已查看 8 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Kevin Tizzard

未读,
2010年4月11日 06:12:052010/4/11
收件人 Madness Central Newsletter
Madness Central Newsletter: Issue 25
3rd April-11th April 2010

Welcome to the 25th edition of the Madness Central Weekly Newsletter.

If you've missed any previous issues you can catch up by viewing the groups archive at:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/madness-central-newsletter?hl=en

Madness Central: Quote Us On That ...

Madness Central Forum
A free, fun and informative way to communicate on-line with other Madness fans around the globe.
Register for the discussion boards here:
http://www.madness-central.com/forum

The Madness Central Blog
First for all the breaking news. Subscribe to the blog, via RSS feed or e-mail delivery, and get the latest news as and when it happens. View the Madness Central Blog at:
http://www.madness-central.com/blog

Newsletter Contents

1. Latest News And Information
2. www.retro-madness.co.uk - This week's special offer
3 More on Suggs, Lee & Deaf School’s Shark Trek from Clive Langer
4. Union Square Music Absolutely/Seven Reissue MadChart Contest
5.. Madness : A little quieter, a little wiser - Derwesten.de
6. Hampshire Madness Tribute Band looking for a Suggs
7. Author John Reed speaks on his forthcoming book 'House of Fun - The Story of Madness'
8. Madness feature in Doc Marten's 50th Birthday Article
9. Interview with Woody in May edition of Runner's World magazine
10. Audio Bullys “Higher Than Eiffel” feat. Suggs and Barzo – Contest Closing Monday 12th April.
11. Interview with Mike Barson - Zvuki.ru
12. It's Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza Madness - Thisissomerset.co.uk
13. Contacting Madness Central
14. Madness Central Newsletter Subscription Details

1. Latest News And Information

The following news items are taken from the Madness Central Blog at:
http://www.madness-central.com/blog
You can also subscribe to the blogs feed, either via email or RSS at:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/madnesscentralblog

Re-launching of the Madness Central MadQuiz with Author John Reed

The long-fallow Madness Central MadQuiz is back off the ground, thanks to author of the much-anticipated book “The Nutty Sound”, Mr. John Reed...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=111

Note: The above blog has also been reproduced in its entirety in Section 3 of this newsletter.

Suggs & Lee Rehearse for Deaf School’s Shark Trek

Madness producer Clive Langer’s band Deaf School is holding a charity event in honour of late Deaf School vocalist Eric Shark (ne Thomas Sam Davis) who passed away in January. Rehearsals have begun for what is dubbed “Shark Trek”, with Suggs and Lee from Madness showing up this week in preparation of the April 17 tribute...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=108

More on Suggs, Lee & Deaf School’s Shark Trek from Clive Langer

After following up with Deaf School guitarist (and Madness producer) Clive Langer, he had some more information to share with Madness Central concerning the Deaf School singer Eric Shark tribute later this month...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=117

Note: The above blog has also been reproduced in its entirety in Section 3 of this newsletter.

Our House The Musical – Hazlitt Theatre, Maidstone – 26th-29th May 2010

We’ve been alerted to another production of “Our House The Musical” currently in rehearsals for a four night run at the end of May at the Hazlitt Theatre, Maidstone...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=123

Woody Runs In The London Marathon – 25th April 2010

Following on from previous blogs on this subject and with less than three weeks left to go we thought it time for a reminder that Madness’ drummer Woody is to run in this years London Marathon on 25th April 2010 with the aim of beating both the total he raised for charity in 2009 and also the amazing time of 3 hours 42 minutes he attained last year...

Read the complete blog at:
http://madness-central.com/blog/?p=125

2. www.retro-madness.co.uk - This week's special offer

This week we have reduced the price of the Forever Young UK promo CDs from £9.99 to just £4.99 each including UK postage. The CD includes an A4 press release sheet. This bargain price is even less than we paid for them!

Click the link below and scroll ¼ of the way down the page to view them. The price will be held until 25th April or until they are sold.

http://retro-madness.co.uk/

A reminder that last week's offer for the Our House T Shirts, all brand new and priced between £3.50 and £5.99 including UK postage will continue until the end of April. Click the link above and they can be viewed at the bottom of the page.

Happy browsing!

Chris & Emma

3. More on Suggs, Lee & Deaf School’s Shark Trek from Clive Langer

After following up with Deaf School guitarist (and Madness producer) Clive Langer, he had some more information to share with Madness Central concerning the Deaf School singer Eric Shark tribute later this month.

