memory issue when forming projective bundle with Schubert2

Samir Canning

Nov 1, 2022, 2:46:29 PM11/1/22
to Macaulay2
I need to compute a codimension 16 Chow class that I obtain from pushing forward a class on a projective bundle over the base. To start, I write

loadPackage "Schubert2"
B=base(16,Bundle=>(V4,15,"q"))
BR=intersectionRing(B)
PV4=projectiveBundle(V4)

After the last line, my computer, which only has 8gb RAM, returns the error
 Too many heap sections: Increase MAXHINCR or MAX_HEAP_SECTS
/bin/sh: line 1:  3747 Abort trap: 6
Process M2 exited abnormally with code 134

My understanding is that this means I am running out of memory. I have tried to increase MAX_HEAP_SECTS to 8gb, but I still get the same error.

PV4 is a high dimensional object, but naively I thought that forming this projective bundle would not be very memory intensive. After all, isn't it just adjoining one variable to BR and one relation?

I am curious if I am doing something incorrectly, or if there is a reasonable estimate for how much RAM I will need to do this computation.

Thank you!
Best,
Samir Canning