I recommend against upgrading to IOS 16

1 view

Donna Goodin

Sep 14, 2022, 3:01:24 PMSep 14
to via MacVisionaries
Hi all,

After approx 24 hours with IOS 16, I have come to the conclusion that my phone is only marginally usable. In addition to the swiping issue previously discussed, I’m also finding that often when I tap an icon or a mail message, the item will not open. Sometimes I can work around this by doing a tap and hold, but other times I cannot.

Everyone’s mileage may vary, of course, and from what I read on AppleVis, the usability may vary from one model to another. FWIW, I have a 12 mini. However, I wanted to post this to the list, just to warn others that they might be in for a bumpy ride with IOS 16. Were I you, I would wait, and hope for another release that fixes some of these issues. This is the worst accessibility experience I’ve ever had with Apple, since getting my first iPhone in 2009. I’ve actually written Accessibility to ask about downgrading, which I have never done before.
Cheers,
Donna
P.S. If others have had a better experience, feel free to post and disagree, so that listers can have the most complete information possible when deciding to upgrade.

Jessica Moss

Sep 14, 2022, 3:22:02 PMSep 14
to 'Jim Fettgather' via MacVisionaries
I’ve found this to be an issue as well, along with something strange happening with my phone screen this morning. I went into my recent contacts, and tried calling back someone who was close to the top of the screen, and ended up calling someone else instead, not realizing what happened.
Then just to help prevent this from happening again, I decided to go into the more info menu, just to make sure I was calling the right person, and my screen apparently jumped again, and went into information for the wrong contact, and it took about 3 tries for me to select the right one.
Is anyone else noticing this?
> --
> The following information is important for all members of the Mac Visionaries list.
>
> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
>
> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor. You can reach mark at: mk...@ucla.edu and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at cara...@caraquinn.com

> http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisi...@googlegroups.com/
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MacVisionaries" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/8A4E559C-52AC-40A7-A0D1-CAE92BBAFAC2%40me.com.

Donna Goodin

Sep 14, 2022, 3:29:09 PMSep 14
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Jessica, I don’t usually call people from contacts, but what you are describing makes sense. It’s seems like there is some fundamental problem with VO focusing on an item and then holding that focus until I shift it by touching another element on the screen. What phone model do you have?
Donna
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/174B6195-B2A6-4895-B9EE-17681E816F03%40gmail.com.

Jessica Moss

Sep 14, 2022, 3:54:59 PMSep 14
to 'Jim Fettgather' via MacVisionaries
I’m using an iPhone 12.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/647951B4-728F-48C8-89E2-FEB93E9186EB%40me.com.

E.T.

Sep 14, 2022, 5:37:16 PMSep 14
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Upgraded yesterday. No swiping issues of any kind. No issues either
with the phone app; So far the only thing I see that confirms I am using
iOS 16 is in the app stire app and checking latest nates. Apple
separated the release notes and put them after tyhe open button. Other
than that, things are good.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable."
--John F. Kennedy
My e-Mail:
Ancient...@icloud.com

Herbie Allen

Sep 14, 2022, 5:50:20 PMSep 14
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
We have had that issue for a number of years now. What’s frustrating is it has not been resolved.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/174B6195-B2A6-4895-B9EE-17681E816F03%40gmail.com.

Bradford Snyder

Sep 14, 2022, 6:27:38 PMSep 14
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
I also am not experiencing any “swiping” issues.
Only problem I am having, is when I have Smart Invert (or Classic Invert) enabled, I am not able to access the AppSwitcher.
I am able to remedy this situation by, turning off Smart Invert, and then restarting my iPhone.
Once the phone restarts, the AppSwitcher works s expected, until Smart Invert is enabled again, and the issue is present again.
I’ve tried using Dark Mode instead of Smart Invert, but Dark Mode only works in certain apps, and does not provide the same experience.

- Brad -
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/b0ad994d-9306-2923-0915-0adb713873e4%40icloud.com.

Donna Goodin

Sep 14, 2022, 9:20:28 PMSep 14
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
I’ve never experienced that until this upgrade. The strange thing about all this is that the behavior is very inconsistent. Sometimes I’ll double tap and everything’s good. Other times I can double-tap and double-tap forever and nothing happens.
Cheers,
Donna
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/874FF29B-FCAC-47FB-852A-CB8D970C64DE%40gmail.com.

