Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 5.

Kevin Tizzard

Nov 7, 2009, 2:44:01 AM11/7/09
to madness-centr...@googlegroups.com
Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 5:
31st October – 6th November 2009.

Welcome to the fifth issue of the Madness Central Newsletter.

If you've missed the previous issues you can catch up by viewing the groups archive at:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/madness-central-newsletter?hl=en

Contents:

1. Latest News And Information
2. Win A Copy Of 'The Liberty Of Norton Folgate (Silver Edition)'
3. Pet Shop Boys Christmas EP to include My Girl
4. Madness Central Forum: Can we reach 1000 members?
5. Madness Central Update: Nutty Caption
6. "We never wanted to be a ska band" laut.de Interview
7. Contacting Madness Central
8. Newsletter Subscription Details.

1. Latest News And Information

The following are the currently weekly news snippet(s) taken from the Madness Central blog at:
http://www.madness-central.com/blog

# Looking For A Tribute?

As reported earlier in the week the 30th Anniversary Tribute Album from French MIS and Big 8 Records is now available to buy through the Mad Shop via the official Madness site.

Priced at £10 the album, which has been described as “overall quite brilliant and touching to me” by none other than Mr C.J.Foreman, is a fantastic package of cover versions recorded by bands from across the Madniverse and featuring diverse styles such as Electro Dub, Jazzy, Funk, Acoustic, Punk-Rock, Ska, Reggae, Pop, Latino.

Read the complete blog here:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=761

# 30th Anniversary Tribute Album Availability Increases

News in today from our friends at French MIS that the excellent 30th Anniversary Tribute Album will shortly be available to buy from an increased number of outlets both on-line and in the shops, including none other than the Mad Shop via the official Madness site.

The album which contains covers of Madness tracks from far and wide across the Madniverse and that was previously blogged here and has received approval from the band, including one Mr C.J.Foreman who was moved to say: "The tribute album is overall quite brilliant, and quite touching to me" ...

Read the complete blog here:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=754

2. Win A Copy Of The Liberty Of Norton Folgate (Silver Edition)

For the first time, in this time, in your time we give you…..The Liberty Of Norton Folgate (Silver Edition).

So you've bought the box set, and single CD versions, now here’s your chance to win a copy of the deluxe “silver” edition of Madness' latest masterpiece 'The Liberty Of Norton Folgate' to be released on 9th November 2009.

This edition features not only the whole single CD version of the album with its collection of tales of London, of darkness and of joy, but also comes with a DVD of the acclaimed Julien Temple film which was recorded over three glorious nights at the Hackney Empire in June 2008 and sees Messrs Smyth and McPherson leading you on a journey through a dark and dank London. Weaving their way through the backstreets as they regale the viewer with their stories and merriment, all interspersed between footage from the shows that at times illuminate the London backdrop through which you are being led, all making the DVD a perfect accompaniment to the CD.

Three years in the making, the album has received both public and critical acclaim, peaking at number 5 in the album charts and seeing Madness at their busiest since the 1980's. From the opening anthem that is "We Are London" to the closing magnum opus that is the title track, and encompassing all the trademark Madness touches in between, the album really is the band at their finest - add to that the DVD that shows them plying their trade to a live audience in a way that only a director of Julien Temple's stature could conceive, this is a must have package for any fan - and now you have your chance to win a copy courtesy of those nice people at Lucky Seven Records and the Madness Management Team.

If you'd like to enter to win a copy of 'The Liberty of Norton Folgate (Silver Edition)' (kindly provided by Lucky 7 Records and The Madness Management Team) point your browser to The Madness Central competition page answer the simple question in the space provided and leave your name and e-mail address. The winner will be drawn after the competition closes at 5pm GMT on 9th November 2009.

Enter the competition here:
http://www.madness-central.com/interactive/feature/feature.html

3. Pet Shop Boys Christmas EP to include My Girl

Following Bob Dylan's Christmas album comes another surprise festive platter from Pet Shop Boys.

The synth maestros aren't going all-out with a full album of holiday tunes, but are releasing an EP titled Christmas with some choice musical nuggets.

The five-track EP includes a new version of All Over The World, a song from their most recent studio album, as well as an updated version of It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas, which was originally an exclusive Christmas single issued to members of the Pet Shop Boys fan club in 1997.

