Missing Component Error Even Though Component Exists

Marc Rohrer

Sep 4, 2014, 1:34:33 PM9/4/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
We are getting occasional missing component errors even though the component does exist.

The error is "Could not find the ColdFusion component or interface xxx.xxx.xxx." And the detail is "Ensure that the name is correct and that the component or interface exists."

Some times the error will go away with a page refresh, sometimes it won't. We have boosted memory significantly for the JVM to 10GB, which has eliminated most, but still get some.

The concern is that we will get these errors again as we continue to migrate a very large app to Mach II. Does anyone know why these errors might be occurring and how to eliminate them?

Thanks,
Marc

Kurt Wiersma

Sep 4, 2014, 4:53:02 PM9/4/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
Are you able to reproduce the error on your local dev environment or do you only see it sometimes in production?

--Kurt

Marc Rohrer

Sep 8, 2014, 9:42:54 AM9/8/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
We're not in PROD yet. We have this on DEV. We are able to reproduce the error on our sandbox server too.

Marc

Kurt Wiersma

Sep 10, 2014, 1:17:10 PM9/10/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
Do you have "save class files" turned on in the cf admin? What version of CF are you using?

Marc Rohrer

Kurt Wiersma

Sep 12, 2014, 10:18:06 PM9/12/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
Do you have the component cache turned on in the CF admin? Do you have any mapping defined that point to the same directory?

Marc Rohrer

Sep 19, 2014, 2:41:40 PM9/19/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
Component cache is turned on. I did find a Mach II mapping to a different app in the CF admin. I deleted that. The other mappings are defined in the Application.cfc. After deleting the Mach II mapping, it seemed that the problem went away. But during testing, it showed back up. I've been looking at the error more and it seems to be happening when we call the init() from the gateway.cfc for the first time. Such as we have a function on the gateway.cfc and in there we might have

<cfset var non_tissue_reagent = createObject("component", "ilsr.model.biomaterial.nonTissueReagent.NonTissueReagent").init() />

or

<cfset lcm_cap = createObject("component", "ilsr.model.biomaterial.lcmCap.LcmCap").init(lcm_cap_id = cap_id) />

Going to continue looking at this possibility, but if you have an idea, please let me know.

Thanks,
Marc

Peter J. Farrell

Sep 19, 2014, 4:12:42 PM9/19/14
Marc Rohrer wrote on 09/19/2014 01:41 PM:
Component cache is turned on. I did find a Mach II mapping to a different app in the CF admin. I deleted that. The other mappings are defined in the Application.cfc. After deleting the Mach II mapping, it seemed that the problem went away. But during testing, it showed back up. I've been looking at the error more and it seems to be happening when we call the init() from the gateway.cfc for the first time.
I'm without any more suggestions. It's not really a Mach-II issue as it happens with apps with no frameworks as well. Do you have the option in the admin to "Cache web server paths" turned on?  This features has always been error prone.

Also, have deleted all the .class files that CF generated? Cleared both caches (template and component)? And restarted the CF service? Things have been known to get stuck in Adobe CF's caching junk.
--
Peter J. Farrell
OpenBD Steering Committee / Mach-II Lead Developer

Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/

Kurt Wiersma

Sep 19, 2014, 9:54:27 PM9/19/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
I would try turning the component cache off as well. I have seen it get confused with mappings after several requests under ACF 9.0.x. I am pretty sure this isn't a Mach II issue but rather a CF one.

--Kurt

Peter J. Farrell

Sep 19, 2014, 11:57:47 PM9/19/14
Kurt Wiersma wrote on 09/19/2014 08:54 PM:
> I would try turning the component cache off as well. I have seen it
> get confused with mappings after several requests under ACF 9.0.x. I
> am pretty sure this isn't a Mach II issue but rather a CF one.
I agree -- we run everything under OpenBD and see none of this craziness.

Pete Lombardo

Sep 21, 2014, 8:37:21 AM9/21/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
I'm a noob of Mach II myself but a similar error has recently plagued me. There are two comments.

One: try putting your component calls in a simple test file in your web root. You'll either get no error or a more informative one. It sidesteps machii and just tests your cf.

The other is just how cryptic these can be. Mine was a cd error but it was really caused by a change in the way a dependent Java package was called from within the Java VM folder (Amazonws in this case) Switching to an older version of the vm got it working. Fwiw.

Marc Rohrer

Sep 29, 2014, 11:26:56 AM9/29/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
I did all the things you suggested, but continued to get errors. I finally found the issue, but unsure why it is happening. It was the mappings being set in the Application.cfc. When I added the mappings through CF Admin, the errors went away. Right now, not sure why, so I will need to troubleshoot that. But here is some information in case you see something I'm doing drastically wrong. Remember, this does work with sparatic errors for missing components, which do go away we page refresh.

The application directory structure

ilsr
config
controllers
model
lib
machII
public
Application.cfc
index.cfm
mach-ii.cfc

Then on the Application.cfc I have the following mappings:

<cfset this.mappings["/ilsr"] = expandPath("../ilsr")>
<cfset this.mappings["/machII"] = expandPath("../lib/machII")>

If you need additional information, let me know.

Thanks,
Marc

Peter J. Farrell

Sep 29, 2014, 1:12:27 PM9/29/14

Marc Rohrer wrote on 09/29/2014 10:26 AM:
> I did all the things you suggested, but continued to get errors. I
> finally found the issue, but unsure why it is happening. It was the
> mappings being set in the Application.cfc. When I added the mappings
> through CF Admin, the errors went away. Right now, not sure why, so I
> will need to troubleshoot that. But here is some information in case
> you see something I'm doing drastically wrong.

Thanks for the update. Definitely sounds like something is broken with
Adobe CF10 and setting mappings at the Application.cfc level. Somehow
I'm not surprised...