[MCN] Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 27

Kevin Tizzard

Apr 25, 2010, 4:30:21 AM4/25/10
to Madness Central Newsletter
Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 27
18th April-24th April 2010

Welcome to the 27th edition of the Madness Central Weekly Newsletter.

If you've missed any previous issues you can catch up by viewing the groups archive at:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/madness-central-newsletter?hl=en

Madness Central: Quote Us On That ...

Madness Central Forum
A free, fun and informative way to communicate on-line with other Madness fans around the globe.
Register for the discussion boards here:
http://www.madness-central.com/forum

The Madness Central Blog
First for all the breaking news. Subscribe to the blog, via RSS feed or e-mail delivery, and get the latest news as and when it happens. View the Madness Central Blog at:
http://www.madness-central.com/blog

Newsletter Contents

1. Latest News And Information
2. Suggs: My Family Values - The Guardian
3. Ben Sherman teams up with Madness for new clothing line and exclusive intimate gig
4. Suggs is Mad on Cider - The Daily Star
5. Suggs hands over cheque to Children's Hospital
6. The USM Absolutely & Seven Reissue MadChart Contest: Closing Date Extended.
7. Chas Smash joins the Madness Central Forum
8. BBC Radio 6: Woody Interview with
Steve Lamacq
9. Contacting Madness Central
10. Madness Central Newsletter Subscription Details

1. Latest News And Information

The following news items are taken from the Madness Central Blog at:
http://www.madness-central.com/blog
You can also subscribe to the blogs feed, either via email or RSS at:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/madnesscentralblog

Second Chance To Win Tickets To Madness Secret London Gig – 5th May 2010

Following on from yesterday’s blog here http://http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=145 announcing the chance to win tickets to a secret London gig on 5th May 2010, we’re excited to reveal another chance to win tickets for the gig via the homepage at the bands official website http://www.madness.co.uk/...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=148

Ben Sherman teams up with Madness for new clothing line and exclusive intimate gig

Ben Sherman has collaborated with Madness to bring you an exclusive range of clothing for the Autumn season. Consisting of three T-shirts, a polo shirt, three shirts and a Harrington jacket, all in monochrome, this collaboration continues Ben Sherman’s association with music icons since the 60s and further reiterates the brand’s credentials in bringing together music and style...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=145

Note: The above blog has also been reproduced in its entirety in Section 3 of this newsletter.

Win Woody’s Marathon Running Shoes… Final Details on Contest

Pardoning the doubled-pun, in a mad dash to get the contest to win Madness drummer Woody’s running shoes from the 2009 London Marathon launched yesterday, we didn’t have much time to do more than announce the contest. Today, we have the full details on entering the contest, including Woody’s sponsorship page (benefiting Cancer Research UK) and the entry form on the Madness Central site...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=143

Win Woody’s 2009 London Marathon Running Shoes! Donate Today!

It took some doing to get this Madness Central contest off the ground, and with only a few days until the London Marathon it might seem too late, but never fear, you’ll have plenty of time to enter to win this year’s prize by simply donating to Woody’s charity (Cancer Research UK). What is this prize?...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=139

2. Suggs: My Family Values - The Guardian

Source: The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/musicblog/2010/apr/17/suggs-madness-family-values

The musician talks about his family values ...
Jo Mears
The Guardian, Saturday 17 April 2010

My early life was chaotic as we moved around a lot. Mum was a single parent, which was a big stigma back in those days. She was a jazz singer who made ends meet by working as a barmaid and she took me round to pubs and clubs in Soho. My earliest memory of that time is of the legs of bar stools, and an occasional hand reaching down through a cloud of smoke to ruffle my hair. What's important is that my childhood made me stronger.

When I was eight, Mum took me to visit my Auntie Diana in Haverfordwest and then left me there for three years because she felt she couldn't cope. It was a shock and I did feel bitter and angry about it for a while, but not any more. I get a bit sick of knocking my mum in the press all the time. She's a good listener – she's even fostered several children – and we are still very close. I've just been out for lunch with her and I see her every couple of weeks. Looking back, I realise she did the best she could at the time.

I actually liked being in my auntie's family with my three cousins and I got to be in the countryside for the first time. In Wales, I passed the 11-plus and went to the grammar school, but when I returned to London I fell in with the bad boys – who were the most interesting and intelligent.

Mum had a good singing voice, but I knew I wasn't a natural. Mum always had lots of records and good books lying around and I got the name Suggs from a jazz singer called Pete Suggs, who I found in her jazz encyclopaedia.

The two important things she passed on to me are to be truthful and the value of having a good conversation – one where you are utterly truthful and have no axe to grind. The worst trait in Soho was to be a bore and you had to be on the ball with so many intelligent people around, such as Jeffrey Bernard and Francis Bacon.

My dad, by all accounts, was a heroin addict and I never knew him. I have at times been tempted to find out more about him but then I think, why bother? I wanted to leave that all behind me when I met my wife, Anne. We got together when I was 18 and we had our first child at 21. Having children made me grow up and stop thinking about myself all the time. I felt with children it was a new beginning – I'm glad I didn't have a son, though, because I'd have been a rotten role model.

I'm very proud of my fabulous girls, Scarlet, 26, and Viva, 24. They are both in a band but I'm more proud of them as human beings. If I have passed any values on to them I hope it is to be compassionate in every way – to have a notion of what is going on around them in any given situation and not to be oblivious. It's important not to miss the moment as it's happening. That is something my mum has taught me – to live in the right here, right now.

