When is it too late to get a new queen?

Brian Gould

Jun 22, 2021, 9:04:12 AM6/22/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
2 of my 4 hives seem to be very quiet.  I think the queens must of died or got lost in the transfer from their nucs.  Is it too late to purchase new queens? We

Brian W. Gould

Jeff Steinhauer

Jun 22, 2021, 10:43:46 AM6/22/21
to madbees
Hello Brian,
Sometimes queens can be hard to find, even if they're marked.  Look for signs that they are still there; eggs & larva.  If not, you can either purchase a new queen, or take a frame of eggs from a queen right hive and place it the queenless hives, and let them raise their own.  Or if one of your other hives are making queen cells, take a couple of those frames and place it into the queenless hives.

Best wishes,
Jeff S.

Joseph Bessetti

Jun 22, 2021, 11:41:57 AM6/22/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
If the bees have nearly all left, per your statement they are very quiet, then there is little point in getting queens.

I would get in there and look.

A nuc is a minimal colony size already.  A weak nuc at this time of year might still build up for winter.  It really depends on how much effort you want to put into them.  I usually question the effort when you start taking resources from other hives to save them.  Giving them a frame of brood to raise a queen might be a learning opportunity, but probably isn't a good choice.  I would make a strong split from another hive instead if you want to increase your number of colonies.

Joe

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Brian Gould

Jun 22, 2021, 8:56:31 PM6/22/21