Mac - PC & HP printer configuration issue

jlla...@verizon.net

Sep 26, 2021, 2:37:25 PMSep 26
to mach...@googlegroups.com

===============================

Basic configuration:

MacOS 10.13.6  (I can't upgrade with this iMac hardware).
PC Windows 10
HP printer: HP Laserjet 1606 dn
TP-Link router / wifi

PC and printer are in one part of the house; Mac and router are in a different part of the house.
The printer is connected to the PC via USB (too far for ethernet cable without climbing into the attic)
The PC uses WiFi to connect to the router
The Mac is hardwired to the router

PC is configured for print sharing
Mac - printer was added under printers & scanners preferences, using Windows / workgroup / PC name / printer share name
share this printer on the network is checked

Symptoms:
I used to be able to print.  I had the pritner name as my default printer.  I would enter a User name and Password.  Even though a message would pop up in the printer window: "Printing - Couldn't open fifo (2)", the printed document would come out just fine.
Then one day it didn't.  I can't think of a change in the configuration that could be the culprit.

Now the printer is "Paused" and the "Ready to Print" is displayed.  The document is waiting in the job queue (Mac Window).  nothing appears in the printer queue on the PC.  If I click "Resume", the message "Printing - Couldn't open fifo (2)" is displayed briefly and then it reverts to "Ready to Print" with the document still in the job queue.

The printer works just fine from the PC.  I can access files on the PC from the Mac.  TeamViewer between PC and Mac works fine.

Any ideas on how to get the printer connection to work without installing a new router in the PC/printer room.?

Allison Sheridan

Sep 26, 2021, 3:05:28 PMSep 26
to jlla...@verizon.net, mach...@googlegroups.com
Good job describing all of the specifics. The only thing I can think of is to try to reinstall the drivers:

Allison

On Sep 26, 2021, at 11:37 AM, jllatimer via MacHACers Allison <mach...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

Bradford Miller

Sep 26, 2021, 4:23:13 PMSep 26
to mach...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes it works to tell printer&scanner preferences to forget the printer and then re-add it. That’s what I do with my Brother printer when it becomes incommunicado…

Mario Obejas

Sep 27, 2021, 7:01:25 PMSep 27
to mach...@googlegroups.com
Jill, given that:
A. The PC and printer are in the same room and
B. The PC has an acceptable WiFi signal

Solution:
Reconfigure the printer to also use WiFi, same network as your other wireless devices.
Then reconnect to that printer directly, instead of going through your PC Printer Sharing.

That way you don't need the odd USB connection that requires
a. your PC to always be powered on for others to use the printer, and
b. added level of complexity in the mix due to Printer Sharing on the Windows PC

On a different note:
WRT: "The printer is connected to the PC via USB (too far for ethernet cable without climbing into the attic)"

You can also bring Ethernet into that room without having to resort to new wiring - use a Powerline adapter that leverages your home's existing wiring. It won't work with a GFCI circuit or a surge protector, but it's an option for a wired experience. YMMV, and you probably won't get Gigabit speeds, but it's an option.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-TP-Link/dp/B084CZMYNM/ref=psdc_1194444_t1_B01LXOZ4EN

Allison Sheridan

Sep 28, 2021, 9:35:30 AMSep 28
to unix...@yahoo.com, mach...@googlegroups.com
Mario - I looked the printer up because that was my first thought, but this printer doesn’t have a WiFi radio from what I read.

Allison Sheridan
Podfeet Podcasts at https://podfeet.com
Technology geek podcasts with an EVER so slight Apple bias!
Follow me at @podfeet

jlla...@verizon.net

Sep 29, 2021, 12:11:41 AMSep 29
to mach...@googlegroups.com

Allison,

I downloaded and installed the driver pkg.

What are the next steps?  Remove the printer from the "Printers and Scanners" list and add back in?  Restart the computer?

I assume driver HP LaserJet Profession P1600dn, 6.9 is close enough to P1606dn.

thanks,
Jim

Allison Sheridan

Sep 29, 2021, 9:37:50 AMSep 29
to jlla...@verizon.net, mach...@googlegroups.com
I’m not an expert here on this topic but removing it and putting it back in seems like the reasonable thing to do.

On Sep 28, 2021, at 9:11 PM, jllatimer via MacHACers <mach...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

MIKE SHULMAN

Sep 29, 2021, 12:35:52 PMSep 29
to mach...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

I think it was suggested to “Reset Printing System” instead of just removing and re-adding the printer. This resetting step can help with some printing problems.

Apple has a page on how to do it here:

Mike