“As you probably know we’re doing a celebratory tribute gig for Eric Shark who died in January. Everyone we asked to join us on stage and sing some of Eric’s songs has agreed. So, we have nicked Madness’s chanteur + saxophonist (without his horn), Kevin Rowland, Ian Broudie + Pete Wiley.

“So we’re rehearsing with band and guests at the moment. Suggs is singing ‘What a Jerk’, Lee (Thompson) will be doing ‘Knock Knock Knocking’, Kevin ‘Rock Ferry’, and Ian ‘What a Week’. All from the Deaf School song book, having been penned by Eric.

“We’re almost sold out but any Maddy people could get on the Everyman (Liverpool) website and try and get a ticket. I think we will record it, so let’s keep in touch on that.

“Be great if you let people know.

“Thanks again for your support for me and Alan.
All best Clive”

The Everyman Playhouse website has tickets listed at £18 and £28 for the April 17 festivities.
http://www.everymanplayhouse.com/show/Deaf_school_shark_trek/78.aspx

The official Deaf School website, forum and newsletter can be found at:
http://www.deafschoolmusic.com

4. Union Square Music Absolutely/Seven Reissue MadChart Contest

For our second Madness Central contest of 2010, we're offering three lucky winners a chance at three special prizes courtesy of Union Square Music. With the 12th April release of the Absolutely 2 CD reissue and Seven 2 CD reissue, we're tying this contest in with another fan-favourite event on Madness Central, the annual MadChart.

To enter the contest, simply choose your top ten favourite Madness songs, send them in with your name and email address, and your name will be put in the virtual hat for the drawing on Monday 26th April (the contest runs for two weeks).

What are the prizes? Here you go:

First Prize - One copy of the Seven 2 CD reissue, one copy of the Absolutely "regular cover" 2 CD reissue, and one copy of the Absolutely "withdrawn cover" 2 CD reissue.

Second Prize - One copy of the Seven 2 CD reissue and one copy of the Absolutely "regular cover" 2 CD reissue

Third Prize - One copy of the Seven 2 CD reissue

You can find further details and the entry form at the Madness Central MadChart page:
http://www.madness-central.com/interactive/madchart/madchart.html

5. Madness : A little quieter, a little wiser - Derwesten.de

http://www.derwesten.de/kultur/freizeit/Madness-Etwas-leiser-etwas-weiser-id2785366.html
Translation by Google Translate.

Madness: A little quieter, a little wiser
25/03/2010, Frank Grieger

They were the inventors of the "Nutty Sound" (from = nutty crunchy or stupid): In the 80s Madness made its weird mix of pop, punk and ska with a powerful sensation. Before the concert in Dortmund (12.5.) We spoke with singer Graham "Suggs" McPherson.

Hello Mr. McPherson, or I should say Suggs?

McPherson (sternly): Mr. McPherson, I ask if allowed.

Of course, no problem ..

McPherson (laughing): No, was just a joke. Call me Suggs.

Gladly, Suggs. How did you actually come up with the name?

Suggs: Oh, that's a long story. I wanted to get rid of the name McPherson, many years ago that has me so outed as a member of an ethnic minority - as a Scot. And just landed at Peter Suggs, a clarinetist.

Let your current album, "The Liberty Of Norton Folgate" talk about. If I work with early Madness à la "One Step Beyond" from 1979 compare, band seems to be quite different to be at work - it all sounds much more calm and relaxed. How much "Madness" because today there lies yet?

Suggs: Um ..as people we have not changed so much since then. But of course you have a different energy when you're 18th. Since it was really wild to the point. 30 years after the technology has changed, really has changed everything. But we still have the same attitude to music - and really enjoy it.

But "One Step Beyond" They still have the program, right?

Suggs: Of course, because you will always connect with Madness. „Hey you, don't watch that, watch this! But today we play it as the opener of our concerts, as a signature tune, "Hey you, do not watch that, watch this! This is the heavy heavy monster sound. This is the heavy heavy monster sound. The nuttiest sound around…” The Nutty sound around ... "

One of my colleagues has "Norton Folgate" found a nice headline to: The Wisdom of Vitality, The Wisdom Of Vitality. Agreed?

Suggs (laughs loudly): Great! Do remember that I have to! Great title for a song! But it really hits a tee.

The album has received good reviews surprisingly, also in Germany. Some even argue it was for you, what Sergeant Pepper was the Beatles.