Mum also made me realise that money is of no concern. Madness never made a lot of money because it was split between seven people. When I had less I was happier because I didn't need to worry about the car being scratched. As long as I've got my family, my shed and my cider-making equipment I'm happy. Watching the sun go down at our beach hut in Whitstable – even though it's the size of a phone box – is far better than being on a big yacht in Saint Tropez.

3. Ben Sherman teams up with Madness for new clothing line and exclusive intimate gig

Ben Sherman has collaborated with Madness to bring you an exclusive range of clothing for the Autumn season. Consisting of three T-shirts, a polo shirt, three shirts and a Harrington jacket, all in monochrome, this collaboration continues Ben Sherman’s association with music icons since the 60s and further reiterates the brand’s credentials in bringing together music and style.

To celebrate, Ben Sherman and Madness are putting on an intimate gig on May 5th, and we’re giving one person the opportunity to win a pair of VIP tickets, including travel and an overnight stay in London. Tickets for this gig are not available to buy anywhere, so this really is the ultimate prize for any fan of the nutty boys!

In addition to this fantastic prize, the winner will also receive an album, signed photo and a Ben Sherman x Madness Harrington jacket from the collection.

Ten runners up will receive the Ben Sherman x Madness Harrington Jackets and a copy of Madness’ latest album, The Liberty of Norton Folgate.

Entries must be received by Midnight Wednesday 28th April.

Enter To Win Tickets Here:
http://brand.bensherman.com/madness/

Preview The Clothing Collection Here:
http://brand.bensherman.com/madness/preview.php

4. Suggs is Mad on Cider - The Daily Star

Source: The Daily Star
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/131575/Suggs-is-Mad-on-cider/

MADNESS singer Suggs makes his own moonshine in his garden shed.

The 49-year-old frontman, who is known for his love of sheds, said that all he needed to be happy was his wife Bette Bright, daughters Scarlet and Viva, and his cider press. He said: “As long as I’ve got my family, my shed and my cider-making equipment I’m happy.”

5. Suggs hands over cheque to Children's Hospital

Source: The Londoners Diary, The Evening Standard
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/

Madness frontman Suggs handed a cheque for £1,000 to Great Ormond Street Children’s hospital this morning. The money was raised by the annual French House Pints day. Suggs presented the cheque to Martin Harris, London Regional fundraiser for GOSH, who was “thrilled with the generosity of Soho drinkers”.

6. The USM Absolutely & Seven Reissue MadChart Contest: Closing Date Extended.

Following a record number of entries, we've decided to extend the closing date for the above competition until: Monday 3rd May. For those who haven't yet submitted their MadCharts, you can win the following ...

First Prize:
One copy of the Seven 2 CD reissue, one copy of the Absolutely "regular cover" 2 CD reissue, and one copy of the Absolutely "withdrawn cover" 2 CD reissue

Second Prize:
One copy of the Seven 2 CD reissue and one copy of the "regular cover" Absolutely 2 CD reissue

Third Prize:
One copy of the Seven 2 CD reissue
Full details can be found on Madness Central at:
http://www.madness-central.com/interactive/madchart/madchart.html

7. Chas Smash joins the Madness Central Forum

In a week that saw the total number of site visitors to Madness Central pass the quarter of a million mark, Chas Smash graced our forum to discuss the lyrics to The Fish And Chip Parade. Below is the full post ...

If you haven't done so already, you can join the Madness Central Forum at:
http://www.madness-central.com/forum

"Hello Madness Central,

I thought I had better join as I came across an explanation of The Fish and Chip Parade and felt compelled to first say well done on the translation front and its an honour to amongst the community. Thank you all for your commitment, support and to those who create and administer Madness Central a heart pat on the back and 7 gold stars.....

Trade = sex

Doolally ( explained correctly) Lob ( lump of money) = nutty with cash, ergo out on the tear...

Richard= woman.... Richard the III = bird

Kettle= watch. from kettle and hob = Fob. a Fob watch

Parcel= a term for goods that have probably been stolen

ream = top quality

May the gods smile on all
Smash"

8. BBC Radio 6: Woody Interview with Steve Lamacq.

Presenter Steve Lamacq chats with Madness drummer Woody ahead of his London Marathon challenge on Sunday.

Listen to the Full Interview and show on BBC IPlayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s37l8/Steve_Lamacq_23_04_2010/

The Interview begins around the 44 minute mark with the following subjects are discussed ...

- The marathon and his training for it.
- The fitness of the rest of the band.
- How Woody got into running.
- The name of the gym where Woody trains.
- He's aiming for 3 hrs 30 mins this year.
- The boost he gets from being cheered on while running.
- A brief chat at the end about the band appearing at festivals over the summer with mention of T In The Park and V.
- He's then asked to choose a song to run to between Faithless "Mass Destruction" or Hot Chip "Over & Over" - he chooses Faithless.

9. Contacting Madness Central

You can send all communications relating to Madness Central to the e-mail address:
ad...@madness-central.com

10. Madness Central Newsletter Subscription Details.

Subscribing to the Newsletter:

If you are reading this newsletter via Google, Facebook and/or RSS feed, you can have this newsletter delivered weekly directly to your e-mail inbox.

To subscribe, visit the Madness Central website at:
http://www.madness-central.com
and use the relevant subscription box displayed on the homepage.

Alternatively, you can send a blank e-mail to:
madness-central-ne...@googlegroups.com

Note: You will need to reply to a confirmation e-mail prior to your subscription being processed. With some ISP’s this email may be filtered directly into your spam/junk folder.

How to Unsubscribe:

If you no longer wish to receive the Madness Central Newsletter, send an e-mail to:
madness-central-new...@googlegroups.com

--
Madness Central
http://www.madness-central.com