Welcome (again - larger list)

Ravindra Jaju

Nov 1, 2011, 4:53:38 AM11/1/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone.

Welcome to the machine-learning enthusiasts group. Although this group is to bring together
enthusiasts in Pune, there's nothing to stop people from out of Pune to join. I believe one person
from Mumbai is in too.

The primary push for creating the group was to connect people taking up the online #mlclass
from #stanford online, but again, focus of this list is not limited to only that.

Please do start posting useful stuff, thoughts (including links to useful stuff which could be your
[relevant] blogs), tools, books, experiences.

Thanks,
jaju

Jaidev Deshpande

Nov 1, 2011, 8:26:51 AM11/1/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
How many of us would be interested in a get-together?

Trilok Khairnar

Nov 1, 2011, 9:39:42 AM11/1/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I was greedy and could not help taking all 3 free courses offered currently by Stanford.
Have been scrambling on Sundays to follow the schedule (watch the videos and finish homework) for ML class. Luckily, the db-class has not been demanding so far, (perhaps because I do it for living, like most of us - and it's an introductory undergraduate level class). Would have ideally liked to do the programming assignments for ml-class in R and Python as well.
Anyone else taking all 3 courses, or did everyone figure out earlier that it was non-optimal?

It was 'machine learning' week in the AI class this week and 'twas naive Bayesian of me to assume that 'prior' knowledge acquired in ML class would help, but the AI class covered a lot more a lot faster. No programming is required there (so far). The AI and ML classes have some more overlap - neural networks and HMMs etc.

Thanks,
Trilok

Ravindra Jaju

Nov 2, 2011, 2:58:27 AM11/2/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
I think quite a few might be interested. I am.

Is there a place where we could all meet?

Ravindra Jaju

Nov 2, 2011, 3:03:15 AM11/2/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
That's not greedy. That's brave! ;-)

I signed up for AI and ML, and then find myself struggling to keep up with just one - ML.
The struggle is not about content, but finding time beyond your day job and family stuff.

Maybe, people meeting up is be a good idea for us all to exchange notes, discuss,
and accelerate learning because those who'd have undergone the effort of doing one
part can help others catch up on those, and get help on the other parts they could not
work on.

Meetup location ideas, anyone?

For me, a Saturday, or a working day evening is preferable.

--
jaju

dhananj...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2011, 4:46:29 AM11/2/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
We should be able to meet @ vayana office opp side of e square nr symbiosis inst of dist learning.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Ravindra Jaju wrote:

I think quite a few might be interested. I am.

Is there a place where we could all meet?

Trilok Khairnar

Nov 2, 2011, 6:18:42 AM11/2/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Will do. Grubshup on law college road is fine with me too.
Is Friday evening (after 6pm) a good time?

Thanks,
Trilok

Ravindra Jaju

Nov 2, 2011, 7:46:38 AM11/2/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Guess meeting in an office is a good idea - quieter and easier for some serious discussions!

Friday at Vayana? Possible, Dhananjay? If yes, please do suggest a time convenient to Vayana.

If Friday is fine with Dhananjay, people please do respond.

Thanks,
jaju

dexterous

Nov 2, 2011, 12:31:39 PM11/2/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Dude, TW'd be glad to lend us the lounge on a weekend. ;)

- d

dexterous

Nov 2, 2011, 12:32:49 PM11/2/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Friday evening should be good, esp given Dhananjay and I will already be at the office. :)

- d

Shridhar Bhat

Nov 3, 2011, 10:04:21 AM11/3/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

Are we meeting this Friday (tomorrow)? I'm interested in meeting ML
enthusiasts here and would also bring a friend along.

-Shridhar.

Jaidev Deshpande

Nov 3, 2011, 10:32:10 AM11/3/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm doing the ML course and a friend is doing an AI course. Can we both come?

Dhananjay Nene

Nov 3, 2011, 12:43:44 PM11/3/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Does 6:30 pm work for everyone? If so we could certainly meet up.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Shridhar Bhat <shridh...@gmail.com> wrote:

http://blog.dhananjaynene.com twitter: @dnene google plus: http://gplus.to/dhananjaynene

Ravindra Jaju

Nov 4, 2011, 1:07:24 AM11/4/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Hello all.