Suggs: Well, for musicians in England is "Sergeant Pepper" something like the Holy Grail. Of course such a statement flatters each band. Norton Folgate "is an album that is always sold in England still good. Actually, we just wanted to make a good pop album, something like an essence of 30 years Madness. And the title has a classical overtones. He alludes to an area in London, which was allowed to manage itself in the Middle Ages.

It's very British, right? I say once: only the wacky comedy of the Monty Python troupe are still more British than Madness.

Suggs (laughing): Yeah, the one from the perspective of the rest of Europe sees if it can, even the vote. Of course, we are British and we have defined a special kind of humor. ou know, I'm sure anything but a nationalist, we are no better than anyone else in the world. Nevertheless, I think it is good if music has a national context. Just think of Cuba, Ibrahim Ferrer and the Buena Vista Social Club ". So it's okay if you hear that Madness are from London.

What about today with your concerts? They play new stuff, but even the old hits like "Our House", "My Girl", "House Of Fun"?

Suggs: Sure, a mix of three decades.

Something else entirely. Did you know that Gwen Stefani total times as a young girl you had a crush in supposedly? It should be broken out in tears when she in the video of "One Better Day" has seen your wife ...

Suggs: Yes, I've heard. Well, now it's too late (laughs). I am married 30 years and have two children, 27 and 24. By the way: I am very loyal to ...

Perhaps the story of Gwen Stefani, too useless knowledge. I've heard that you are the "Useless Information Society" are a member (Society for useless knowledge). What you have to think of them?

Suggs: I'll give you an example: What is a man worth? I'm just times the items through. The skin I think $ 30 would bring the blood of $ 200, the bones of 60 or so ...Together, the $ 460. Is an interesting topic of conversation. But totally useless, because one would have to kill before even before you sell it.

I see.

Suggs: In our meetings we have a referee to intervene immediately when someone says what useful.

I do not know if now would be a halt to me: On 12 May you play in Dortmund. Connect anything with this city?

Suggs (coughs): We have to be there ever been but I can not really remember me ... Have a cathedral?

Uh ... not really.But a very good football team. In 1997 they won the Champions League.

Suggs: Oh, sure, right. Borassia or something, right?

Almost good. Are you interested in football?

Suggs: Sure, I'm big Chelsea fan. I've skipped some rehearsals.

And the World Cup? England?

Suggs: Oh, I reckon not much. Somehow, the expectations are too high. Furthermore, you damned Germans are here (laughs).

I'll give you a good tip: Begin to train ever to penalty.

Suggs (laughing even louder): Sure, we do! But will still not help much ...

Madness live: 12th May in the Westphalia Hall Dortmund.
(40 €) to our TICKET SHOP, , http://www.DerWesten.de / tickets

6. Hampshire Madness Tribute Band looking for a Suggs

Word in from a new Madness tribute band:

We have recently formed a new Madness tribute band in Hampshire, featuring some previous members of 'The More Specials' and are looking for a Suggs to complete our line up. Anyone interested can contact Nick on 07767852976 or Ben on 07787401492 or e-mail: benjig...@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks,

Ben Giles

7. Author John Reed speaks on his forthcoming book 'House of Fun - The Story of Madness'

House Of Fun - The Story Of Madness
By John Reed

Writing books is a funny business. I've only done it once before - that was back in the mid-90s and the subject was Paul Weller. Now I'm knee-deep in this biography of Madness some of you might have read about. Up until now, it's had the working title of The Nutty Sound but that's now changed to House Of Fun and it’s on course to be published this autumn as a devilishly heavy hardback via Omnibus Press. Anyway, Steve asked me if I'd like to write a regular column. So here we go...

As I say, writing books is a funny business. Fifteen years ago, we had little or no Internet. Now, there's almost too much information out there, especially if you know where to look. Madness fans have been spoilt over the years with the regular M.I.S. bulletins and, more recently, Madness Central. So what to include? Who to speak to? It's funny: Madness have never had a really detailed biography before.

So what can you expect? Well, it'll probably be between 125,000 and 150,000 words. Not sure what that will be in pages. I've already written well over 100,000 and the narrative is fast approaching the first Madstock (biographies tend to be chronological and this, for the most part, is no exception). Other than hopefully offering a readable story, there are lots of first-hand interviews. Without listing everyone, two names are particularly poignant: the band's ex-manager, Matthew Sztumpf, and ex-Kilburn & The High Roads manager Charlie Gillett, who both sadly passed away recently.

