Compute sheaf cohomology on P1xP1

Daniel Platt

Apr 17, 2024, 9:53:21 AMApr 17
to Macaulay2
I want to define a monad bundle on P1xP1 and compute its sheaf cohomology groups. As a toy example, say I want to compute the cohomology groups of the kernel of {{x,y,u,v}}, where (x:y) and (u:v) are coordinates on the two P1 factors respectively.

I found two ways to define P1xP1. However, in both cases the last line attempting to compute the cohomology gives the error "expected degree length 1".

Way 1:
needsPackage "SegreClasses"
R = makeProductRing(QQ,{1,1})
F = sheaf ker matrix {{a,b,c,d}}
HH^0(F)

Way 2:
needsPackage "TateOnProducts"
(S,E) = productOfProjectiveSpaces{1,1}
F = sheaf ker matrix {{x_(0,0),x_(1,0),x_(0,1),x_(1,1)}}
HH^0(F)

Alternatively, I could view P1xP1 as a smooth quadric in P3 under the Segre embedding. But I don't know how to define the sheaf in terms of the coordinates on P3. How can I compute the cohomology groups I'm after?

Mahrud Sayrafi

Apr 17, 2024, 10:00:26 AMApr 17
to maca...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Try using cohomologyMatrix instead of HH.
It would be good if HH automatically used that algorithm, but that's not currently the case.

Mahrud

Daniel Platt

Apr 17, 2024, 10:07:01 AMApr 17
to Macaulay2
Neat, thanks for the answer.

So the right thing to do would then be the following? I.e. not convert the module ker matrix {{x_(0,0),x_(1,0),x_(0,1),x_(1,1)}} to a sheaf.

needsPackage "TateOnProducts"
(S,E) = productOfProjectiveSpaces{1,1}
F = ker matrix {{x_(0,0),x_(1,0),x_(0,1),x_(1,1)}}
low = {-2,-2};high={2,2};
cohomologyMatrix(F,low,high)

Does this then compute the sheaf cohomology of F viewed as a sheaf? I don't know much algebra, so I wonder if that could be some different cohomology.