I realized I have a friend's wedding to attend this evening (lost track of date!)

Does tomorrow evening work for people?

Please do respond to this thread with your preferences. Based on the numbers, it might make
sense to do this either this evening or tomorrow!

(Based on my conversation with Dhananjay) - Tomorrow, the time could be earlier in the evening.
Say, about 4.

Thanks,
jaju

Dhananjay Nene

Nov 4, 2011, 1:30:23 AM11/4/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
I am comfortable with either times, so if folks can respond with their availability/preference no later than 1:00 pm today, we could decide soon thereafter.

Jaidev Deshpande

Nov 4, 2011, 3:56:06 AM11/4/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

is there someone I can call to talk about this?

Dhananjay Nene

Nov 4, 2011, 5:25:20 AM11/4/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Given a lack of response - let us go ahead with today evening 6;30 pm. Kindly RSVP and I shall send out the directions / address etc.

Shridhar Bhat

Nov 4, 2011, 7:05:27 AM11/4/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
My friend and I can come at 6:30pm today. My contact no: 9850847857.

Can I have any contact no that I can call to confirm if the meeting is
happening or not?

-Shridhar.

>>> --
>>>
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> http://blog.dhananjaynene.com twitter: @dnene

>>> <http://twitter.com/dnene>google plus:

>>> http://gplus.to/dhananjaynene
>>>

> --
> http://blog.dhananjaynene.com twitter: @dnene

> <http://twitter.com/dnene>google plus:
> http://gplus.to/dhananjaynene

Dhananjay Nene

Nov 4, 2011, 7:45:27 AM11/4/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
We are meeting up at the following address at 6:30 pm today.

A couple of folks from Vayana, Shridhar & friend, and Jaidev have confirmed attendance. Others are welcome.

The map to the location is here : http://g.co/maps/sstke

The address is :

Vayana Services,
3rd Floor, Shivkamal,
1076/5 Vidya vihar Colony,
Opposite Govt. Polytechnic ground
Firodia Road,
Shivajinagar Pune.

The closest landmark is Symbiosis Institute of Distance Learning. The Vayana office is in the lane that goes off perpendicular in front of Symbiosis Inst of Distance Learning. On the right hand side will be the huge Govt. Polytechnic Ground. On the left after crossing a few (3-4??) bungalows, there should be a small Firodia Garden on the left. Shivkamal (the building) is a couple of buildings afterwards on the left side. If you have any difficulty finding the place - just call me on 9823099298

Dhananjay
http://blog.dhananjaynene.com twitter: @dnene google plus: http://gplus.to/dhananjaynene

Jaidev Deshpande

Nov 4, 2011, 11:14:00 AM11/4/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Had a great time today. Here are links to some of the things I talked about today:

1. http://www.kdnuggets.com/competitions/index.html This link should help you keep track of almost all current data mining / machine learning competitions of note. The site also hosts a lot of other resources.

2. Here's the link to the HPN Health Prize http://www.heritagehealthprize.com/c/hhp

3. Also check out http://www.kaggle.com/

See you next week.

Shridhar Bhat

Nov 5, 2011, 6:02:50 AM11/5/11
to machine-le...@googlegroups.com, Sunil Jigyasu
Hi All,

It was great meeting the guys yesterday. For the benefit of those who
couldn't make it, the following are the minutes of the meeting:

- Attended by Dhananjay Nene, Jaidev Deshpande, Sagar, Shridhar Bhat,
Sunil Jigyasu and Venketesh and a girl from Vayana whose name I'm not
able to recall right now.
- We talked about the ML class in general and how R and Octave languages
compare.
- We decided to meet every week till the ML class runs and then probably
once every month if the group gathers enough momentum.
- Jaidev told us about various online competitions around ML and asked
if we would be interested in forming a team to compete. He has forwarded
links in the email below.
- We also decided to that each one of us will take turns to talk about a
topic related to ML (if possible, a topic relevant to the ML class topic
of the week).
- We also decided to use a toy dataset to play with some of the ML
techniques learnt so far.

We had good fun talking yesterday and it would be good if more of you
can join us next Friday at 6:30pm.

Thanks to Dhananjay for providing the meeting place.

-Shridhar.