Closest PHP Framework to Mach-II

Collectonian

Apr 17, 2014, 9:36:31 AM4/17/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
Our shop is moving from ColdFusion to PHP.  It's not our (developers) choice and while I love CF, I can certainly understand our boss' argument that ColdFusion is dying.

Anyway, with our ColdFusion apps, we've been using Mach-II for the last 4 or 5 years. We're comfortable with it, like the way its organized, flexibility, etc.  With the move to PHP, we've been looking at frameworks but thus far have had little success in finding anything even remotely similar to Mach-II in general nature and philosophy.  Besides the headache of sorting through way too many frameworks, the most popular ones seem geared more towards "here, configure me and magic happens and poof you have an app".  We've been trying CakePHP but it's been an extreme exercise in frustration and left me feeling more like an configuration person than a application developer since you write very little code yourself.

So do you guys know of any PHP framework that might be closer in philosophy to Mach-II and without all the automagical stuff that's worth looking at?

Thanks,

S. Wilson

Harry Klein

Apr 17, 2014, 10:14:01 AM4/17/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com

If I would develop in PHP, I would probably choose Laravel (http://laravel.com/)

This tuts+ course should fit very nicely, as you are trying to port your shop to PHP:

https://tutsplus.com/course/laravel-ecommerce-application/

Cheers,

Harry

AJ Ferrigno

Apr 17, 2014, 11:01:52 AM4/17/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
My personal favorite is CodeIgniter (http://ellislab.com/codeigniter). Everything except views is done in PHP objects, so there is similarity to using CFCs as heavily as Mach-II does. It's also fairly lightweight and easy to learn, with great helper methods especially for the database layer if you want to use them. No XML at all - not sure if you like that aspect of Mach-II or not, but I feel like more modern frameworks are doing away with the idea of XML in the controller layer in favor of regular objects. I've used this for one of my sites and found it is a lot of fun. I know what you mean about CakePHP, and I don't feel like I'm dealing with magic when I'm writing with CodeIgniter.

Peter J. Farrell

Apr 17, 2014, 1:18:16 PM4/17/14
Collectonian said the following on 04/17/2014 08:36 AM:
Our shop is moving from ColdFusion to PHP.  It's not our (developers) choice and while I love CF, I can certainly understand our boss' argument that ColdFusion is dying.
About two years ago, we started the switch of languages at work. We decided on Python after many months due the ecosystem, community and availability of quality devs.  We're using Django and Django CMS full time now (we do have some legacy stuff in the midst of rewrites).  I know it's not a PHP suggestion, but we felt the PHP choices were lacking (they could have improved in the intervening years).
--
Peter J. Farrell
OpenBD Steering Committee / Mach-II Lead Developer

Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/

Summer Wilson

Apr 17, 2014, 1:23:27 PM4/17/14
to mach-ii-for...@googlegroups.com
The catch with CodeIgniter is that EllisLab announced last year that they don't want to keep it up anymore and thus far, no one has taken it over as owner.  I doubt EllisLab will continue keeping it up indefinitely until a new owner is found (if one ever is). :-(

~~ Summer S. Wilson
Collectonian on Yahoo! Messenger/GTalk and pretty much every where else

   * An Eclectic World: http://eclectic-world.com ~ Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Collectonian
   * LiveJournal: http://collectonian.livejournal.com ~ Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/collectonian/

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Mach-II for CFML" group.