logging property hanging on expired session

Brian FitzGerald

Aug 1, 2013, 1:40:34 AM8/1/13
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I am running Mach-II 1.8.1 and trying to figure something out related to the Logging Property.

I am noticing that when I have the MachIILog enabled in the Logging Property and my session expires (i.e. by manually clearing CFID and CFTOKEN cookies in the chrome dev tools) and then I refresh the page, the app spins until it times out. When I disable the MachIILog in the Logging Property and follow the same steps, the page reloads quickly with no problems.

Has anyone else seen any behavior like this? Or I wonder if it could be something unique to my app somehow? Thanks for any insight, I would love to get this resolved.

All the Best,
Brian

Brian FitzGerald

Aug 12, 2013, 1:36:58 AM8/12/13
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
As a follow up here, I am noticing also that when the MachII Logger is enabled, regardless of clearing cookies, my app runs very slowly.

What's weird is that the times reported by the mach-ii logger (in the browser output) are rather quick, but the page is still very slow. For example, the Mach-II logger will report the total execution time for a page was 500 milliseconds, but in Chrome dev tools, I will see that that page request actually took 10 seconds or so to return the markup (please see attached screenshot).

When I turn the logger off, the Chrome Dev tools reported time is much quicker (more like the actual 500ms reported by the logger). The point of all this is that I'm trying to performance tune my app, but anytime I turn the logger on to get some insight my page requests screech to a halt. Does anyone else see this behavior when they use the logger on their own sites? Can any performance tuning studs point me in the right direction?

I am determined to make this app fast! Thanks!

Brian Klaas

Aug 12, 2013, 9:25:46 AM8/12/13
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian -

I find that the in-browser logger does make things pretty slow. I use the stdout logger instead and have that running in a console window while I'm working on my Mach-II applications. It doesn't make things all pretty like the in-browser logger does, but making the output pretty is largely what causes the page load times to be much longer. It's kind of like (but not as bad as) cfdump-ing a large structure where you have to create a lot of inline CSS and HTML markup.

brian

Brian FitzGerald

Nov 19, 2013, 4:02:45 PM11/19/13
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
Hey Brian,

Thanks a lot for your response man! It's silly but somehow this one slipped past me (hence the 32 week delay on the reply) :)

As much as I love the information it provides, I have turned off the logger for now and I have not run into the application hanging as it was before. I will look into the stdout logger you mentioned.

Thanks again Brian!

Brian