Lineality Space Not Compatible Issue in Polyhedra

Griffin E

Apr 9, 2024, 1:37:52 PMApr 9
to Macaulay2
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, so I apologize if this is not enough information. I'm trying to construct a fan by adding three cones using "addCone", but it gives the error: "Cannot add cone with different lineality space" even though, as far as I can tell, this is not the case. I'm not very fluent in this part of M2, so I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Here's the code:
loadPackage Polyhedra
v1 = matrix{{-2,-1, -1, 2, 0, 1, -1, 0, 0, 2}}
v2 = matrix {{-2,-1,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,1}}
-- All these run the same error: "Cannot add cone with different lineality space"
addCone(coneFromHData((-1)*v1, (v1-v2)),fan coneFromHData(v1, v2))
addCone(coneFromHData((-1)*v1, (v1-v2)),fan coneFromHData(v2, v1))
addCone(coneFromHData(v1, v2),fan coneFromHData(v2, v1))
-- Comparing the lineality spaces, they all seem equal
image(linealitySpace(coneFromHData((-1)*v1, (v1-v2)))) == image(linealitySpace(coneFromHData(v1, v2)))
image(linealitySpace(coneFromHData(v1, v2))) == image(linealitySpace(coneFromHData(v2, v1)))
image(linealitySpace(coneFromHData((-1)*v1, (v1-v2)))) == image(linealitySpace(coneFromHData(v2, v1)))

I'm not sure what is going wrong - the other 50 fans I construct using the same method do not throw this error; before this issue, I believed the construction would work in all generality. I have one more example of the same issue, but it is no more illuminating than this one.

I am happy to post the other example or any more information that may help diagnose the issue. I'm running v.1.23 locally, though it also errors online. I am open to all advice

Thank you!
Griffin