Error opening a Flash 8 document - 'Could not open this scene probably because of low memory'

ben.s...@wyg.com

Jun 6, 2006, 10:15:20 AM6/6/06
Hi all

I've been working on a Flash file for a few months now, particularly in
the last week or two. I've come into work this morning and I can't open
the file! The error message I get is 'Could not open this scene
probably because of low memory'. When I click on 'OK', a Windows 'Flash
8 has encountered a problem and needs to close' error appears. Clicking
'Send Error Report' or 'Don't Send' on that dialogue box then closes
Flash.

I've read this thread here:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/macromedia.flash/browse_thread/thread/2c3317a153518b48/d0ae0f6eaa517030?lnk=st&q=%22could+not+open+this+scene%22+flash+8&rnum=1&hl=en#d0ae0f6eaa517030
but the people in that thread are able to get into the file and sort
the problem out (a corrupted PNG apparantly)... I can't get into the
file at all!

I was working on the file yesterday afternoon with no problems. No
memory issues of any kind. It's only when I tried to open it up this
morning that the error appeared.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Pentium 4 3GHz workstation and 1Gb
RAM. I also tried loading the file into a higher spec machine (WinXP
Pro SP2 Pentium 4 3.4GHz machine with 2Gb RAM) but the same error
occurred.

I can open other Flash files with no problems. I've also tried
uninstalling and re-installing Flash 8 several times with no luck.

Can anyone please, please, please help me?! I called Macromedia / Adobe
support but they said they couldn't do anything!

Cheers
Ben

ben.s...@wyg.com

Jun 6, 2006, 11:19:34 AM6/6/06
I've managed to open the file! I turned on Compatibility Mode for
Flash.exe to Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) and now I can open it!

Here's how:

Browse to C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\Flash.exe and right click
on it. Select Properties. Under the Compatibility tab, tick' Run this
program in compatibility mode for:' and select 'Windows NT 4.0 (Service
Pack 5).

Probably not ideal but it's better than re-doing 2 weeks worth of work!

Ben

Adam

May 18, 2008, 6:15:30 AM5/18/08
OMFG! Thank you SO much you just saved me 2 days of work!

The other posts from "officials" were useless.

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/68_2006_6_0_0_768131/Error-opening-a-Flash-8-document--Could-not-open-this-scene-probably-because-of-low-memory.htm

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
http://www.developmentnow.com

Alexis

May 25, 2008, 8:54:48 AM5/25/08
YOU JUST SAVED ME!!
school project worth 20% of my grade and i thought it was gone.
thank you so much, you really have no idea.
alexis.

ror

Sep 25, 2008, 8:47:17 PM9/25/08
thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou so much for posting this!!!! You all just saved my precious precious image that I'd just finished lineart on but wouldn't open. I owe you all my firstborn.

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/68_2006_6_0_0_768131/Error-opening-a-Flash-8-document--Could-not-open-this-scene-probably-because-of-low-memory.htm

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/

NekoTwins

Oct 14, 2020, 5:28:20 AM10/14/20
Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) isn't an option for me :(