Testing for poisoning, testing for honey quality

Matthew Berigan

May 4, 2021, 6:50:17 PM5/4/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if I already asked this..... I'm wondering what Wisconsin beekeepers do if they suspect hive loss due to use of toxins by neighbors.

In the same way I'm wondering if there are methods to qualify honey quality and food sources (pollen?) by local Wisconsin Labs.

I ask because here in the northeast of Brazil when somebody suddenly loses a lot of native bee hives it is common to cast blame without any valid testing AND we have quite a few "honey" street vendors selling stuff that is obviously not what they say it is.

So how are these two things dealt with by WI beekeepers (toxin test, honey quality)??

I see EPA pages on reporting poisonings. Is there a common place for you WI beekeepers to register hive losses?

A local fellow here just lost 20 Melipona scutellaris bees which produce a marvelous honey and his neighbor has taken up controlling roadside long grass using herbicides (in spite of this supposedly being illegal). Add to that that there are no "authorities" to enforce such laws plus Brazilians tend to be averse to, or ignorant of, laws to begin with.

Matthew (Mateus) Berigan
Campina Grande, Paraiba Brasil
608-237-1596 (USA-fixo)
608-509-4512 (USA-fixo)