In terms of importance, I think Rob Dickins has been vital - he funded Madness' first demo, then signed them to Warner Publishing and later worked with Suggs throughout his solo period in the 90s. EMI-Virgin's Steve Pritchard was also forthcoming: he masterminded Divine Madness in 1992, which led in turn to the reunion at Madstock, as well as helping with Wonderful. Dave Robinson needs no introduction: his vital role in Madness' development is dealt with in detail, with some wonderful anecdotes about the day he signed the band. I've also dwelt on their videos, for obvious reasons, chatting not only with Dave but also John Mills, Chris Gabrin and Nigel Dick.

Other names I've spoken to, some familiar or some less so, include Dennis Bovell (who helped produce The Dangermen Sessions), Tony Harlow (V2 boss), Peter Rudge (manager), Kellogs (manager), Barry Sinclair (road manager), Jamie Spencer (press officer), Nick Parker (string player), Paul Conroy (Stiff and Virgin), David Bedford (string arranger), Jeremy Lascelles (Virgin), Ian Wright (sleeve designer), Dave Gibbons (sleeve designer), Jules Balme (sleeve designer), Cameron McVey (photographer), Terry Edwards, Boz Boorer and Robert Elms.

It's a funny business... while you're writing a book, it's like that "Second Life" thing. You live your own life but part of you is always consumed with someone else's! I'm hoping to wrap it up by the end of April (maybe a bit later) in terms of first draft but still hoping for several more interviews before the deadline. I’ll talk about particular aspects of the book, and Madness’ career, in more detail in future columns…

John Reed

8. Madness feature in Doc Marten's 50th Birthday Article

A picture of Madness features in an article and slideshow about the 50th birthday of Doc Marten's shoes here, on Les Echo's (a French business newspaper) website :

http://www.lesechos.fr/diaporamas/index.php?id_diap=DIAP310310643_D52EA2&id_rub=0&id_sous_rub=0&auto=0&id_photo=18128

Madness holds good comapny, as also included are pictures of The Cure, Blur and The Clash.

9. Interview with Woody in May edition of Runner's World magazine

Daniel 'Woody' Woodgate. The Madness drummer, 49, on why running takes him One Step Beyond.

Woody has been performing with Madness since the 1970s. He ran his first marathon in London last year and is a member of the Belgrave Harriers.

"At school I was a natural. Living in Camden, I used to run up Parliament Hill and over Hampstead Heath. No one at school could beat me. Then I discovered drinking, smoking and girls - so I left running alone for 30 years. It was my wife's fault that I got back into running. Siobhan was planning to enter the London Marathon and I would walk the dogs behind her while she trained. But they wouldn't stop chasing her, so I decided to run too"

"I'd only been running since 2008, but I still entered the London Marathon in 2009. I had no expectation but I ran in 3:42:08 after getting a celebrity place. As soon as I crossed the line, I wanted to do it again"

"My years of drumming have given me good upper-body development. But sitting on a stool playing for hours on end has put a lot of strain on my lower back. It also meant I developed really bad pains in my knees. So running and drumming isn't really a good combination for me! I now have a personal running trainer, who is a godsend. he looked at my knee problem and helped me to overcome it by strengthening my core muscles"

"I approach drumming and running in the same way. I try to do a solid, professional job with each - and do my best. The band are really supportive. They all sponsored me when I first ran for Cancer Research UK. Our guitarist, Chrissy Boy, has taken up running too. I'm a wiry bloke and running has made me even leaner. People seem worried about my weight and say I look thinner, but I've never stopped eating since I've been training!"

"The highs I get from running are similar to when we do a great gig. After an ecstatic show with a fantastic audience I soon come off that high and get back to normal life. It's like that with running, too. I believe running a marathon is a great achievement. And other people agree it's incredible to have done one. I want to do another marathon when I'm 50. I will, hopefully, benefit in other races from being "young" in my new age category"

"I'm now really fit and healthy - and that makes me a better drummer. My stamina is now absolutely phenomenal and a two hour set is nothing to me. Meanwhile, the rest of the lads onstage are puffing and sweating away!"

My Favourite:

Destination: We were on tour in Australia during my training for last year's London Marathon. So I enjoyed running around Melbourne.

Treat: I devour my goody bag at the finishing line; chocolate and bananas first. I'm ravenous.

