RH8 IE7 Blank Page

Maquese

Feb 16, 2009, 12:34:03 PM2/16/09
My company just moved to Robohelp 8 and I've run into an issue. During some
testing for a new project, I created a demo webpage with links to several
different context sensitive help ids. See code example below.

In Firefox, clicking each link displays the appropriate help topic in a single
window. In IE7, the first link clicked opens the appropriate help topic in a
new window, but clicking any subsequent links on the demo page causes IE7 to
display only a blank webpage. If I close the help window and click a link in
the demo page, the appropriate help topic is displayed in a new window, but,
again, clicking any other link on the demo page displays a blank webpage.

I even tried upgrading an existing project from RH7 into RH8, and the webhelp
exhibits the same issues that the new project does.

Thoughts?

7)'>
How Do I Create a New Content Item
</a>
5)'>
How Do I Edit a Content Item
</a>

evdl

Feb 23, 2009, 5:00:36 AM2/23/09
I have the same problem. I call the help from my (.NET) application. The first
time the help shows fine, but when I leave the browser open and call the help
again I recieve an error : Access denied, whcsh_home.htm, line 196 char8

It seems to be a bug, so I hope for a fast response.

Peter Grainge

Feb 23, 2009, 6:50:22 AM2/23/09
Calling a second topic whilst the first is still open was a problem here but it
was fixed by some changes to our calls to the help. This was done by the
developers who have their own routine for calling the help.

There is some information that I gleaned from them on my site. See Calling
WebHelp.

EVDL. The error you are getting is not the same as you are getting an error
message. On the subject of fast responses, this forum is a user to user forum
so you get answers when people can fit them in with their work. That is usually
pretty quick. If you need faster, try Adobe Support.

Maquese

Feb 23, 2009, 9:37:55 AM2/23/09
Thanks for the reply Peter. I've visited your site a few times during my stint
with RoboHelp. :)

I actually had the links setup like shown in the examples on your website, and
I get the same results I mentioned earlier. If the links aren't exactly the
same (for example, I mistyped the ">WithNavPane" text in one link), and then
they both opened in separate windows, albeit one didn't display the nav pane.
Once I made the links identical, it stopped working again. Again, the only
change in my help is the version of RoboHelp I'm using to build the help. It
works fine in Firefox...

I may need to check into the Support we have with Adobe and see if they have
suggestions as well.

Thanks for the help so far, Peter.

evdl

Feb 24, 2009, 6:07:50 AM2/24/09
Peter, thanks for your reaction and I'am sorry to expect a (to) quick reaction.

The manner I want to communicate with my Help is from an .NET windows
application. With Robohelp 8 there is a RoboHelp_CSH.cs file you can use to
open the default browser and open the context-sensitive WebHelp based on Map
id's. Even with de adjustmenents on the Url I do not succeed to fix the
problem.

The url I use is : http://<server>/index.htm#<id=<number>

The first time it works fine, but when I leave the browser open and ask for
help again it goed wrong

Peter Grainge

Feb 24, 2009, 6:57:05 AM2/24/09
EVDL no worries but I needed to explain how things work here. I cannot help you
with calls to the help other than point to the links on my site. They contain
information written by others who do understand such things and they may have
covered this issue.

Have you checked the RH Help on this subject?

Looking at the other Maquese's code in this thread, that call using map ids
does look very different to yours which seems to be a mix of the URL call and
the map id call. However, that would break even the first call if I were right.

vivek_k

Feb 24, 2009, 9:09:24 AM2/24/09
Adobe is looking into this problem and is close to finding the fix.

Vivek.
Adobe RoboHelp Team

vivek_k

Feb 27, 2009, 5:29:17 AM2/27/09

We have found the fix, file <Program files>\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp
8\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_csh\whcsh_home.htm is the culprit.

4 lines (code attached) are to be removed from function SwitchURL()

If you are not comfortable removing this then you shall find this updated file
on Peter's site.
He continues to be the most helpful person around :-)

Vivek.

if(curWnd)
{
curWnd.document.location.href = "about:blank";
}

Peter Grainge

Feb 27, 2009, 5:45:50 AM2/27/09
It will be on my site for Monday.

And I love you too Vivek. :-)

Maquese

Feb 27, 2009, 9:53:59 AM2/27/09
Made the change, and it works like a charm! Thanks for the quick response, Vivek!

Peter Grainge

Feb 27, 2009, 10:44:43 AM2/27/09
Yes, this thread is for RH8.

Peter Grainge

Mar 1, 2009, 8:52:02 AM3/1/09
The fix is for EVDL's issue only. Maquese's issue is different.

gchandu

Mar 2, 2009, 6:30:13 AM3/2/09
Hi Vivek,

I am facing the same issue with RoboHelp for Word X5. But i dint find the code
which you typed for RH8. Could you please assist with RHX5 as well.

I just see a blank page when i click on the Help link. i do not see any error.
The help files opens and then goes off byitself and i get to see only the
transferring from the weblink and a blinking progress bar. Please help

Regards
Chandrika

RoboWizard

Mar 2, 2009, 8:34:33 AM3/2/09
Hi Chandrika

I'll be very surprised if you hear from anyone on your issue. There are a few
different reasons.

1. You are using RoboHelp for Word. Fewer and fewer people are using this and
moving to RoboHelp HTML.
2. You didn't say what your output type is? WinHelp? WebHelp? FlashHelp?
3. You are using a very old version of RoboHelp. According to my records, X5
was released in January 2004. That's five years ago. An eternity in computer
terms.

Cheers... Rick :smile;

Govadica

Mar 18, 2009, 12:38:07 PM3/18/09
Thank for Info. this forums help me a lot.

http://astore.amazon.com/zojirushi-bread-machine-bbccx20-20

reginal...@gmail.com

May 8, 2009, 2:16:43 PM5/8/09
On Mar 18, 12:38 pm, "Govadica" <webforumsu...@macromedia.com> wrote:
> Thank for Info. this forums help me a lot.
>
> http://astore.amazon.com/zojirushi-bread-machine-bbccx20-20

I have the same problem and commenting out the lines you're talking
about make crash line after...

Any Idea ?

Thanks, Reginald.