Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 18

Kevin Tizzard

Feb 5, 2010, 11:17:28 AM2/5/10
to Madness Central Newsletter
Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 18
30th January - 5th February 2010

Welcome to the 18th edition of the Madness Central Weekly Newsletter.

If you've missed any previous issues you can catch up by viewing the groups archive at:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/madness-central-newsletter?hl=en

Newsletter Contents

1. Latest News And Information

2. Madness to Perform in Russia and Switzerland
3. Win Tickets to the Our House the Musical Amateur Premiere
4. www.retro-madness.co.uk - This week's Special Offer
5. Madness, The Musical. Auditions this weekend.
6. Madness Central Updates: Nutty Caption.
7. Clive Langer and the Boxes Album Reissue
8. Contacting Madness Central
9. Newsletter Subscription Details.

1. Latest News And Information

The following news items are taken from the Madness Central Blog at:
http://www.madness-central.com/blog
You can also subscribe to the blogs feed, either via email or RSS at:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/madnesscentralblog

Our House The Musical Gets Amateur Premiere In Ilford

Following other recent blogs highlighting forthcoming productions of Our House The Musical around the country, news reached us today of the first amateur production of the show which will be performed at the Kenneth More Theatre...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=16

Suggs’ Italian Invasion of Canada Comes to a Close

For the past month TVO public television out of Toronto, Canada, has been airing the eight part series “Suggs’ Italian Job.” This Friday, 5th February, the final two episodes will air...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=12

Madness in Cork, Ireland, This Summer

With the Madness Central Blog undergoing a much needed renovation and upgrade (which is still ongoing), we weren’t able to bring you this news as quickly as we normally would have. Better a couple days late than never...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=8

Mike Barson Talks KORG Keyboards

A YouTube clip of Mike Barson talking about and playing KORG keyboards before the Birmingham gig on the Xmas Tour has been bought to our attention today. In what is essentially an endorsement for KORG keyboards...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=5

2. Madness to Perform in Russia and Switzerland

The Official Madness Website has announced  two new gigs for 2010. Following on from their successful Russian gig in 2009, Madness have now been confirmed to play the B1 Maximum Hall in Moscow on 28th April this year. Tickets available here (Russian language site):
http://www.concert.ru/

Further, on 12 June Madness will be taking a trip to the Alps to play the Caribana Festival in Crans-près-Céligny, Switzerland. Tickets here:
http://www.caribana-festival.ch/

It's panning out to be a busy period for the band with numerous gigs across the European continent confirmed - the current list as follows:

28th April 2010 - B1 Maximum Hall, Moscow, Russia
Tickets here:
http://www.concert.ru/

1st May 2010 - Estrella Levante SOS 4.8, Murcia, Spain
Tickets here:
http://www.ticketmaster.es/

8th May 2010 - Milan Palasharp
Tickets here:
http://www.barleyarts.com/Site/index.html

11th May 2010 - Berlin (Huxley's Neue Welt)
Tickets here:
http://www.lb-events.de/

12th May 2010 - Dortmund Westfalenhalle
Tickets here:
http://www.lb-events.de/

 14th May 2010 - Zenith De Paris
Tickets here:
http://www.zenith-paris.com/index2.php?s=1&k=Madness&x=15&y=21

15th May 2010 - Amsterdam, Heineken Music Hall
Tickets here:
http://www.heineken-music-hall.nl/agenda/792/madness

12th June 2010 - Caribana Festival, Switzerland
Tickets here:
http://www.caribana-festival.ch/

9th July 2010 - The Marquee, Cork
Tickets here:
http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004442C3EB3B07?artistid=941984&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

30th July - 1st August 2010 - Camp Bestival, Dorset
Tickets here:
http://www.ticketline.co.uk/camp-bestival-tickets

3. Win Tickets to the Our House the Musical Amateur Premiere

Our House - winner of the 2003 Olivier Award for Best New Musical - will receive its UK amateur premiere at the Kenneth More Theatre, Ilford next week. Following an incredibly successful tour and run in London's West End, this critically- acclaimed production will be produced by award-winning, Essex-based Stage One Theatre Company.

Our House follows the trend of Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You, in setting a show to the famous hits of one band - in this case, Madness. A pacy, hilarious and touching romantic musical journey through one young man's London life, the story revolves around Joe Casey, his girlfriend Sarah and the night he commits a petty crime to impress her. At this point the story splits in two and explores both what would happen to him if he gave himself up to confront the judgement of the law or escape the police.

Billed as "a great new British musical", no other show raises spirits higher or restores a sense of joy in London life more than Tim (Calendar Girls) Firth's treatment of Madness's mighty back catalogue. It is a modern love story set on the streets of Camden Town and includes songs Baggy Trousers, It Must Be Love, Driving In My Car, House of Fun, Wings Of A Dove and Night Boat To Cairo, Our House will be performed at the Kenneth More Theatre, Oakfield Road, Ilford from Thursday, February 11 - Saturday February 13.