Advice: My personal trainer, Dave Lucas, told me, "don't set off fast; just let everyone else do their own thing." He said to hold back until two or three miles in; by then you'll be into a good rhythm.

10. Audio Bullys “Higher Than Eiffel” feat. Suggs and Barzo – Contest Closing Monday 12th April.

The new Audio Bullys album “Higher Than Eiffel” was released this past Monday (29th March), and it’s well worth the 10 quid if you’re a fan of their ska-and-punk-driven house beats. Their third album out and they’ve found a groove diverse and unique for sure.

Of course, as Madness fans, it doesn’t hurt that Suggs and Barzo feature on the album, on the two songs “Twist Me Up” and “Goodbye”. This makes the 10 quid all the better spent.

Our contest that's been running for two weeks now is coming to a close on Monday 12th April. For three lucky winners, each receive a copy of “Higher Than Eiffel”. You can enter the contest here:

http://www.madness-central.com/interactive/feature/feature.html

The contest runs until 5 pm GMT. So be sure to get your entry in if you want a chance at a free CD, courtesy of Cooking Vinyl Records and Audio Bullys Management.

You can hear the full album in stream at the Audio Bullys official MySpace page.

http://www.myspace.com/audiobullys

11. Interview with Mike Barson - Zvuki.ru

http://www.zvuki.ru/R/P/22438/
Translation by Google Translate

MADNESS : It's all right with the head

Madness . Legends of ska, fabulist, dandy, hooligans, loving fathers and husbands, gifted musicians and no less gifted showmen - all this on an asset to the British crown - Madness. Group, as the musical standard of English style and sense of humor, returns to Moscow after a brilliant performance at last year's "Picnic Posters. Then all doubts about the abilities of seven 50-year-old gentleman disperse the blood and excite minds just like before disappeared from the first minutes of their performance. And after it became clear that Madness today - not the nostalgic and historic relic, a monument to the era, and the union's fighting-wise, but still vigorous British zinger, which are not only perfectly performed hits of previous years, but also invent exciting new things. In anticipation of Madness concert in club "B1",

Zvuki.RU interviewed keyboardist and main songwriter Mike Barson (Mike Barson), discussed the continuation of "Dangermen Sessions", Buddhism, MGMT and the Russian invasion of London.

Oder darf ich Suggs sagen?RU : Mike, do you agree with those who believed that "The Liberty Of Norton Folgate" stand out among the other albums Madness - last but not least, as a conceptual record?

Mike Barson: I would not call it a concept album. We have not had a single thought from the beginning, we have not thought to advance. The whole disc is built around a title of a song, written by Suggs (Graham "Suggs" McPherson), that's all.

Zvuki.RU : Madness has always been very English band. How has London, and indeed the United Kingdom for these thirty years? Is it true that London is spoiled Russian?

Mike: Thirty years ago, city was noticeably poorer quality of life was much less than now. I was much younger then, and we were all much younger (laughs), so our views on the history of England may be very different from what we thought then. London has become much more cosmopolitan city ever since. Now someone is only here can not be found. Yes, in the northern part of the city, I constantly hear the Russian and Polish. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, many rushed here, but England has always been a multinational power, so I do not see anything unusual - especially as immigrants from Europe are generally very civilized and well mannered people.

Zvuki.RU : How to you as a songwriter, influenced treatment in Buddhism? Do you like traditional oriental music: Tibetan throat singing and traditional Chinese music?

Mike: I'm interested in Buddhism in 1984 and since then my interest in this religion is not quenched. I think that in my musical activities Buddhism also helped me a lot - in fact the relation of reality and illusion is especially evident in popular music, which almost all is such an illusion, deception, a mirage. People love to be deceived, falling in love with continuous thing - Buddhism helps to stand firmly on the ground and not be on empty and silly crafts. As for the music - I'm not very much imbued with the cultural side of the East, I am more inclined to accept his philosophical teachings, its age-old wisdom.

Zvuki.RU : You generally make friends with the Internet? Your myspace-page seems a long time neglected, and special informative site michaelbarson.com no different ...

Mike: I tried to create the page, start doing something, but then I quickly became bored. You know, getting all seems incredibly interesting and fascinating, but soon realizes that even the support of the profile on myspace, not to mention the full site - is hard work, which is extremely difficult to carry alone. So I threw this case, besides, I now have many other concerns.

Zvuki.RU : Can we expect a continuation of "Dangermen Sessions"?