Both new versions have added orchestral and choral arrangements to give them even more seasonal oomph. Also included is the band's version of Madness classic My Girl, which they originally performed with Suggs and Carl of Madness at last year's charity benefit, Can You Bear It?. The EP also includes a medley of Coldplay's Viva La Vida and their own classic Domino Dancing, which has one down a storm on their current tour.

Source: http://www.metro.co.uk/

4. Madness Central Forum: Can we reach 1000 members?

Posted on the Madness Central Forum.
Tue Nov 03, 2009
Steve Bringe, Forum Admin and Madness Central Management

"Hi folks,

I was looking at our membership numbers which are hovering around the 950 mark currently. As you maths wizards will deduce, that's a mere 50 shy of 1000.

Well, we're coming up on the first anniversary of Madness Central, and Kev and I thought at the outset that if we could reach 1000 members in the first year we'd have a unqualified success on our hands.

Beseechments and pleadings: Do you know anyone else in the Madness Interweb World who isn't on Madness Central yet? Think you could convince them to join us? You'll be my forever-hero if you could!"

You can view and subscribe to the Madness Central Forum at:
http://www.madness-central.com/forum

5. Madness Central Update: Nutty Caption

Have you ever seen a picture of Madness and, with puzzled amazement, said to yourself, "Just what the blue blazes were they thinking?" Why not put some words in the mouths of Madness and answer that question for yourself?

The Nutty Caption has been updated once again and can be found at:
http://www.madness-central.com/interactive/caption/caption.php

6. "We never wanted to be a ska band" laut.de Interview

Source: http://www.laut.de/vorlaut/feature/23531/
Translated by Google and edited by Jon Young on the Madness Central Forum.

# Your new record is once again a tribute to your homeland London. Have you ever thought about living elsewhere?

Woody: Very interesting question.

Suggs: There are few places in the world who are very dear to my heart. But London is home.

# You now plays in the middle of Regent Street. Is this a kind of culmination of your career, something like the Abbey Road rooftop concert?

Woody: It would be difficult, because we are not on a roof, but on a stage. I think it is a completely normal appearance, which takes place randomly in the middle of our street."

Suggs: I think the comparison is not so bad. We went to the edge of Carnaby Street, near Saville Row where the Beatles did their thing. That a major road in central London will be completely sealed off for a band that is no mean feat. For me it's really a privilege to be quite comparable to the rooftop concert by the Beatles.

# Is this a similar feeling here so close to the gig time, is it like before your big Madstock performances?

Woody: No, the difference is that we are playing to all sorts of London. People will be recorded by us, whether they like it or not. Today I talked to a few people who have come only to shop and didnt know what's planned today.

Suggs: Our audience now consists of happy shoppers. No, Madstock is our festival for our fans. And although I suspect that even today, some will come for us here, it's nice to think that people just want to shop, and then look Madness are playing. If there really are a half-million people, this will be the biggest concert we've ever played. But also the least for people who have come for just us.

# You are celebrating with a large deluxe release of your 30 years old debut album "One Step Beyond". Do you still remember the excitement when the record had just been released?

Woody: I still remember clearly the day when we went with the Specials and Selecter on tour and tracks from the two tone tour appeared on the album. It was the 19th October 1979, my 19th Birthday. The Roundhouse in Chalk Farm then began a wonderful tour, which brought more excitement, than we ever could dream up. It was an exciting time back then.
But the moment when we had our first album in hand, with our band on the front and our name on it, that was - for us as a big record collector - unbelievable. Vinyl is a tactile piece of history. The record was so encouraging, of course, was just fantastic.

# The record was practically an overnight success. Did the sudden fame change your life?

Suggs: I remember two fans who climbed on my roof one night and called my name. At least I assume that they were fans, they had striped sweaters and masks and were carrying large bags on their backs. Yes, it was strange at the beginning. All of these men crowding us. I remember when I received a cheque for 30,000 pounds, which is still in every respect a great deal of money. But back then it was like a check for three million. I still remember how I said to Dave Robinson (the then boss of Stiff Records) that I think that's scary. This all happened incredibly fast. We were together for quite a while since the first demo's and also played for many concerts, but when suddenly - "One Step Beyond" climbed to number 5 in the charts when we played the Two Tone Tour, including in Germany and France - we were suddenly in the midst of this incredible whirlwind. We had literally no time to think about it too. We released an album and three to four singles a year, shot videos and were constantly invited to 'Top Of The Pops ".

