Swarm - Village of Dane

jeanne hansen

Jun 18, 2021, 7:26:34 PM6/18/21
to madbees m madbees, waas...@gmail.com
There is a swarm the size of a basketball at the end of a branch in a pine tree, about 15' up.  The problem is that the ground drops away in a steep hill below the swarm.  Still, I'm sure some of you agile people can find a way to get the swarm.

Contact:
Lisa Waas
407 Luke Ln
Dane, WI 53529

Let us know if you are going to call her.
Beekeeping is fun!!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714

Jeff Steinhauer

Jun 18, 2021, 8:49:26 PM6/18/21
to madbees
calling right now.

Jeff Steinhauer

Jun 19, 2021, 9:17:25 AM6/19/21
to madbees
It was a very nice sized swarm in a tree, that wasn't to difficult to get. I'll estimate between 10-12k.  I laid a sheet down on the ground below the branch, placed a box on it with some drawn comb, and shook them down.  Took about two hours to get them completely out of the tree, but I'm pretty sure I got the queen. These bees went into my top bar this morning, so I'll check on them in a week to see how they are getting along.  For good measure, I added a frame of eggs/larva to the box.

20210618_203805.jpg

jeanne hansen

Jun 19, 2021, 3:10:51 PM6/19/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the photo and the description of your work.  It was clever to avoid climbing, by SHAKING the bees down into a hive body.

Thanks very much!!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714