[MCN] Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 28

Kevin Tizzard

Apr 30, 2010, 10:31:10 AM4/30/10
to Madness Central Newsletter
Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 28
24th April-30th April 2010

Welcome to the 28th edition of the Madness Central Weekly Newsletter.

If you've missed any previous issues you can catch up by viewing the groups archive at:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/madness-central-newsletter?hl=en

Madness Central: Quote Us On That ...

Madness Central Forum
A free, fun and informative way to communicate on-line with other Madness fans around the globe.
Register for the discussion boards here:
http://www.madness-central.com/forum

The Madness Central Blog
First for all the breaking news. Subscribe to the blog, via RSS feed or e-mail delivery, and get the latest news as and when it happens. View the Madness Central Blog at:
http://www.madness-central.com/blog

Newsletter Contents

1. Latest News And Information

2. A few words from John Reed, Author of the forthcoming book 'House Of Fun - The Story of Madness'
3. Madness Central Updates: The Nutty Caption
4. Chas Smash talks about Madness books on the MC Forum
5. Mojo Review of Seven Reissue
6. Clive Langer speaks to Madness Central Exclusively about Shark Trek
7. Madness in Moscow: Various YouTube Clips and Setlist.
8. www.retro-madness.co.uk - This week's special offer...
9. Contacting Madness Central
10. Madness Central Newsletter Subscription Details

1. Latest News And Information

The following news items are taken from the Madness Central Blog at:
http://www.madness-central.com/blog
You can also subscribe to the blogs feed, either via email or RSS at:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/madnesscentralblog

Clive Langer speaks to Madness Central on Shark Trek, Deaf School and Suggs

Clive Langer, guitarist for the renowned Liverpool band Deaf School (and Madness producer), sent Madness Central his thoughts on the recent Shark Trek tribute to Eric Shark, Deaf School’s recently passed vocalist and friend. Suggs and Lee of Madness were asked to join the festivities; here’s what Clive had to share ...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=151

Note: The above blog has also been reproduced in its entirety in Section 6 of this newsletter.

Woody’s London Marathon 2010 Results

Our favourite drummer, Madness’ Daniel “Woody” Woodgate, has turned in a stellar showing at this year’s London Marathon, the second time he’s run the marathon. Bettering his 2009 finish time by nearly a full five minutes (3:37:28 was his final clocking), Woody should be insanely proud of the hard work and intensive training he put in since last year’s run...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=154

Chrissy Boy alerts Madness Central to the Return of the Axecam and the impending Return of Chris’ Cupboard

Madness Central received word today from guitarist Chris “Chrissy Boy” Foreman that his long-fallow Axecam and Cupboard are back in action...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=158

2. A few words from John Reed, Author of the forthcoming book 'House Of Fun - The Story of Madness'

With Madness books (both current and never-to-see-the-light-of-day) featuring in this weeks newsletter, author John Reed updates us on his forthcoming book, 'House of Fun - The Story of Madness', along with random Sunday afternoon phone calls ...

"I got a phone call the other day. It was from a Madness fan a lot of you will know, Stuart Wright. I was having a lazy Sunday, around two-ish. Stu sounded in a good mood - I presumed the background hubbub meant he was in the pub. I was right. He said, hey John, I've got someone here for you. And a deep-voiced gent came on the line. "Alright, Joe?" "No, the name's John," I said. "John Reed. Who's that?" I'd already guessed but you know what they say. Never assume because you make an "ass" of "u" and "me". "It's Lee." "Hello Lee." "You alright, Joe?" "I'm fine, Lee. But it's John Reed." (pause) "John Reed? That the author John Reed?" Lee Thompson - or what remained of him, at least. Made my day.

I spoke with Stuart later - he of Nut Inc. fame. Tales of drunken forays into the West End and stumbling into late-night private members' clubs followed - also of waking up with stockings on heads. Sounded about right. I'd only recently spoken with the quite charming Louis Vause about his exploits with BUtterfield 8 and the Nutty Boys. Chalk and cheese, those two acts. Louis had regaled me with anecdote upon anecdote, which usually revolved about Mr. Thompson's mix of inspiration and perspiration, anarchic humour and alcohol. There's a reality TV show right there. But the reality is no-one would be genius enough to make it.

