ColdFusion, MySQL, single quotes

Michael Casey

Feb 10, 2017, 5:34:32 AM2/10/17
I am using ColdFusion 11 and a MySQL5 database, with everything set to UTF-8 character encoding. I am having trouble making my selects work properly when they contain single quotes. Here is a simple example:

I have a simple piece of sql:
select * from table where column = 'I've got a single quote';

In my sql client I need to modify this to escape the single quote, thus:
select * from table where column = 'I''ve got a single quote';
And this works correctly.

And in ColdFusion, the query looks like this:
<cfquery name="qryName" datasource="dsn">
select * from table where column = <cfqueryparam CFSQLType="CF_SQL_VARCHAR" value="I've got a single quote" />
</cfquery>
However, the row is not returned and there is no error.

I tried using preserveSingleQuotes too, but still nothing is returned:
<cfqueryparam CFSQLType="CF_SQL_VARCHAR" value="#preserveSingleQuotes(I've got a single quote)#" />

Can anyone suggest what's wrong?