Ars Technica - Malicious Wi-Fi naming

Dennis Kane

Jun 22, 2021, 10:10:32 AM6/22/21
to mach...@googlegroups.com
apple.newsapple.news
The world's most secure consumer OS is bitten by a garden-variety programming bug.

By connecting to a Wi-Fi network that uses the SSID “%p%s%s%s%s%n” (quotation marks not included), iPhones and iPads lose the ability to join that network or any other networks going forward, reverse-]engineer Carl Schou reported on Twitter

Schou, who is the owner of hacking resource Secret Club, initially saw no easy way to restore Wi-Fi capabilities. Eventually, he found that users could reset network functionality by opening Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

pete

Jul 5, 2021, 12:58:34 PM7/5/21
to MacHACers
When I first saw this e-mail title, I thought it might be about facetious WiFi names, like "FBI Van 3" or (ours) "IRS Surveillance Net".

Matt Wilbur EFS

Jul 5, 2021, 1:00:12 PM7/5/21
to mach...@googlegroups.com

I did too. But a coworker was hit with this in DFW a couple of weeks ago. Definitely real.

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com