Any Updates for CS3? Also, seams, seams, SEAMS, aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Jul 30, 2010, 5:57:17 PM7/30/10
to madpattern
Hi Matt,

BAD ASS! Thank you so much for sharing.

Two questions:

1. Any updates for CS3, I know it's unlikely you'll go backwards, but
thought I'd ask.

*** If anyone out there has saved the templates back, please let me
know. I've been using the one P4M for a while now. ***

2. THE SEAMS. No matter what I do, there always seems to be seams. :-)
Even by filling in the background. It's not from not aligning my
bounding box properly, because I see the seams as I'm creating the
pattern as well. Are the seams just on the screen, do they print? I
tried on my printer and I don't see them, but my printer isn't near
the quality of a press.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Matt Handler

Jul 30, 2010, 8:13:48 PM7/30/10
to madpa...@googlegroups.com
as for CS3 compatibility, i have not had a chance to get to those (other than the p4m one), if there's a big demand for it i'll be likely to convert them all in the near future.

as for the seams question... it's complicated.  as far as i can tell, the seams will usually only show when you are in illustrator (and you'll notice they change depending on what zoom level you are at too), but when saving as images and printing, the seams don't show up.  the one place where i have seen them show up on an export is when you have images that are translucent (opacity < 100% or any layer effect other than normal) that are also intersecting with the edges of the repeating cell.

there is not much i can do about the seams, as illustrator only allows 3 decimals of precision in transformations and some of the transformations are irrational numbers.

-matt

Jul 31, 2010, 1:48:54 PM7/31/10
to madpattern
Hey Matt,

Any way I could get the CS3 templates if I make a donation of $20?

Thanks,

On Jul 30, 7:13 pm, Matt Handler <m...@madpattern.com> wrote:
> as for CS3 compatibility, i have not had a chance to get to those (other
> than the p4m one), if there's a big demand for it i'll be likely to convert
> them all in the near future.
>
> as for the seams question... it's complicated.  as far as i can tell, the
> seams will *usually* only show when you are in illustrator (and you'll
> notice they change depending on what zoom level you are at too), but when
> saving as images and printing, the seams don't show up.  the one place where
> i have seen them show up on an export is when you have images that are
> translucent (opacity < 100% or any layer effect other than normal) that are
> also intersecting with the edges of the repeating cell.
>
> there is not much i can do about the seams, as illustrator only allows 3
> decimals of precision in transformations and some of the transformations are
> irrational numbers.
>
> -matt

Matt Handler

Jul 31, 2010, 5:54:58 PM7/31/10
to madpa...@googlegroups.com
just got back from a day at the pool and was feeling good so i put together the cs3 files.  you can download them here: http://www.madpattern.com/madpattern.1.0.cs3.zip

please test them and and let me know if they work for you

thanks!
-matt