Google drive & sync and backup drive download

Andrew Lamanche

Apr 15, 2018, 5:18:39 PM4/15/18
to 'Chris Blouch' via MacVisionaries
For a couple of weeks now, as soon as I restart my macbook pro, I get a message that tells me Google Drive is going away soon, and is being replaced by Sync and Backup. The message contains a link to “learn more’ and “download”. The download button opens up the relevant page in Safari but when I press download link, nothing happens. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Andrew

Maria Reyes

Apr 15, 2018, 7:24:59 PM4/15/18
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com

I’m not exactually sure what this is, but I have the same thing on my windows laptop.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Apr 15, 2018, 8:05:52 PM4/15/18
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The Google Drive Desktop app and related interface is going away real soon.  I suggest you download and install Google Drive File Stream.  It allows you to have all your Google Drive files available to you, but they do not use up space on the local drive unless you purposely download the item for off-line use.  It has save me huge amounts of disk space on my Macs without affecting my Google Drive space on in the Cloud.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Apple Teacher
Fort McMurray, AB Canada

Andrew Lamanche

Apr 15, 2018, 10:06:26 PM4/15/18
to 'Chris Blouch' via MacVisionaries
Hi Tim,

Thanks for this but I have a question: is Google File Stream the same as Sync and Backup which the alert message mentions?  Also, once I am able to get it, will it automatically replace Google Drive, or do I have to delete it manually?  As I’ve said previously the alert message about Google Drive being discontinued contains a link to download its replacement but the download link on the page doesn’t seem to respond.  Any further suggestions, Tim?

Thanks again

Andrew

Tim Kilburn

Apr 15, 2018, 10:54:03 PM4/15/18
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I believe that there's a checkbox or something like that, that needs to be checked before the download will start.  If I remember correctly, it's not particularly obvious and it's not initially announced by VO.  You may need to do some looking around the page to see if you can find it.  If you still have problems with that, let me know and I'll try the download again.  I've still got the original dmg download on my Mac, so I've just been using it for installation on other machines.  I'm not sure why Google promotes the other two options, as I find Google Drive File Stream to be my best option.  I guess that's a matter of opinion though.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Apple Teacher
Fort McMurray, AB Canada

Andrew Lamanche

Apr 16, 2018, 2:59:15 AM4/16/18
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

When I looked at Google File Stream earlier on after I’d read your kind response, I read on the page that in order to use File Stream I needed a school or college Google account and no other option was present.  Curious that because I do already have a Google account and I’ve never heard of Google school account.  It just sounded to me as if File Stream was for organisations and their admins.  Hence Backup and Sync for private users or maybe it’s one and the same thing?  No rush with that anyway, Tim.

Thanks again

Andrew

Tim Kilburn

Apr 16, 2018, 9:56:19 AM4/16/18
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You may be right.  My Google account is with our School Board, so that may be why I prefer File Stream.  I wasn't aware that it was limited to our G Suite accounts.  I guess I should have investigated more in-depth before speaking.  My bad.  will do some research and let you know.  I imagine that they're similar, but better confirm before I spread misinformation again.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Apple Teacher
Fort McMurray, AB Canada

Tim Kilburn

Apr 16, 2018, 11:03:30 AM4/16/18
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, Google File Stream is only for G Suite accounts for Education or Business.  Backup & Sync is more like your current Google Drive as it continues to store files locally unless you place them in specific folders that you configure not to sync.  Backup & Sync also does not handle Team Drives, but this is often immaterial to personal Gmail users.  I can confirm that you need to locate a checkbox for agreeing to terms and conditions before the download will start though.  Beyond that, it should be a fairly easy and accessible process.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Apple Teacher
Fort McMurray, AB Canada

Andrew Lamanche

Apr 16, 2018, 3:11:49 PM4/16/18
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Tim, you have been right; I have finally located the agree link/box to make the process move on.  I’m grateful for the insight; I’d never have guessed what the problem was.  Now I shall be vigilant in similar situations.  Good learning curve.

Best wishes

Andrew