Extended release oxalic acid treatment

Betsy True

Jun 7, 2024, 1:30:03 PMJun 7
to Madbees
I watched that excellent video on preparing the mite treatment and decided to save it in my recipe app. Enjoy!

Extended release oxalic acid treatment

Categories: Beekeeping

Ingredients
Chipboard: 11x17” 1.25 mm (.05”) thick (50 point)
460 g oxalic acid
450 ml glycerine
225 ml water (tap is ok)
Baking soda solution for cleanup

Directions
Cut board into 1.5” wide strips.
Crease and prebend for folding.
Put in plastic bag inside a bucket.
Add glycerin and oxalic acid to sauce pan and stir in water.
Heat glycerin and oxalic acid to 160° F, NO HOTTER. Stir until dissolved.
Pour solution over strips in bag to cover. Let soak 24 hours.
Remove and use.

Notes
Use caution with acid solution.
Avoid spatter and splashing.
Wear goggles.
Protect clothing.
Clean up by neutralizing with baking soda solution.

Shared from my Recipe Keeper - the easy way to collect, organize and share your recipes on your mobile, tablet and PC.

Download for free today at https://recipekeeperonline.com

Image-1.jpg

Greg V

Jun 7, 2024, 1:44:09 PMJun 7
to mad...@googlegroups.com
One thing to be aware about - typically the brood under such strips will die.
Subsequently, the queen will not lay under the strips.
Whether you care or not - personal decision.
This is not a deal breaker, but rather a detail to know and expect.

BETSY TRUE

Jun 7, 2024, 1:45:17 PMJun 7
to Madbees
Thanks for that clarification.