Opinions on Flow Hive?

Hope Nye

Apr 18, 2021, 5:20:41 PM4/18/21
to madbees
New to beekeeping and looking into different structures for my first hive. The flow hive caught my attention because it's seems more streamlined than the langstroth. Does anyone have any specific thoughts (or warnings) on the flow hive?

William Palmer

Apr 18, 2021, 5:27:42 PM4/18/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Rather Pricey.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 4:20 PM Hope Nye <hop...@gmail.com> wrote:
New to beekeeping and looking into different structures for my first hive. The flow hive caught my attention because it's seems more streamlined than the langstroth. Does anyone have any specific thoughts (or warnings) on the flow hive?

jeanne hansen

Apr 18, 2021, 7:06:16 PM4/18/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
The thing about the flow hive is, only the honey super is different in any way.  You have to build up a strong and healthy cluster of bees in the brood chambers down below, just like in any hive.

Later in the fall, when you see that you need to give some frames of honey to the bees, so they have enough for winter, you wouldn't use those frames from the flow hive, because of the special way they are built.  So you have a feeding problem.

The heartache of inducing your bees to put the honey harvest in the flow part of the hive, pretty much uses up your satisfaction about the "streamlining."

Beekeeping is tricky enough as it is.  Introducing a hot-shot gadget doesn't make it simpler.  Just my opinion.

Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714

On Sunday, April 18, 2021, 04:20:44 PM CDT, Hope Nye <hop...@gmail.com> wrote:

New to beekeeping and looking into different structures for my first hive. The flow hive caught my attention because it's seems more streamlined than the langstroth. Does anyone have any specific thoughts (or warnings) on the flow hive?

Daniel Sullivan

Apr 18, 2021, 7:16:20 PM4/18/21
to madbees
I bought one (expensive) and the bees have never taken to it. Basically, after three years, have given up trying and using 'traditional' supers.

hrosej19

Apr 18, 2021, 7:50:49 PM4/18/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Simply put.
This was originally some type of 'kickstarter' idea that eventually got funded- and while having one as say,  a small observational deal for visitors, it's just not practical in this climate nor on a large scale.
It's more or less just best in show, not functionality.
I was surprised to hear they are still being produced.

Sent from my Galaxy

Matt Walter

Apr 18, 2021, 8:33:54 PM4/18/21
to madbees
Thanks for your replies about flow hive.  I'm new to beekeeping as well and a buddy was looking into one of those.

I'm interested in horizontal/layens/top bar hives.  Any opinions you all would like to share?

Thank you,

Matthew Walter

On Sunday, April 18, 2021, 04:20:44 PM CDT, Hope Nye <hop...@gmail.com> wrote:

New to beekeeping and looking into different structures for my first hive. The flow hive caught my attention because it's seems more streamlined than the langstroth. Does anyone have any specific thoughts (or warnings) on the flow hive?

Tim Aure

Apr 18, 2021, 9:03:56 PM4/18/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
There is a Russian guy who has a book or site called "Keeping bees with a smile"
It's a good site. Personally there are many aberrations and ways to keep bees, I personally try to stay the traditional route as far as equipment and wisdom from the larger bee info speakers and teachers. I don't think you'll see many who make a living at bee keeping doing it.
And his layens frames wouldn't fit in your traditional extractors. I've enjoyed following him though. There are so many variations and rabbit trails out there, personally I'd recommend steering in the middle but of course if that's your interest I'd recommend looking him up.

Sent from my iPhone

Greg V

Apr 18, 2021, 10:00:59 PM4/18/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I have been running modified Layens for 5 years (like the picture attached).
Modified enough to extract normally as is Langs.
What do you need to know?
:)

20171029_161725_Small.jpg

Paul Zelenski

Apr 18, 2021, 10:11:39 PM4/18/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com

To be fair, I’ve never had a flow hive, or even seen one in person. But, the design seems like the type of thing that would be attractive to non-beekeepers. If you actually think of the way bees are kept, it doesn’t actually do anything useful. In fact, it would be a real hinderance to proper beekeeping. And that ignores the fact that I can’t imagine how it would work for any length of time before getting clogged with wax and propolis.