The week before, I'd been bending John Wynne's ear about my endless fascination with 'Kix' - or, at least, the idea of him. How he was the Brian Jones of Madness, this creative hotpot, a catalyst for creativity, the one true Nutty Boy, the beating heart of Madness in spirit. "And getting in the way!" deadpanned John, the lads' faithful road manager back in the day, whom they nicknamed "The Sarge". He laughed: a lot of love there. They still drink in the same boozer in Barnet. Apparently, so John recalled, Lee had the original concept for 'House Of Fun' buzzing around in his head in early 1980.

Since writing last, the next mountain in the book which needed climbing was Madstock. The big comeback. Virgin's Steve Pritchard had explained the background to Divine Madness - I'd worked with Steve a few years back on a JV (industry slang for 'joint venture') TV album called One Step Beyond, mixing our Trojan ska with EMI-Virgin's 2 Tone stuff. Steve invented that Best Album In The World Ever series, so he's an institution in CD land. But Madstock? I had nothing. Eventually, I spoke with agent Barry Dickins, brother of Rob - who'd funded Madness' very first demo. But while Barry might be one of the most powerful agents and promoters, story-telling is not his strong point.

After much digging, desperate for some narrative flow (the drug of choice for the jobbing scribe), I finally tracked down Madness' "informal" manager of the period, Steve Finan. He's a lovely fella, very low profile - considering he's the son of Tom O'Connor and the husband of Denise Lewis. And he managed Five and All Saints. As the story behind Madstock unraveled, I got quite excited. Transpires that the gig very nearly didn't happen. Without giving the game away, I'll just quote Jerry Maguire: "Show me the money, man. show me the MONEY!" Wasn't it ever: the money materialized, the earth shook and the rest . well, the rest is history I've still to write"

- John Reed.

3. Madness Central Updates: The Nutty Caption

Have you ever seen a picture of Madness and, with puzzled amazement, said to yourself, "Just what the blue blazes were they thinking?" Why not put some words in the mouths of Madness and answer that question for yourself?

The Nutty Caption has been updated and this time features Suggs ...

http://www.madness-central.com/interactive/caption/caption.php

4. Chas Smash talks about Madness books on the MC forum

Following his recent post regarding the lyrics and meanings behind 'Fish And Chips', Mr Smash once again graced our forum with his presence and shared his thoughts about Madness related books ...

You can join the Madness Central forum at:
http://www.madness-central.com/forum

"The John Reed book is happening and i like the fact that he is writing it as we have stopped Four books so far, too many cooks etc. so it will be interesting to see what comes of this one..as its not sanctioned it will be most exciting to see who speaks, will the truth come out? will reputations be made or lost? should we take sandwiches? will all be lost or gained? who knows?

Adrian was up for a book and there is a guy who is meant to be writing an official book but the truth is that the band are enthusiastically lazy and it will never see the light of day...well if you have ever waited for Mr Barson in the morning or tried to argue the history with Mr Foreman then you may understand the meaning of futility..

this is the word of smash
"

5. Mojo Review of Seven Reissue

Source: http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/

"It's an anomaly that Madness can be considered a knees-up, Slade-type British pop institution when their songs so regularly touch on the grim things in life; in the case of 7, you get terminal illness, a heart attack, burglary, drug addicted rent boys and alienation in song form. But as in the case of Grey Day, a disconnected doom-reggae skank of frightening intensity for a number 4 hit, the hip shaking pop soundtracks are ebullient enough to maintain balance, with abundant chemistry and writing talent in evidence - see sax man Lee Thompson's surreal Benny Bullfrog and Pac-A-Mac, and Suggs's lovelorn Missing You (all co-writes) for range.

An apt mid-point between the Beano-like splendour of One Step Beyond and Absolutely and the more grown up moves of their later albums, the extras include B-sides, a lively Richard Skinner radio session, some genius promo vids and bang on sleevenotes by David Quantick."

- Ian Harrison

6. Clive Langer speaks to Madness Central Exclusively about Shark Trek

Clive Langer, guitarist for the renowned Liverpool band Deaf School (and Madness producer), sent Madness Central his thoughts on the recent Shark Trek tribute to Eric Shark, Deaf School’s recently passed vocalist and friend. Suggs and Lee of Madness were asked to join the festivities; here’s what Clive had to share:

"It’s a week ago since I awoke in the Hope Street Hotel and proceeded to Ye Crack for a bloody whatever and tried to gather my thoughts and take in what had happened the day before. I felt happy and exhausted. I then realized that I’d been on the Everyman stage for 7 hours the day before, 4 rehearsing and 3 hours doing 2 performances.