Woody: My private life changed, in fact mainly by the fact that strangers on my way to the laundry greeted me by my first name. I had no washing machine, and therefore often hung around in the laundry around the corner.

Suggs: The history of that time is relatively well known: We once arrived at Heathrow airport, and suddenly we were received by thousands of screaming girls. While we were still amused at the sight of the mob suddenly rushed over us, because the plane with Duran Duran landed next to us. There were just two fat girls with backpacks left - well, fat, one can no longer say that - well, I remember two exceptionally rounded girls ... (laughs). Madness were at the beginning especially a boys-band. Only when we did "My Girl", the situation changed a little. But, as Woody said, we have always tried to keep our feet on the ground. None of us has been infected by this virus "pop star", at least not excessively. Eight of twelve months of the year we were away from home for touring and album recording, so the biggest obstacles in fact was you do not see your friends and your home for so long.

# You have mentioned the Specials, who this year celebrated a triumphant return to live in England. Have you seen a show?

Woody: No, unfortunately not, but I've heard that they were very good. It is somewhat odd that Jerry Dammers is no longer with them, but too many cooks spoil the broth in terms of The Specials.

# They got Amy Winehouse on the stage of a festival for "Ghost Town". If you invite a guest who would you choose?, and for which song?

Suggs: We had Prince Buster for a few songs on stage in Finsbury Park, good for us as a big fans of his music of course, especially after 25 years. Well, who would invite us .. who do you want to sing with us, Woody?

Woody: So I must say, for me there is no better singer than Suggs.

Suggs: Haa Haa Haa. In "Night Boat To Cairo" we some times bring our families on the stage, all the children and now viewers keep coming up at us. We've got no control over on it.

# Woody mentioned earlier that the returned specials are without Dammers. Would it have been possible that Madness had celebrated a comeback with only six?

Suggs: Since we are now, of course, right in the middle of a resurgence, some would like to do more and some less. I mean, we have often played live with a man less, because one had a baby or the other a nervous breakdown. However, it is an interesting point: For me personally Madness is only these seven people together, so it is this year great. Only our guitarist Chris was temporarily absent at the beginning of this album recording, but we waited, and eventually he came back.

# Although back in the early 80s you had ska roots you have quickly left them behind, yet the image of the archetypal ska band you never got rid of. Also your fans always included many skinheads. Did this sometimes annoy you?

Woody: No, you can not really say that you were annoyed by your own fans, right? People are people, are not they? When they come to our gigs and have fun, we are happy. For we can not anyway control who hears our music and who doesnt.

Suggs: In the 80s we were really struggling with the problem that a very small proportion of our audience not only had short hair and was amused, but also had hideous beliefs. These people are - thank God - long since disappeared. I always found it great to see people who love the ska music and fashion at the same time. This style also had a big influence on us. Otherwise, you're right: We never wanted to be a ska band, we had just a couple of ska songs in our repertoire. And that is the case today. First and foremost you make music, and for fun. If the audience sees it the same way, that's better.

Woody: I think the people that have always annoyed us are those in the band.

Suggs: Haa haa, very well said.

# A question is asked about Morrissey singing "national front disco" with a union jack flag at Madstock 92 and things being thrown at him etc... the band reply about the appearance being designed to have an effect...

Suggs: Yeah. Behind him also were photos of Skindheads on a big screen and then he was still with the Union Jack. At that time it was in England just a very provocative idea for a live stage show.

# Thus you have Morrissey's comments about the immigration problems in England two years ago, probably not particularly surprised, I suppose. Have you noticed this debate?

Suggs: No, Morrissey talks a lot, is when the day is long. He knows exactly what he needs to say to make it to print the newspapers.

# All just hot air?

Suggs: Well logically. I mean, an Irishman living in Italy talks about immigration problems in England, which is completely absurd. He heard that in Kensington Market there is no more any English accents, he reportedly said. So what? Camden Town, I also sometimes hear no English accents. We are here in London, this city is full of immigrants, it's always been. What would he have told his parents, who moved to Manchester at the time? Mum, Dad, you have no English accent?

# Your view of the city and its culture is pretty much the opposite of these statements. In one of your new songs says: "Can we make it if we all live together as one big family."

