10GbE multi gig wired suggestions?

Bradford Miller

Aug 30, 2021, 5:51:56 PM8/30/21
to mach...@googlegroups.com
On a somewhat different topic, I’m interested in upgrading my (home) wired network from 1GbE to 10GbE at least between some prime machines. I’ve got Cat-6 in the walls (generally two to each room) which should be good enough for 5GbE each at least (if the switch supports multi gig), and I’ve done some research into multiGig switches I can put into my network closet to act as a hub (e.g., Netgear XS512EM, 12-port managed). I currently have a 24-port 1GbE Netgear but it saturates during backups (even though I stagger them it’s getting to the point they can’t get all done at night and I don’t want to intrude on streaming and netsurfing during the day :-0).

What I haven’t been able to find are relatively inexpensive replacements for the switches I have in the offices: right now I use Netgear GS108’s but I’m looking to replace them with something that can do multi-gig to local machines with a pair of 5GbE uplinks to the network closet (the fastest machines can do 10GbE, e.g. recent Mac minis and iMacs so I think I can eliminate the backup time issue with enough bandwidth). So far all I’ve found are unmanaged switches which don’t have port aggregation. Or they’re $400 each (e.g. Netgear XS505M), which is prohibitive given I’ll have to buy several of them (plus the XS505M is huge compared to the GS108 making placement an issue).

Pulling new cable probably isn’t in the picture (if I could, link aggregation wouldn’t be needed). Other than to the server closet, the ceilings are all drywalled. (I can/will pull cat-7/8 (or maybe fiber if I get ambitious, I think everything has SFP+ these days) to the server from the network closet, though it’s close enough to the network closet (< 25m as the cable runs) it might do 10GbE over cat 6 so I figured I’d wait).

Any suggestions or other ideas appreciated; I can post a more complete description of the network topology if it helps, but it’s basically a tree.

Mario Obejas

Sep 4, 2021, 9:31:51 PM9/4/21
to mach...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm: Is it a curse or a blessing to need 10GigE?

Outside of the box thought:
To avoid the Netgear 24 saturation, can you offload it, e.g., connect the "prime machines" to each other via a separate switch?

I assume current topology:
[ROUTER]------[Netgear24]-----[clients1..n]

I'm suggesting:

Idea #1 : offload switch if the prime machines are generating traffic to each other
[ROUTER]--+---[Netgear24]-----[nonprime clients1..n]

                   +---[Another GigE switch]-----[prime clients1..n]

OR
Idea #2 : offload backup traffic somewhat if that backup traffic is the saturation cause
Move your backup machine to a separate network, with it's own switch, add a network card to the machines producing the heaviest backup traffic (which I'm assuming are desktops/servers)

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

Bradford Miller

Sep 5, 2021, 8:04:44 AM9/5/21
to mach...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 5, 2021, at 7:53 AM, Bradford Miller <gor...@icloud.com> wrote:

Thanks! Yeah that does bring up something I hadn’t thought of: use only one of the cables to the rooms to connect to the prime machine and keep the non-primes on the GS108 connected to the other machines (max one prime per room at this point) so I’d only need one “fast” switch to sit on the side of the 24 for prime clients with a fast(er) connection to the MS510TX (which is used for distribution in the server rack and to connect to the main WiFi). That brings the cost down considerably!