Tickets are on sale now from the theatre box office on 020 8553 4466. For more information, visit the group's website:
http://www.sotheatre.com.

4. www.retro-madness.co.uk - This week's Special Offer

Retro-Madness have managed to obtain a limited supply of the paperback edition of the ‘Suggs and the City Book’ – 5 months before it’s due to be published! The hardback version is now out-of-print and no longer available at any store of Waterstones across the UK. The paperback edition is due to hit the shelves in mid-June.

The paperback edition is to be priced at £14.99 and Retro-Madness will be making it available for the next two weeks until Sunday 21st Feb at £14.99 including UK postage, whilst stocks last. Click the link below and scroll about ¼ way down the page:

http://retro-madness.co.uk/

Last weeks offer for the promo singles from TLONF at £7.50 each will be running for one more week. Check them out just underneath the Suggs book at the link above.

Retro-Madness – Making the impossible, possible!
Chris & Emma

5. Madness, The Musical. Auditions this weekend.

Preparations for Angus Musical Youth Theatre's production of 'Our House (The Madness Musical)' get under way in the Webster Memorial Theatre, Arbroath, this weekend with the first information and audition evening. The winner of the 2003 Olivier Award for Best New Musical, 'Our House' is an epic, passionate and fast moving romantic comedy following the life of 16-year-old Londoner, Joe Casey.

The 'Sliding Doors' type musical is in fact two musicals in one, each following a different path of Joe's life after he commits a crime on the night of his 16th birthday: one where he stays to face the music with the police and the other when he makes a run for it, but only towards a very different set of consequences!

Featuring the music of Madness with hits including 'Baggy Trousers', 'It Must Be Love', 'Driving in My Car', 'Simple Equation' and 'House of Fun', the energetic show is certain to be a hit with both company and audiences.

Any young person currently within secondary school up to the age of 25 who enjoys singing, dancing and acting is welcome to attend Sunday's information evening at 7 p.m. in the Assembly Room at the theatre. Auditions are scheduled to take place at 7.30 pm on the evenings of 16, 18 and 21 February within St Mary's Church hall, Arbroath.

'Our House' is scheduled to run at the Webster Memorial Theatre from October 19 to 23.

Angus Musical Youth Theatre is also looking for a choreographer for this year's show. Interested parties should apply by letter to enqu...@amyt.org.uk

6. Madness Central Updates: Nutty Caption.

Have you ever seen a picture of Madness and, with puzzled amazement, said to yourself, "Just what the blue blazes were they thinking?" Why not put some words in the mouths of Madness and answer that question for yourself?

The chosen 'victim' this time is Suggs.

Enter you caption(s) at:
http://www.madness-central.com/interactive/caption/caption.php

7. Clive Langer and the Boxes Album Reissue

Source: http://www.cherryred.co.uk/lemon/artists/clivelangertheboxes.php#cdlem157

Madness producer Clive Langer's post-Deaf School project, The Boxes, is set for a 15th February reissue. From the Cherry Read website:

Splash and Beyond (Cat: cdlem157)

Released on 15/02/10. Clive Langer full-member of the Deaf School since 1974, also collaborated with the early Big In Japan in 1978. In 1979, after both acts disbanded he started working with some friends as Clive Langer and the Boxes. The first-line up of the boxes included, besides Langer himself (vocals and guitars), Deaf School friends Bette Bright (Madness singer Suggs' wife) and Steve Allen (backing vocals), Budgie (drums, former Spitfire Boys, Big In Japan) and Ben Barson (keyboards, brother of and main
influence for Mike Barson, keyboard player with Madness).

The Whole World / Lovely Evening / I Know I / Those Days / Simple Life / Hello / Never Wanted You / Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya / Hope And Glory / Best Dressed Man / Half As Nice / Splash (A Tear Goes Rolling Down) / It's All Over Now / Burning Money / Take You Down / First Thing In The Morning / Had A Nice Night

8. Contacting Madness Central

You can send all communications relating to Madness Central to the e-mail address:
ad...@madness-central.com

9. Newsletter Subscription Details.

Subscribing to the Newsletter:

If you are reading this newsletter via Google, Facebook and/or RSS feed, you can have this newsletter delivered weekly directly to your e-mail inbox.

To subscribe, visit the Madness Central website at:
http://www.madness-central.com
and use the relevant subscription box displayed on the homepage.

Alternatively, you can send a blank e-mail to:
madness-central-ne...@googlegroups.com

Note: You will need to reply to a confirmation e-mail prior to your subscription being processed. With some ISP’s this email may be filtered directly into your spam/junk folder.

How to Unsubscribe:

If you no longer wish to receive the Madness Central Newsletter, send an e-mail to:
madness-central-new...@googlegroups.com