Bees behind siding, Madison east side.

jeanne hansen

Apr 7, 2021, 4:04:59 PM4/7/21
to madbees m madbees, KMR...@icloud.com
A woman noticed bees behind her siding last fall, but waited to see if they would die over winter.  No!  They are alive and active now.  The Orkin man took a look, but doesn't touch honey bees.

The hive entrance is where the siding meets the foundation, about 2' off the ground.

She doesn't have much money, and is interested in having the job done economically.

If some kind soul from our club would be willing to advise the woman and remove the bees, it would be appreciated.

Kathy Rabe
1905 Manley St (behind Smokey Jon off Packer's Ave)
Madison, WI 53704

Let the group know if you call her, so she isn't inundated with calls.
Thanks!!

Beekeeping is Fun!

Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714

Jeff Steinhauer

Apr 7, 2021, 4:21:38 PM4/7/21
to madbees
Mad Urban Bees is within walking distance.  Nathan might be able to confirm, and advise.
I would be interested to know if someone has a IR camera to locate the cluster.  If they are in the wall or basement, is there a basement, if it is finished.

d k

Apr 8, 2021, 9:03:31 AM4/8/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
If someone doesn't I can check it out, maybe work on a trapout if she is ok with a box in the area for a bit.

Dave

Andrew Meyer

Apr 8, 2021, 10:35:45 AM4/8/21
to madbees
I also live in the neighborhood, if no one else is interested I can swing by this weekend.

-Andy

d k

Apr 8, 2021, 12:27:33 PM4/8/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I called her on my break, sounds like someone called her.

Please let the group know when you call them!

Dave

Andrew Meyer

Apr 8, 2021, 12:38:24 PM4/8/21
to madbees
Whoops, sorry, I shot her an email a bit ago. I'm going to check it out over the weekend. Will take pictures and report back.

-Andy

Andrew Meyer

Apr 19, 2021, 1:36:10 PM4/19/21
to madbees
Hi all,

They're not honey bees, looks like they're cellophane bees or Colletes sp. (see attached picture). It looks like they found a spot to nest under her porch. The porch is an addition with a poured concrete wall around the perimeter, and a concrete deck, so there's no real way to get in there and check (picture attached).

I told her they like to nest in the ground, are very docile, and native pollinators which we need. I also said they aren't hurting the house and if they're not hurting anyone, then I'd just leave them be and enjoy watching them come and go. I also told her that if she really didn't want them there, she could caulk the crack (and emphasized that they're not hurting anything).

Does anyone have any further thoughts? I told her I'd follow up with a bit more info about these particular bees.

Thanks,
Andy
Porch wall and deck.jpg
Cellophane Bee.jpg