Herbie Allen

Sep 14, 2022, 9:23:58 PMSep 14
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Am I correct in that you are experiencing these double tapping issues on the lock screen?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/8C29BA7A-62AD-4EAF-92C4-B15A4E63421F%40me.com.

Donna Goodin

Sep 14, 2022, 9:25:28 PMSep 14
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
No. I’m experiencing them while in various apps. One that jumps to mind is Mail. I frequently have trouble getting mail messages to open.
Cheers,
Donna
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/FCF608D6-F075-49AA-B2FC-DCAC1CEF666C%40gmail.com.

Herbie Allen

Sep 14, 2022, 9:27:32 PMSep 14
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Odd, I have not experienced this issue. I have the known bugs with the lock screen, but everywhere else works just fine. Make sure Screen recognition is off. Also, try turning VO off and then back on.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/4A05EB17-6CC0-423A-A328-41D681B57244%40me.com.

Donna Goodin

Sep 14, 2022, 10:49:23 PMSep 14
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Did the latter. I’ll check to make sure screen recognition is off.
Cheers,
Donna
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/977037B5-B71D-4063-A6F0-AEE1B3818A09%40gmail.com.

Devin Prater

Sep 15, 2022, 10:39:45 AMSep 15
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Anyone having really bad issues, have you tried resetting the phone? I know, last ditch effort, but it may fix some things and put you at the point where 16 is usable.

Donna Goodin

Sep 15, 2022, 10:58:52 AMSep 15
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
I have not.  I need to upgrade my phone, so I’m just hanging in there until I get my 14 Pro.
Donna

Kaare Dehard

Sep 15, 2022, 12:38:11 PMSep 15
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
I hope that when you get the new phone that iOS 16 isn’t pre-installed. I have a X R and minimal misbehaving and focus issues have been observed after upgrade. Annoying but nothing that’s been a show-stopper.

Herbie Allen

Sep 15, 2022, 12:40:35 PMSep 15
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
If getting a 14 then yes, iOS16 will be installed, and I don’t think there is any way to roll back the iOs.

Brad Snyder

Sep 15, 2022, 12:43:51 PMSep 15
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Without a doubt, iOS 16 will be installed on all new phones coming out this week.

- Brad -

On Sep 15, 2022, at 11:38, Kaare Dehard <kaare....@gmail.com> wrote:

I hope that when you get the new phone that iOS 16 isn’t pre-installed. I have a X R and minimal misbehaving and focus issues have been observed after upgrade. Annoying but nothing that’s been a show-stopper.

Donna Goodin

Sep 15, 2022, 12:56:44 PMSep 15
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
Well, hopefully it will behave better on the 14 than it does on the 12 mini.
Cheers,
Donna

Jonathan C. Cohn

Sep 15, 2022, 1:14:36 PMSep 15
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
well, it is my understanding that there is a new iOS subversion, waiting for the iPhone 14‘s to come out

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 15, 2022, at 12:56 PM, 'Donna Goodin' via MacVisionaries <macvisi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Well, hopefully it will behave better on the 14 than it does on the 12 mini.

Donna Goodin

Sep 15, 2022, 2:42:39 PMSep 15
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com

Jason White

Sep 15, 2022, 7:58:14 PMSep 15

On 14/9/22 15:01, 'Donna Goodin' via MacVisionaries wrote:
> Everyone’s mileage may vary, of course, and from what I read on AppleVis, the usability may vary from one model to another. FWIW, I have a 12 mini.

Mine is an iPhone XS. I upgraded on the day of release. Shortly after
the upgrade, the voice configuration in VoiceOver was reset to the
default (just the voice selection, not the speech rate). I fixed it in
the VoiceOver settings.

I haven't encountered any other bugs or issues so far, and I've been
using it significantly since the upgrade.

Donna Goodin

Sep 15, 2022, 8:08:04 PMSep 15
to macvisi...@googlegroups.com
I followed. Herbie’s suggestion, and turned off screen recognition. Since then, things have been much better. Direct touch still does not work, but the problem I was having with double tapping, not working seems to have worked itself out. I also had the issue with the voice resetting. But I let my phone sit and the voice switch back within a few minutes.
Cheers,
Donna.

Sent from my iPhone