Suggs: So it is. Of course I understand the social problem when drawing a very large number of immigrants in a narrow period at a specified location. If someone moves from Egypt to Addis Ababa, there are always people who do not like this because they fear for their culture. This is understandable. But I personally believe we should be optimistic in this regard.

Woody: A friend of mine is big advocate of the theory that mankind moves closely together again, if the aliens threaten us.

Suggs: Another interesting approach. Otherwise, I would summarize it this way: When you get older you develop more in two ways. Either you are conservative and shun your past or you remain open-minded and recognize that everyone contributes his share to the great whole. The latter is my approach.

# Where do you see are the biggest problems in today's Britain?

Suggs: German journalists, and their stupid questions. :-)

Woody: Great answer. Closely followed by McDonald's.

Suggs: Perhaps the homogenization of our cities. But that now affects the entire world. You walk along a street in London and you could be anywhere in the world.

# Back to music: Ten years ago your "Wonderful" album was released, I could have sworn this would be your last album.

Woody: Really? Was it really soo bad? (everyone laughs)

# In Germany, you had at least as good as no press. Now ten years later, and the recent band interviews for "The Liberty Of Norton Folgate"?

Woody: "Wonderful" was released at the end of the decade in which we had actually only played live our old stuff. 1992 was the first reunion, then we actually played Christmas concerts every year in England, and a couple of Madstocks and some down time and also to Europe a little. In 1999 it was simply time to compose new music again. Then a short time later came the idea to merge into the set covers of old reggae and Ska, just for fun, which then in 2005 that record came out.
During this time, however, we realized how close to us is that sound still is, and then gradually came, the idea to make another album, with the spirit from our old records, in "One Step Beyond" and "Absolutely . At this time we got new management and they were all full committed to this idea. We were fed up, only to be the quiet Madness, that every few years plays their hits. The new record gives us the feeling of a great step forward and thanks to our great team, the record was advertised well this time, unlike 1999, in Germany and other countries. We now know just what we are really good at.

# "Love Struck" at that time you had really been the perfect comeback single in the bag.

Suggs: When I hear "LoveStruck" from time to time on the radio, I really always wonder, why is not a huge hit. Well, in England it was in the Top 10, so not to complain. But, as Woody said, you need a band that has always a well functioning team around them, who directs their dreams in the right direction. Ultimately, we are nothing more than dreamers. For business, we had no idea. Because I really believe that we are now better than ever as a band, we now look more to business matters. We look forward to, for example, very excited about the upcoming releases of our back catalog. Looking back, interestingly, brings us further.

# Your new album is widely celebrated in Germany as well outweigh positive reactions. Have you any idea why this is?

Woody: There can be only one reason: It's a bloody good record!

Suggs: In England, some people spoke of it as a masterpiece, but we put so much work into this record. After our reggae album four years ago, I had the urgent desire to deliver before my hopefully not too soon arriving death, a really strong Madness album. This is a great feeling after all these years of dawdling and procrastinating. After this record, I can fall asleep and close the lid forever, metaphorically speaking, but one should not say out loud anyway, there could be a better record coming.

# After all, it was said, "The Liberty Of Norton Folgate" is your "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band".

Woody: Then we still need to do "Abbey Road" and "Let It Be".

Suggs: Do not forget the "White Album", or was that before "Sgt Pepper"?

Woody: No, wrong, good heavens. So this too!

# Madstock Finsbury Park. Do you remember the occasion?

Woody: Honestly, these performances blur in my memory all together into a great gig. The first Madstock of course, was fantastic. There was also a good year, the year when England had the European Championships on.

Suggs: Exactly, Spain in a penalty shootout. (1996, editor's note) We were in a pub and just before the penalty, the TV fell off the mounting pole. On that day we even had a police escort. Overall, of course, all these concerts were great, but from today's perspective, I must say that the shows at that time, were more or less taken for granted. We came, we played it, finished. Today, I remember a lot better different things from the past few years. In the 90s it was simply far too much chaos in our minds.

madness-central-ne...@googlegroups.com

You will need to reply to a confirmation e-mail prior to your subscription being processed. With some ISP’s this email may be filtered directly into your spam/junk folder.

# How to Unsubscribe:

If you no longer wish to receive the Madness Central Newsletter, send an e-mail to:

madness-central-new...@googlegroups.com