Mike: Yes, I think that the continuation will follow. In the composition of Madness there are those who strongly wants. I am also inclined to think that "Dangermen Sessions Vol. 2" would be written right now, but this idea is not shared by all and we must look for compromises. Also, on the first part did not work the whole group, but only part. Generally, these were difficult times for Madness, we had serious problems with the management team, and within the group itself, there were substantial differences, which were supported by those who, in theory, should have their stew! So, hopefully, we write the next part of "Dangermen Sessions" and it will be better than the last - since then we have learned from his mistakes.

Zvuki.RU : What are the participants Madness as a people?

Mike: At the Woody (Daniel Woodgate), you can always rely on, he is conservative in their views and affections, Lee (Lee Thompson), a little out of myself, Suggs - a real gentleman, Carl Smith - crazy, no more need to search, Chris Foreman very cautious man, Mark Bedford, a big heart, and Mike Barson true genius!

Zvuki.RU: Just announced a reunion and your colleagues on 2Tone Records - The Specials. Whether they have done, gathered without a key member - Jerry (Jerry Dammers)?

Mike: I have not delved into the details of their reunion, so I know nothing about the difficulties that have arisen in the community and why they decided not to call Jerry, but I find it wrong. I went to a concert in London, The Specials and it was a wonderful idea, but still felt a lack Jerry - he is very much brings to the music of The Specials. I think that all would be better if they had buried their differences and were able to start again performed and recorded together. Because perform old things they are capable of, but do not know what will they cause when the issue will go on writing new songs - in fact it was a matter Jerry.

Zvuki.RU : What were you doing at the time, yet played in Madness? Tried to write specifically for other groups?

Mike: For the other not, but at that time I composed many new songs. In the second half of the 80's synthesizers and early computers already allowed to write and perform songs alone, without an accompanying support of the whole composition, so I enjoyed the work independently. Although I never met to write this stuff in the studio, I think I'm too lazy for that. Even some time I worked with Suggs, although he's also a participant of Madness, right?

Zvuki.RU :What a tool appears in the earlier clips - he has black keys with white change the color. Do you use it now?

Mike: Oh, it electrobody Vox Continental, a native of the '70s. I never understood why they changed the color of the keys, but it looks really cool. True, it's pretty tricky, so now we get along without him.

Zvuki.RU : How important to you now, ska music and its attendant image?

Mike: You mean those black and white things and a cage? For us, it has never been so important as to colleagues 2Tone, - the same The Specials, for example. I have always loved ska, is a great movement, great musicians, our scene and all that, but for me it is - just one of the areas that I love. I love reggae, such as John Holt (John Holt) period of the seventies. I like the reggae that group of those years sound like a whole - the musicians were able to catch a common groove and merge it into a single sound. Also I like the product label, Motown, for the same reasons. It's not some pretentious crap, this is music for ordinary people, just very well done. For people in Jamaica, the music was all - they did not have much money, there were no other opportunities, so they are fully invested in the music. I think that the story of Motown is similar to this. I think that's why they have remained in history.

Zvuki.RU : Is there a young group, with which you would like to posotrudnichat? Which of the young in general, you stand out?

Mike: It's hard to say ... Well, I really do not know how they can be considered young - I love MGMT. I have advised their son and I once climbed to their concert in a small and very intimate club. I was very surprised at their performance. They are incredibly good. They are great to play, they have great songs - I really liked, yes.

Zvuki.RU : Does not it seem strange that this time you will not play on the open-Air area, but in a kind of industrial workshop of the former factory? For Madness generally important question where do you play?

Mike: We do not live in Moscow, so we can not inspect those sites that offer us a speech, so we rely on someone else's choice. However, I think that is a good place and it suits us perfectly. Is not it?

Zvuki.RU What song always lifts your mood, whatever was happening around him?

Mike: Hmm, let me think. Someone else's song? I am sure that this is, just wait a little bit ... "Enjoy Yourself" from the Specials? Yes, it is great podbodrivaet me in difficult times (sings). "Don't Worry Be Happy" What else? "Don't Worry Be Happy" also helps me believe in myself. This is the most important thing that can make music.

Madness
Moscow, club "B1 Maximum"
April 28 21:00

12. It's Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza Madness - Thisissomerset.co.uk

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/news/s-Glastonbury-Abbey-Extravaganza-Madness/article-1959901-detail/article.html

Legendary ska rockers Madness will be performing at this year's Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza, the Western Daily Press can reveal.

