Discussion on second-life-on-an-imac

Rocket

May 3, 2009, 3:32:47 AM5/3/09
to Macs Million
Well, I discovered something interesting on a PC that happens to apply
to my PPC iMac G5 (2005 vintage). I was looking at my graphics card
capabilities on my PC 256m Memory and thought about the fact that in
Windows, there is "shared memory" for graphics, which uses a portion
of system ram to enhance graphics ram.

This led me to try something. I changed my SL preferences to 512
graphics, and then knowing I don't have to render the desktop and its
icons in SL full screen mode, changed my preferences to run SL full
screen (not in a window)

The result was my frame rate doubling, or slightly more than doubling.
Now, I don't know if a mac employs "shared memory" but decided to try
this on my mac, and sure enough, it doubled my FPS.

I don't have an intel mac to try this on, but all comments are welcome
as usual:)

ForceKaul

May 3, 2009, 3:56:04 AM5/3/09
to Macs Million
Very cool - SL is fun again! Thanks Rocket