It was a very special show for a special man. It was a tribute to Eric Shark, one of Deaf School’s 3 singers who sadly died in January. To make the show into a fitting tribute, we asked a couple of our friends if they would sing one or two of his songs, they all agreed and we found ourselves as a 13 piece outfit for the first time since 1974. Not only did Suggs and Lee agree, but we also had Kevin Rowland, Ian Broudie and Pete Whiley on board.

Although chaotic everything worked out amazingly well. It was only the afternoon of the show that we had our whole entourage together but at showtime that didn’t matter or notice,and doing 2 shows in one night gave everyone a second chance, and they all took it!

The first show was brilliant and we all (band+audience) knew something special was going on,but we couldn’t have imagined what was gonna happen next….As soon as we hit the stage for the second show with Suggs walking on to do Eric’s old intro monologue, the place erupted and luckily the roof didn’t come down. By now our special guests had sussed out that Enrico and Bette were not gonna be out shone and everyone pulled out all their stops with creative, competitive + fun performances that went down a storm. A couple of times I just stopped playing and watched the crowd and singers interact in a frenzy of dancing, kicking, arm waving, singingalonging and blissful joy!! I realized at this point that it didn’t really make any difference whether I was playing or not, the night’s wheels were in motion and the momentum was bigger than all of us.

Eric would have been very happy, his presence was with us throughout the day, and both shows. It was great to have his family, the band, guests and audience in the same place to celebrate the man and his incredible contribution to Deaf School, as a friend and an artist

Love was in the air
All the best Cliff a.k.a Clive Langer"

The above, and pictures, from the Shark Trek event can now be found in the Interviews section on Madness Central:
http://www.madness-central.com/interviews/sharktrek/CliveSharkTrek.html

7. Madness in Moscow: Various YouTube Clips and Setlist.

Venue: B1 Club, Moscow, Russia Date: 28th April 2010

One step beyond (Live @ Moscow, Russia 28.04.2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCBQMAutRP8

NW5 (I Would Give You Everything) Live @ Moscow, Russia 28.04.2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDBxyxJ-swU

Clerkenwell Polka (Live @ Moscow, Russia 28.04.2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prKX_nfYbVQ

Baggy Trousers (Live @ Moscow, Russia 28.04.2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgQOsgb5ZgM

Our House (Live @ Moscow, Russia 28.04.2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOIu7Yd0a0s

Set List:
One Step Beyond - Embarrassment - The Prince - NW5 - My Girl - Dust Devil - The Sun And The Rain - Take It Or Leave It - Iron Shirt - Clerkenwell Polka - Taller Than You - Shut Up - Bed And Breakfast Man - Forever Young - House Of Fun - Baggy Trousers - Our House - It Must Be Love.

Encore:
Swan Lake - Madness - Night Boat to Cairo

8. www.retro-madness.co.uk - This week's special offer...

This week we have managed to track down a couple of copies of the Stiff Records bible "Stiff: The Story of a Record Label" published in 1983 and personally signed by the author Bert Muirhead. The brilliantly illustrated book details all of the Stiff releases up to its date of publication and having been out of print for many years is highly sought after. The cheapest unsigned one you will find on Amazon in good condition is £42.75 inc p&p. We have priced these signed copies at just £19.99 and we still have a couple of unsigned editions left priced at £14.99.

Click the link below and you will find the signed book 4th item down from the top. The unsigned version will find in the books section by clicking the 'In Print' tab via the link below:

http://retro-madness.co.uk/

We still have a few copies left of the Forever Young UK promo CD reduced from £9.99 to just £4.99 including UK postage. The CD plays the radio edit version which is quite different from the album track, it also includes an A4 press release sheet. This bargain price is even less than we paid for them!

Click the link above and scroll ¼ of the way down the page to view them.

Happy browsing!
Chris & Emma

9. Contacting Madness Central

You can send all communications relating to Madness Central to the e-mail address:
ad...@madness-central.com

10. Madness Central Newsletter Subscription Details.

Subscribing to the Newsletter:

If you are reading this newsletter via Google, Facebook and/or RSS feed, you can have this newsletter delivered weekly directly to your e-mail inbox.

To subscribe, visit the Madness Central website at:
http://www.madness-central.com
and use the relevant subscription box displayed on the homepage.

Alternatively, you can send a blank e-mail to:
madness-central-ne...@googlegroups.com

Note: You will need to reply to a confirmation e-mail prior to your subscription being processed. With some ISP’s this email may be filtered directly into your spam/junk folder.

How to Unsubscribe:

If you no longer wish to receive the Madness Central Newsletter, send an e-mail to:
madness-central-new...@googlegroups.com