Macaulay2: Under the hood

Christine Berkesch

Jun 28, 2024, 12:45:34 PMJun 28
to Macaulay2
Dear all,
This is advertise a new occasional online seminar series “Macaulay2: under the hood”

exploring mathematical, algorithmic, and software issues behind the M2 software program.  We hope to be accessible to a range of backgrounds, and all are welcome.

The first talk 1 hour meeting will take place on

June 25, 2024 at 8:30 PDT, 10:30 CDT, 11:30 EDT, 16:30 BST, 17:30 CEST

Zoom info:

https://umn.zoom.us/j/97268778504?pwd=VU9OeG1uWjcrcStNK2pKVW5BbENZUT09

Meeting code: 972 6877 8504

Password: Macaulay2

Speaker: Mike Stillman (Cornell) (M2 developer)

Abstract:

This is the first talk in the “M2: under the hood” series. The idea of this series is to understand Macaulay2 in more depth; in particular, understand how its computations work, in order to be able to more effectively use Macaulay2.

In this first talk, I will first describe the overall structure of the Macaulay2 system (the different parts: interpreter, engine, Core, packages, GitHub repository, git issues, and so on). After that, we will focus on one of the main computations in Macaulay2, computing free resolutions and minimal Betti numbers. We will provide an overview of the algorithm(s) used, the different ways one can call free resolutions, how they differ, and how Macaulay2 caches its results. We will also discuss how to speed up computations (if possible!) and how to deal with inhomogeneous and multi-graded input ideals or modules.

Best,
Christine Berkesch, Diane Maclagan, and Mike Stillman

Sebastian Calvo

Jun 28, 2024, 7:30:36 PMJun 28
to Macaulay2
This sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to it but is there a typo in the date?