Other alternative hives can work fine, but ask yourself why you want to use them. What purpose do they serve that isn’t served by a lang? Don’t just get a offbeat hive design to be different; it will be a hassle in the long run. It makes it harder to use standard equipment or tools and harder to swap or buy equipment/nucs from others.

I’ve had decent success with top bar hives. They can work in our climate despite what some people say, but there are a few techniques you need to use. That being said, they are a lot more work and hassle than a lang hive. If you want to watch bees doing bee things more naturally and want to spend a bunch of time ‘playing’ with your bees, they  can be fun. It is amazing to watch bees build a complete hive from nothing rather than foundation, but not worth the effort if you have multiple hives or are trying to have productive, efficient hives. You can also make your bars a size that can accept lang frames for easier conversion if needed.

Long langs are somewhat of a compromise between langs and TBHs. Somewhere between the two on work and productiveness. Any of the horizontal hives would be worth considering if you absolutely don’t want (or can’t) lift even medium boxes.

So, basically I would advise you ask around specifically about the type of hive you’re considering, and think about the reason you want to use something non-standard before jumping in

Apr 18, 2021, 10:35:25 PM4/18/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I use a “long Lang” horizontal hive using deep frames. I really like it. I can work bees with only 8” of the top open if I must - helps when they’re cranky. I’m building an insulated layens this year to try it out as well and compare the two. I like the horizontal Lang style because it uses frames that you can buy off the shelf if you wish. A lot of the products you’ll see will work well with this style of hive since frame size is similar. Also, the follower board’s gap along the bottom allows for easy package install and easy feeding - the empty hive body is perfect to put the bee package to let stragglers find the main hive and also for putting feed in when you need to feed the bees. If you were in a pinch to get two colony’s going, you could fill this space and have one colony on either side.

Some considerations: horizontalhive.com has free plans BUT you have to really put 2 and 5 together to get your desired design if more than a flat lid with burlap over the frames. I did a gabled lid and added removable planks across the top of the frames. Things I’ll do differently if I build a long Lang again:

1) not put legs on it and use either blocks and beams or t-posts and pipe as a platform instead. The legs make it more cumbersome.
2) really cut back on the lid weight - holy moly! Or, scrap #1 and build a triangular leg shape for each side to help with the weight balance when opening the hinged lid
3) consider using the circular bee entrances - the kind that have 3 different entrance types for the opening just by turning the metal circle.
4) leave out a center entrance, just one on either end.

Next hive will be a layens design with insulated walls. I have to modify the incoming frames at first to fit the layens design but I hope the hive will build out layens frames this year so that next year I can simply use a layens frame exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone

Mathew Anderson

Apr 18, 2021, 10:41:43 PM4/18/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Greg, is that a honey super above a layens main hive?

Sent from my iPhone

Greg V

Apr 18, 2021, 11:09:46 PM4/18/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
It is a tall outer cover with lots of utility space (the "attic").
The space is used for insulation in winter and optional honey super in summer.

20190817_164104(1).jpg

Scott Johnson

Apr 18, 2021, 11:37:00 PM4/18/21
to madbees
I have both traditional Langs. and long Langs.
I really like the long Langs. and have nothing to add to Mathew Anderson's summary other than that the long langs are easier to build than a set of boxes for a traditional Lang. hive.
If you are handy or have a handy friend, you could knock one together in a weekend afternoon. I've got plans on my site, adapted from Saraskan's model, with two entrances, as Mathew suggests. Also, I agree about the gable roof and making the base sturdier than indicated.

If you're ever between Stoughton and Evansville, drop me a line and you can have a look at my long Langs.

Scott
Scott Johnson Ph.D.

Matthew Walter

Apr 19, 2021, 10:10:14 AM4/19/21