Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 19

Kevin Tizzard

Feb 21, 2010, 1:49:14 PM2/21/10
to Madness Central Newsletter
Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 19
14th - 21st February 2010

Welcome to the 19th edition of the Madness Central Weekly Newsletter.

If you've missed any previous issues you can catch up by viewing the groups archive at:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/madness-central-newsletter?hl=en

Newsletter Contents

1. Latest News And Information
2. Madness and X Factor contestants to feature in York Racecourse concerts
3. Our House at Scalby School: Cast and audience had great fun
4. www.retro-madness.co.uk - This week's Special Offer
5. Marquee acts signed up for Cork shows
6. Contacting Madness Central
7. Madness Central Newsletter Subscription Details

1. Latest News And Information

The following news items are taken from the Madness Central Blog at:
http://www.madness-central.com/blog
You can also subscribe to the blogs feed, either via email or RSS at:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/madnesscentralblog

Madness Confirmed for York Racecourse Gig in July

The Official Madness Website has announced a new gig for this summer: The Music Showcase Weekend at the York Racecourse. Details from the York Racecourse website: Offering a little extra entertainment; top quality action on both the track and the live music stage...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=43

Win Tickets to Madness’ French/German Gigs In May

News just in via the official Madness News List e-mail that French and German fans (or anyone willing to travel we guess) really can go gathering nuts in May...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=41

Madness Easy Listening Sessions Now On-line

It’s come to light this morning (Valentines Day – must be something to do with sharing the love) that a number of easy listening tracks recorded by Madness are now available on line ...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=31

2. Madness and X Factor contestants to feature in York Racecourse concerts

Original Source: The York Press.
http://tinyurl.com/y8l9ft2

The nuttiest sound around is coming to York Racecourse this summer when Madness play at the close of the evening race meeting on Friday, July 23.  The following day, in a repeat of last year’s after-racing Saturday entertainment, runner-up Ollie Murs will lead the line-up for The Stars From The X Factor, also featuring fellow 2009 finalists Jamie, Rachel and Lucy.

James Brennan, the course’s head of marketing and sponsorship, said: “We don’t know what to expect the attendance will be on the Friday night, but Madness draw 20,000 when they play at Newmarket, and if we get 20,000 on Friday and 30,000-plus on the Saturday, it’s good news for us, good news for the hotels and good news for the wider city.”

Last year’s equivalent Saturday meeting attracted a crowd of more than 35,000, when the day finished with the first X Factor show at the course.

“It was a glorious sunny day and it seemed to capture the imagination,” said Mr Brennan.

Negotiations to secure a band of the stature of London ska legends Madness began last autumn.

“We have dabbled with tribute acts so far for Friday evenings to test the water, and while by definition they have to be great performers and generate wonderful support once they’re there, they are not something that makes you say: ‘I must book for that’,” said Mr Brennan. “So we started looking for a headline act in their own right last October and went through the process of thinking, ‘which band would we like?’ and ‘who is touring?’, and then came the discussion of the fee. It’s been an interesting journey to get to the gig.”

Asked how much Madness were costing York Racecourse, Mr Brennan said: “By the time you add in the stage, it’s five figures and then some, and it’s worth saying the staging and the sound will be better than before. We’re now in discussions about how the show will be presented, and we know that we’ll be working our two big screens very hard.”

Race-day tickets for both days are already on sale with “And Live Music” as part of the cost.
Tickets can be booked on 01904 620911.

3. Our House at Scalby School: Cast and audience had great fun

Original Source: Scarborough Evening News
http://tinyurl.com/y8l5cfn

Scalby School's production of Our House was a tremendous success. With outstanding performances from the leads, topped by first-class dancing and all the numbers sang to perfection, it was a really great show.
It was wonderful to see the whole cast on stage, singing, dancing, and thoroughly enjoying themselves.

Told using various Madness songs, the storyline itself told a tale of Joe Casey’s life and how his father made the wrong decisions. It is rare to find a performance without any bad points, but Scalby managed to pull it off.

A great time was had by not only the audience, but the cast as well. The band gave excellent renditions of the famous songs, and the whole performance had the audience gripped. Another all-round brilliant performance from Scalby.

4. www.retro-madness.co.uk - This week's Special Offer

As a further clearance offer, the price of the UK 1 Track promo CDs for the last 5x Madness singles have all been reduced on the Retro-Madness website to just £6.99 each including UK postage or £29.99 inc p&p for all 5. All of them except Dust Devil include press release sheets.

Click the link below and scroll approx 1/4 down the page to see them:

http://retro-madness.co.uk/

Happy browsing, Chris & Emma.

5. Marquee acts signed up for Cork shows

Original Source: The Kerryman
http://tinyurl.com/y9rhnnh

Organisers of the Live at the Marquee festival have unveiled the latest two acts to be added to the bill for next summer's music extravaganza. Veteran US thrash metals rockers Megadeth will play the venue for the first time on Monday, June 14, with British Ska outfit Madness set to play the Marquee on Friday, July 9.

This will be the second time that Madness have played the Marquee having sold out their gig at the venue in 2007. A host of further top Irish and international acts are set to be announced over the coming weeks and months for the festival, which will return to Cork in June for the sixth year running.

Now firmly established as one of the premier events of its kind in Europe, Live at the Marquee has already played host to acts including Elton John, Rod Stewart, The Who, Christy Moore and Bob Dylan.

With a 5,000 capacity the distinctive red and blue marquee attracts more than 100,000 visitors to Cork for the three-week duration of the festival, generating millions of euro for the local economy. Acts already announced for this year's festival include JLS, Kenny Rogers, Deep Purple, Christy Moore, Tony Bennett and comedian Dara O'Briain.

The Dockland's venue is also set to host a two-week run of the smash West End musical from Tuesday, July 20. Tickets for the Megadeth and Madness gigs will go on sale this Friday morning priced at €39.50 and €59.80 respectively.

For more information about ticket availability and prices for the other gigs visit www.ticketmaster.ie.

6. Contacting Madness Central

You can send all communications relating to Madness Central to the e-mail address:
ad...@madness-central.com

7. Madness Central Newsletter Subscription Details.

Subscribing to the Newsletter:

If you are reading this newsletter via Google, Facebook and/or RSS feed, you can have this newsletter delivered weekly directly to your e-mail inbox.

To subscribe, visit the Madness Central website at:
http://www.madness-central.com
and use the relevant subscription box displayed on the homepage.

Alternatively, you can send a blank e-mail to:
madness-central-ne...@googlegroups.com

Note: You will need to reply to a confirmation e-mail prior to your subscription being processed. With some ISP’s this email may be filtered directly into your spam/junk folder.

How to Unsubscribe:

If you no longer wish to receive the Madness Central Newsletter, send an e-mail to:
madness-central-new...@googlegroups.com