Oxalic Acid Dribble using food grade vegetable glycerin

Greg V

May 8, 2024, 9:14:22 AMMay 8
to madbees
Answer to a question during the club meeting last night.

This will be my second season using this formulation.
It works well for me.
No sugar is involved - safer for the bees.

For dribbling techniques and safety - see Randy O. documentation.
I have been simply doing 1-2 squirts per a frame side - depending the bee coverage.

OAD with food-grade vegetable glycerin as sticking agent.
-----------------------------------
400ml glycerin
600ml water
35g of OA
-------------------------
You get 1 L of 2.5% OA/gly solution by simple mixing.

Replace 35g of OA by your desired OA amount for stronger solutions.
45g -> 3.2%
60g -> 4.2%
---------------------------

Food-grade vegetable glycerin is inexpensive enough.

Gary Baisa

Jun 20, 2024, 8:25:49 PMJun 20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Hey Greg,

My mite counts are starting to creep up.  Last week i spayed two colonies just like you recommended below.

Hive 1 consists of 2 deeps.  Queenless right now.  Very little brood.  Mite count 13/300.  I was afraid of hitting them with too much OA so I spayed both sides of the middle 4 frames.  I figured these r the brood frames and would consist of mostly nurse bees.  Will this work?  When should i test?  Should i spray again?

Hive 2 consists of 1 deep.  Queenless.  Very little brood.  Mite count 34/300.  I spray everything, even one of the walls that had bees on it.  Same questions.

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Gary
Sent from my iPhone