Using madmom for deaf people to perceive beats

Simon Merrett

Feb 27, 2020, 3:53:34 PM2/27/20
to madmom-users
Hi,

I volunteer for https://www.remap.org.uk/ and we are trying to make a system so a deaf lady can join in with music-based exercise classes through a haptic interface. I would like to use madmom as I have exhausted many other online or realtime beat detection algorithms running on the microcontrollers I am familiar with. I got everything working based on Ian Charnas' example code - Just want to publicly thank Ian for the example and everyone who made/makes madmom. So far I have it running on a Raspberry pi 4 with 4GB and when I run `top` python (2) is top of the list at 330% cpu! The pi is clearly thermally throttling the whole time madmom is running.

I couldn't get reliable results for the beat detection (running in raspian gui so understand there will be desktop etc competing for resources) so I dropped the frame rate to 60Hz and it seemed very nice. Would this cause an issue? Also, are there suggestions on how to reduce resource usage? For example, do different models have different resource demands? Any other advice for our application would be very gratefully received. I plan to use a GPIO to signal to a microcontroller coprocessor that will then send the beat signal over low latency radio link to a haptic device that the user will hold.

I hope that madmom could help many deaf people engage with group music events using haptics.

Thanks again,

Simon

si...@matterealise.co.uk

Feb 28, 2020, 1:26:43 PM2/28/20
to madmom-users
I am trying to install madmom on the raspberry pi using python3 and get this error:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pip3 install madmom
Collecting madmom
    17% |█████▌                          | 3.7MB 49kB/s eta 0:05:51
THESE PACKAGES DO NOT MATCH THE HASHES FROM THE REQUIREMENTS FILE. If you have updated the package versions, please update the hashes. Otherwise, examine the package contents carefully; someone may have tampered with them.
        Expected sha256 f067ce9b32d210e4360ab5a3b2bf3261fc188c29e399e7a591c8efed46ae1f30
             Got        e5b6efdcf387c37560d53ce794f4ac61b405d2cc7b00a13634df61dadd60ac51

Is this something that is a repository issue ? do I need to compile from source or have I missed something?

Thanks

si...@matterealise.co.uk

Feb 28, 2020, 4:50:31 PM2/28/20
to madmom-users
Ah, I tried again and it worked. Must have been a corrupted download.

Simon