works on the web M2 but not on my Mac

Irena Swanson

Apr 3, 2024, 6:01:51 PMApr 3
to Macaulay2
I have the latest version of Macaulay2 on my Mac, version 1.23.  I would like the following to work on my Mac just like it works on the web version of M2. It is curious that there is a difference in success.

For a minimal example I created a file test1.23 with the following 5 lines:

R = QQ[x]
T = R[Y]
S = T/ideal(Y^2+3)
1/(x+3)
1/(Y+3)

When I run
input "test1.23"
on my Mac, for the last input line I get the error

1/(Y+3)
test1.23:5:2:(3):[5]: error: not implemented yet: fraction fields of polynomial rings over rings other than ZZ, QQ, or a finite field
test1.23:5:2:(3):[5]: --entering debugger (type help to see debugger commands)
test1.23:5:0-5:5: --source code:
1/(Y+3)

whereas when I run this on the web (version 1.23.0.1), after uploading local file, the output is
i1 : input "test1.23"
ii2 : R = QQ[x]
oo2 =
oo2 : PolynomialRing
ii3 : T = R[Y]
oo3 =
 oo3 : PolynomialRing
ii4 : S = T/ideal(Y^2+3)
oo4 =
oo4 : QuotientRing
ii5 : 1/(x+3)
oo5 =
oo5 : frac
ii6 : 1/(Y+3)
oo6 =
 oo6 : frac

Any ideas on how to make this work on my computer?

Thanks!
Irena

Paul Zinn-Justin

Apr 3, 2024, 7:43:51 PMApr 3
to maca...@googlegroups.com
I plead guilty. The web version is ahead of the official version by a few PRs, including the one that makes fraction fields of iterated polynomial rings work.

Irena Swanson

Apr 5, 2024, 2:45:19 PMApr 5
to maca...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

I understand that there is a difference.  Thank you for working on these leaps in functionality!

And I am rooting for the more general fraction fields in M2 in the future. [Actually, I need a reduced echelon form of a matrix over S, instead I had to write a row-reduction function that calls for the division as in my example.]

With best regards,
Irena

Doug

Apr 6, 2024, 12:30:18 AMApr 6
to Macaulay2
Well, I'm confused. The output in Irena's got garbled somehow since Y+31 is nonsense. But the real issue I have is that
QQ[Y]/ideal(Y^2+3) let alone R[Y]/ideal(Y^2+3), should change the input 1/(Y+3) into a canonical form (-Y+3)/12
(and 1/(Y+x) into (-Y+x)/(x^2+3)).

Doug Leonard

mike stillman

Apr 8, 2024, 3:19:11 PMApr 8
to Macaulay2
Paul, is this PR in development yet? I don't see any other PR of yours open...  But it doesn't seem to work for me either using deverlopment... -- Mike

Paul Zinn-Justin

Apr 8, 2024, 6:49:11 PMApr 8
to maca...@googlegroups.com
sorry no, PR is still in my internal pipeline, coming real soon!