The pioneering British band – with frontman Suggs – are expected to be as popular as last year's sell-out Status Quo concert. 2010 will also see the return of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in the ancient parkland Abbey grounds.

Originally from Camden Town, Madness was formed in 1976 and was one of the most prominent bands of the late-1970s 2 tone/ska revival. Madness recorded more than 20 consecutive top 20 hits in the UK charts with numbers such as Our House, Baggy Trousers and Return of the Los Palmas 7.

The concert is organised by Glastonbury Festival founder Michael Eavis, who lives at nearby Worthy Farm in Pilton which hosts the world-famous festival in June.

He said: "It is our 15th year – we don't take a year off for this one. It is good to put something into the town; we have used the name forever and the farm was once part of the Abbey – at one time it was a deer park. There are lots of associations. It is so relaxing – I see people I have known for 60 years who come there to enjoy themselves. And in the town itself people are more interested in the Extravaganza than the Festival."

Drummer Woody Woodgate told the Daily Press why the band love playing outdoors and how they'll guarantee a good time for everyone in the audience.

"However bad the weather is, however much it is raining," he said. "When we come on stage, it stops. I'm serious. It never rains when we're on."

Fresh from celebrating their 30th anniversary (ignoring a short break mid-career), the group of fun-loving folk have no plans to give up any time soon.

Woody said: "We're all about having fun. Obviously, we've got to be able to play our instruments properly but we've never really taken it too seriously. It's just a good laugh. We've got 30 years of material so we give everyone the big hits – It Must Be Love, One Step Beyond, Madness – as many as we can do."

"If people dance then we dance. As a result, I've liked every gig we've done, from small gigs to larger ones in arenas. We've done Forestry Commission concerts, which were very beautiful and I imagine the Extravaganza will be just as breathtaking"

"We've played the big one a few times. I think it's really nice to have something like this to help thank the locals for putting up with all these people during the weekend of Glastonbury Festival."

This year's Extravaganza takes place on August 7 and 8 with 70s legend Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel opening the first night. Most famous for the iconic chart topper Make me Smile (Come up and see me) which is one of the most played records, Steve has played neighbouring Glastonbury Festival three times.

But this will be the first time he's been invited by Michael to play one of these Extravaganza nights in the grounds of Glastonbury Abbey.

"It looks very, very special," says Steve. As he points out, any groups playing at the festival don't get to see too much of the surrounding countryside. You just come in the bus, hang about, play and go home," he said.

On the Sunday, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra will be back with a performance of popular classics full of well-know pieces, and culminating with a chance to wave flags to Land of Hope and Glory.

Innovative violinist Nicola Benedetti returns for the second time six years after her stunning victory as BBC Young Musician of the Year plus guest soloists tenor Andrew Rees and soprano Jo Appleby. The production will also include screens by the stage, beautiful water fountains, lights and fireworks. The Sunday concert will open with string quartet Raven – the resident quartet for the BBC 2 series, Maestro. Raven have performed and recorded with artists such as Gorillaz, Jools Holland, Leona Lewis and Gwen Stefani.

To buy tickets or find out more about the event, either contact the Glastonbury Festival Office, in Northload Street, Glastonbury – , or check out www.glastonburyextravaganza.co.uk for online sales. Ticket prices are £30 for adults if booked in advance, £5 surcharge on the gate subject to availability. Child tickets for those aged six to 16 are £15. There is a special ticket offer; book 10 adult tickets and get the 11th free. Booking charges may apply.

13. Contacting Madness Central

You can send all communications relating to Madness Central to the e-mail address:
ad...@madness-central.com

14. Madness Central Newsletter Subscription Details.

Subscribing to the Newsletter:

If you are reading this newsletter via Google, Facebook and/or RSS feed, you can have this newsletter delivered weekly directly to your e-mail inbox.

To subscribe, visit the Madness Central website at:
http://www.madness-central.com
and use the relevant subscription box displayed on the homepage.

Alternatively, you can send a blank e-mail to:
madness-central-ne...@googlegroups.com

Note: You will need to reply to a confirmation e-mail prior to your subscription being processed. With some ISP’s this email may be filtered directly into your spam/junk folder.

How to Unsubscribe:

If you no longer wish to receive the Madness Central Newsletter, send an e-mail to:
madness-central-new...@googlegroups.com
回复全部
回复作者
转发