Moving apiary/work party

John Thompson

Jun 26, 2024, 4:08:27 PMJun 26
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Those of you who have been to my apiary located at the day camp (we had a meeting there last July), the camps expansion plans will be taking place starting with road work, etc, after 8/23.

At this moment, the owner is suggesting that I move the hives to the northeast corner of the property as a temporary measure, but I am asking if there is a reason why we can't move it to the NW where the permanent location will be. I suspect it will be because of its proximity to the proposed parking lot.

Anyway, I'm hoping a few people will be able help move the hives when the the time comes. I'll have hopefully harvested most of the honey by then to lighten the load, but I do have some layens hives, and the langs will be double deeps, but still a good bit of weight. Plus the stands to be moved and leveled.

I would close off the entrances the night before, and I hope the pine bough trick will get the bees to reorient.

John Thompson

Jun 28, 2024, 6:56:54 PMJun 28
to mad...@googlegroups.com
After talking with the builders, it looks like my hives will be moved about 100 feet east, then after they do the parking lot and roads, they can be moved to the intended location on the west side of the property.

John Thompson

Jun 28, 2024, 6:57:48 PMJun 28
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to mention, one of the planners has a dad who kept bees, so he has some familiarity with the issues

Paul Zelenski

Jun 28, 2024, 7:26:31 PMJun 28
to mad...@googlegroups.com
How many hives do you have?
I’ve never heard good results from anyone that actually tried the line boughs. I’m wondering if we could fine you a place to move them and then move them back. It’s twice the moving, but assures the bees know where home is.

BETSY TRUE

Jun 28, 2024, 7:37:28 PMJun 28
to mad...@googlegroups.com
We have a hive lifter if you want to borrow one.
When is this happening?

Joseph Bessetti

Jun 28, 2024, 8:08:44 PMJun 28
to mad...@googlegroups.com
If you have to move them twice anyway, I’d probably move them to an alternative location more than two miles away and then back to the intended location when it’s ready.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

John Thompson

Jun 29, 2024, 10:04:40 AMJun 29
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I've got 11 hives there right now, 4 of them layens.

Since they're moving 100' the first time, I would think they'd find the new locations anyway, albeit with some drift.

3 of the hives are single deeps right now. Would be easy to move myself.

I have no other place to put them, unless I move one each time to my backyard for a couple of days, then to new site. Not going to work with the layens though, and would still have to wait til harvest.

John Thompson

Jun 29, 2024, 10:14:18 AMJun 29
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Messenger_creation_1c50da3e-9096-464b-9ac8-b963cabaff57.jpeg

Joseph Bessetti

Jun 29, 2024, 1:41:34 PMJun 29
to mad...@googlegroups.com
The other thing to consider is to leave one to collect the foragers that don’t stay moved.  That one could be moved 2 miles or more and back instead of all of them.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

Paul Zelenski

Jun 29, 2024, 2:01:08 PMJun 29
to mad...@googlegroups.com
That’s a good idea.
I have places you could put them if needed.