Can technology be humanist? Should it be humanist? Why?

eloone

May 23, 2011, 5:17:08 PM5/23/11
to machines-a...@googlegroups.com
Parent article is Show me the numbers.
My point of view in this article is clearly that of a humanist. However, when reasoning like a scientist, I also wonder, why should we load technology with humanism? If we start doing so, shouldn't we also load technology with other principles like capitalism, moral, religion, etc? Why necesarily humanism? There are several concerns :

  1.  Technology is so much simpler when it's purely technical, by nature it's discrete and simplifies many complex abstract notions, so is it really possible to make it humanist?
  2. As of now, the design of technology is free, should we make it humanist? Should the design of technology follow a preexisting principle? Should there be something like "the ethics of technology"?
  3. Why and why not?