how can I connect a VGA Mac (blue and white) to 27" Studio display (USB-C)

Art Newman

Jan 8, 2023, 11:32:17 AM1/8/23
to mach...@googlegroups.com
I have an old Blue and White Mac that has a VGA output. Is there any way
to connect it to my new 27" studio display?

I tried VGA->HDMI->USB-C, but no joy.

TIA,
Art

Allison Sheridan

Jan 8, 2023, 5:24:55 PM1/8/23
to MacHACers
I wrote a blog post when I tried to do something similar

Belkin-Thunderbolt-Docks-diagram-1.png

On Jan 8, 2023, at 2:23 PM, Allison Sheridan <ashe...@mac.com> wrote:

What a fun thing to try, Art!

This is a bit of an art, but you probably would need some sort of active adapter with Thunderbolt, not merely USB-C.

The letter after the word “USB” means only the shape of the connector. What runs over it is more complicated. There are USB-C connectors and cables and adapters that can carry just USB signals, while others can carry the HDMI signal over Thunderbolt.

Have fun,
Allison Sheridan
Podfeet Podcasts at https://podfeet.com
Technology geek podcasts with an EVER so slight Apple bias!
Follow me at @podfeet

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com