Is macropy still alive?

Brian Beckman

Oct 18, 2015, 11:03:31 PM10/18/15
to macropy
I just found this package, but it's not working smoothly in Python 2.7.10 and I filed a couple of issues (#69, a showstopper, and #70, failure of some unit tests).  I could use some advice to start debugging and fixing --- I didn't see anything obvious of quick to do.  I notice there have been no commits for a couple of years and wonder whether this package is dead?

Haoyi Li

Oct 19, 2015, 1:16:32 PM10/19/15
to Brian Beckman, macropy
Probably yeah

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:03 PM, Brian Beckman <bc.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just found this package, but it's not working smoothly in Python 2.7.10 and I filed a couple of issues (#69, a showstopper, and #70, failure of some unit tests).  I could use some advice to start debugging and fixing --- I didn't see anything obvious of quick to do.  I notice there have been no commits for a couple of years and wonder whether this package is dead?

Brian Beckman

Oct 20, 2015, 9:22:39 AM10/20/15
to Haoyi Li, macropy
Ok, well, I'm using it and sending pull requests :)  I fixed those bugs (at least to some level of "fix" and will keep it going in my fork on github.

Brian Beckman

Oct 20, 2015, 9:44:53 AM10/20/15
to Haoyi Li, macropy
btw i think macropy is great.  My alternative was going to be to implement Scheme (so I could get Kohlbecker's hygienic macros) or Clojure (which has hygienic macros) on top of Python.  This would be great for me (I prefer any Lisp to any non-Lisp), but would make it difficult to communicate with my colleagues.  MacroPy is a much better choice -- I can have metaprogramming (because it's insane to live without DSLs for any serious application), AND I can have numpy and scipy and Pint and SageMath and all the rest of the mindboggling Python ecosystem, AND I can work other people who will never adopt any Lisp.

Brian Beckman

Oct 21, 2015, 12:46:53 AM10/21/15
to Haoyi Li, macropy
Any thoughts of using Huet's zipper with the tree walker?  Would it make it easier to use or easier to implement?  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/zipper/0.0.3