Mini-nuclets/queens/build-on-demand colonies

Greg V

Mar 6, 2024, 8:26:46 PMMar 6
to madbees
This 2024 season I will again offer bees of my own local production.

Even though this is still early in season, I decided to post this now to let people know that we do have a variety of local bees available thru the season.

There is no particular need to rush and buy the imported bees early.
In long run it is in best interest of everyone to be supporting, promoting, and raising our own local bees.

Lloyd Street bees already posted their offerings - I encourage to check them out.
https://www.lloydstbees.com/
I source most of my own bees from Lloyd Street (Trevor) as well.
But unlike Trevor, I don't have ready-to-go nucs - rather, I build them as requested any time the entire season into September.

My queens will be in two formats:
- mini-nuclet (my preferred)
- conventional cage

In addition, I build colonies of any format on demand.
Typically, I'd take the person's own equipment and build a colony into it.
Last year I built top-bar colonies and Layens colonies and conventional Lang colonies.
The latest colony I built was in September - it wintered very well up to now as far as I know.

Mini-nuclets:
- three (or more) framelets of bees, brood and stores
- laying queen related to the bees
- a foam cooler that works as a temporary hive and/or a transport container
- basic price for the 3-framelet set - $65
- I should have one immediately available at most times OR may create one on demand
- these should be available any time May thru September

Benefits of the mini-nuclets format:
- the queen is not confined, not stressed, is normally living in a colony and laying
- the queen is easy to find when needed (I mark them too)
- one can keep the queen in the mini-colony for weeks until the convenient introduction time (eventual expansion maybe needed if kept too long)
- the queen introduction is flexible (in cage or combining with the host colony)
- there are eggs/young brood included with the queen as an immediate backup if needed
- the free-standing stack-able framelets can be deployed into most any equipment format or equipment size
- a mini-colony can be directly grown into a stand-alone colony of your own format (top bar, Layens, Lang, Dadant, Warre)
- a mini-colony can be grown into a bigger mini-colony for more queen making
- no particular deadlines exist - when properly done the late colonies are even preferred over the early packages/nucs (as I take care of the mites for the customers).

Attached is a sample Layens colony frame - built from a mini-nuclet

20230904_122525(1).jpg

Johnny Adams

Apr 2, 2024, 6:34:34 PMApr 2
to mad...@googlegroups.com
So how do I contact you to arrange for you to build 5 nucs from over wintered bees . I need 5 and I will bring my equipment for you to load. My contact is jradams@ msn.com
5818 Oxbow Bend, Madison, WI 53716
Johnny adams

Thomas Swale

Apr 12, 2024, 8:27:18 PMApr 12
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

I'm very interested in your mini nuc. Can I order 2 and do you need a deposit or a nuc container from me? I realize we're likely a month out from when they'd be ready.

Thank you,
Tom

Greg V

Jun 7, 2024, 1:39:18 PMJun 7
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I also have queens available now.
Mated, local survivor production.
I will continue making the queens thru September.
One should be available most any time.