MacHG and Kaleidoscope - Item Missing error?

Victor Hooi

May 16, 2011, 6:40:25 PM5/16/11
to machg_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm using MacHG 0.23 with Kaleidoscope 1.1.3 (build 48), and I'm having some issues tri

In MacHG, under preferences, I've set Kaleidoscope as the diff tool.

In Kaleidoscope, I've installed ksdiff.

In MacHG, if I then select a file, right click, and choose "Diff selected file", Kaleidoscope will open.

However, on the left hand pane it says "Item Missing", and in the right-hand pane it simply shows a blank white box.

Cheers,
Victor

Jason Harris

May 17, 2011, 8:17:29 AM5/17/11
to machg_m...@googlegroups.com
Go ahead and report this in the bug tracker : https://bitbucket.org/jfh/machg/issues

Is it only with this repository or is it with all repositories?

I updated to the latest Kaleidoscope and everything is working fine for me. Can anyone else reproduce this? Can you do do the diffs from the mercurial command line to launch Kaleidoscope? Do other diff tools work in MacHg like eg FileMerge or p4Merge (which is also free)... Does resetting your Kaleidoscope preferences make a difference?

Thanks,
Jas

Victor Hooi

Jul 22, 2011, 9:11:32 AM7/22/11
to machg_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As far as I can tell, this issue is with all respositories.

I'm using MacHg 0.9.23, with Kaleidoscope 1.1.5 (Build 54) on OSX Lion 10.7.

I've also noticed something interesting - if I double-click on a single file in History view in MacHg, and try to open it, I get the error described earlier - the left pane shows an empty white space, opening /dev/null, and the right side shows "Item Missing". I've attached a screenshot below:

However, if I double click on a changeset in History view, it will open up Kaleidoscope succeessfully, with all the files shown on the left pane, and everything seems to work fine and dandy.

Filemerge works fine, either clicking on individual files, or clicking on changesets.

Cheers,
Victor

Jason Harris

Jul 22, 2011, 9:24:11 AM7/22/11
to machg_m...@googlegroups.com
On Jul 23, 2011, at 1:11 AM, Victor Hooi wrote:

Hi,

As far as I can tell, this issue is with all respositories.

I'm using MacHg 0.9.23, with Kaleidoscope 1.1.5 (Build 54) on OSX Lion 10.7.

I've also noticed something interesting - if I double-click on a single file in History view in MacHg,

Sorry, do you mean the button (which hence only requires a single click?)

and try to open it, I get the error described earlier - the left pane shows an empty white space, opening /dev/null, and the right side shows "Item Missing". I've attached a screenshot below:

However, if I double click on a changeset in History view, it will open up Kaleidoscope succeessfully, with all the files shown on the left pane, and everything seems to work fine and dandy.

Filemerge works fine, either clicking on individual files, or clicking on changesets.

First: I still haven't upgraded to Lion myself (A matter of having a stable build machine and not wanting to destabilize my production machine, but I have managed to procure a spare machine which can boot lion, so I will try and experiment this weekend.)

But can I confirm that you are running Lion and FileMerge works fine for you? The next question is I am not sure of the exact steps to reproduce. Can you file a bug on this? (and can I get you to try something like p4Merge just to confirm that it's not a specific Kaleidoscope problem...

Thanks!
   Jason

Victor Hooi

Jul 22, 2011, 10:30:02 AM7/22/11
to machg_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, sorry, I meant clicking once on the button.

Yes, I can confirm that MacHg and Filemerge work fine (under Lion).

I've just downloaded p4 (massive download), and placed p4merge in Applications. I've then set MacHg to use p4merge as the diff tool. When I click on a single file to view, it bring's up the "Choose Files" dialog in p4merge.

When I click on a changeset, it likewise brings up the "choose Files" dialog.

And of course, it works in Kaleidoscope for changesets, but not for individual files. I've just submitted a bug about the Kaleidoscope issue here:

Cheers,
Victor

Victor Hooi

Jul 22, 2011, 11:08:19 AM7/22/11
to machg_m...@googlegroups.com
heya,

Weird - I thought I'd already posted a reply, but it's not showing up. Drat. Maybe I forgot to hit post...strange.

Basically, yes, I can confirm it works fine with Lion and FileMerge.

With Kaleidoscope - it works with changesets, but not single files (sorry you were right, I mean clicking the button once, not double-clicking).

I've filed a bug for it here:

I tired it with p4merge - and it simply opens up the "Choose Files" dialog, for some reason.

Cheers,
Victor