Fundraising Thermometer Widget?

Dave Anderson

May 20, 2006, 8:43:04 AM5/20/06
I'm looking for some type of a widget that I can us on my site where I
can enter data on an admin page and have it update a graphic showing the
current fundraising status. I've Googled, etc, but there doesn't seem to
be anything out there that's done dynamically with flash...

Are there some resources for this that you know of?

Thanks!

Dave

tralfaz

May 20, 2006, 2:38:00 PM5/20/06
"Dave Anderson" <Da...@DaveandHolly.com> wrote in message news:e4n2sr$8ap$1...@forums.macromedia.com...

If you can provide a range of values and what the graphic should look like I feel confident that someone could make one for you very
quickly (if you don't want to do it yourself). If you mention what the fundraiser is for it may increase interest in the project.
Do you have a particular admin page server technology now? Data in XML or text file or?
good luck,
tralfaz

NSurveyor

May 21, 2006, 12:36:21 PM5/21/06
Something like this?

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
href="http://swf.befallin.com/experiments/thermometer.html

All">http://swf.befallin.com/experiments/thermometer.html

All</a> the variables can be set through querystring variables in the HTML
file. I wasn't sure if you have Flash... but here's the FLA, along with the SWF
and the HTML file: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
href="http://swf.befallin.com/experiments/thermometer.zip

If">http://swf.befallin.com/experiments/thermometer.zip

If</a> you notice in the HTML code... we have:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="<a
target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
href="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#vers
ion=8,0,0,0"">http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.
cab#version=8,0,0,0"</a> width="300" height="350" id="thermometer"
align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="movie"
value="thermometer.swf?min=0&max=200000&val=100000&goal=200000&majMark=50000&min
Mark=25000&tit=Fundraising%20Status" /><param name="quality" value="high"
/><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><embed
src="thermometer.swf?min=0&max=200000&val=100000&goal=200000&majMark=50000&minMa
rk=25000&tit=Fundraising%20Status" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300"
height="350" name="thermometer" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="<a target=_blank
class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
href="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"">http://www.macromedia.com/go
/getflashplayer"</a> />
</object>

Make note of:

<param name="movie"
value="thermometer.swf?min=0&max=200000&val=100000&goal=200000&majMark=50000&min
Mark=25000&tit=Fundraising%20Status" />

and:

<embed
src="thermometer.swf?min=0&max=200000&val=100000&goal=200000&majMark=50000&minMa
rk=25000&tit=Fundraising%20Status" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300"
height="350" ....

You have to put in the values twice for the querystrings to have cross-browser
support (If I remember correctly ). And in case you don't understand what each
variable represents:

// QUERYSTRING VARIABLES
//max = top of thermometer value
//min = bottom of thermometer value
//goal = value trying to reach
//val = current value
//majMark = distance between values for a mark with value
//minMark = distance between values for a small mark
//tit = title of thermometer

Hope this helps

Dave Anderson

May 23, 2006, 7:12:06 AM5/23/06
Nsurveyor,

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you SO MUCH.... Our youth
camp is looking to raise money for a new building and wanted something
like this on the site...

I had to laugh when I saw it because we need to raise $200,000 by
October 31st... The scale was already set for me!

I was able to change the variables on the html page to reflect the money
collected so far, but is there an easier way so that I can have someone
plug a number into a form field on a page and have that value written to
the thermometer.html page?

The other question is how to embed it into my PHP page? It doesn't seem
like inserting the .swf will work (I get an 'error' Title and no
parameters when I try to run it). So is the best way to use an iFrame?

Thanks!

Dave

The Beat Suite

May 23, 2006, 7:59:14 AM5/23/06
Good luck with the fund raising

NSurveyor

May 23, 2006, 7:29:39 PM5/23/06
The Error message only shows up when the variables aren't being defined as
shown in te above example. If you post the code you have now, maybe I can find
the mistake...

I think it would be better if the flash file loaded the data, from a textfile.
So, all you would have to do is update the text file. If you like this idea
better, I'd be happy to fix it for you.

Dave Anderson

May 23, 2006, 8:51:49 PM5/23/06
Yes, I agree. I would prefer to embed the .swf file into the page. So it
would be a whole lot easier to have a text file to update. Would you
mind doing that? That would be great!

Thanks

Dave

NSurveyor

May 23, 2006, 9:59:15 PM5/23/06
Is that alright?

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://swf.befallin.com/experiments/thermometer.zip">http://swf.befallin.com/experiments/thermometer.zip</a>

Dave Anderson

May 24, 2006, 6:56:46 AM5/24/06
Is this a new one? It looks the same to me. Anyhow, thanks again for
doing this!

One last thing: Width is really limited on my page, so I'm trying to
figure out a way to maybe do two things - move horizontal hash marks
behind the thermometer so they stick out a little on both sides (this
will allow the number scale to move in a bit). and also to move the
'amount raised' up under the title. I think that will help narrow things
up for me.

However, if you could please send me the new text file version before
any layout changes, that would be great as I could then use either.

Thanks again!

Dave

NSurveyor

May 24, 2006, 7:30:29 AM5/24/06
My bad... I forgot to stick the 2 after theromemeter:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
href="http://swf.befallin.com/experiments/thermometer2.zip">http://swf.befallin.
com/experiments/thermometer2.zip</a>

I'll make the changes in about 12ish hours - have to go to school now.

Dave Anderson

May 24, 2006, 9:37:22 PM5/24/06
No problem... I really like the use of the text file. That will make it
much easier!

I noticed that the graphic seems to fade up from black. Is that
something you just added? Is it possible to switch that back? Just
curious...

Thanks again!

Dave

NSurveyor

May 25, 2006, 12:02:51 AM5/25/06
Ok, updated. (redownload thermometer2.zip)

Dave Anderson

May 25, 2006, 8:39:01 AM5/25/06
NSurveyor wrote:
> Ok, updated. (redownload thermometer2.zip)

Thanks! Exactly what I needed!

Dave

NSurveyor

May 25, 2006, 5:11:39 PM5/25/06
You're welcome.

Slushi

Dec 6, 2009, 9:32:01 AM12/6/09
Do you have a code for a facebook event cuz none of these seem to work

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/68_2006_5_0_0_758997/Fundraising-Thermometer-Widget.htm

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/

bdo...@communityhospitalcorp.com

Sep 22, 2014, 11:26:07 AM9/22/14
Is there somewhere I can download this from now? The original site is gone.

Thank you!
-Brian