installation issues with brew, os X, monterey, silicon (arm64)

Sorin Popescu

Jun 13, 2022, 3:25:49 PM6/13/22
to Macaulay2
Hi Mahrud, Dan and Mike,

 I've tried yesterday to install to install on my new Mac, via brew, the latest Macaulay2, and I ran into the following problem:

 The file

 https://github.com/Macaulay2/homebrew-tap/releases/download/normaliz-3.9.3/normaliz-3.9.3.arm64_monterey.bottle.tar.gz

doesn't exists but GitHub seems to contain ...

 https://github.com/Macaulay2/homebrew-tap/releases/download/normaliz-3.9.3/normaliz-3.9.3.arm64_monterey.1.bottle.tar.gz

Can somebody please fix this ? Many thanks in advance

Sorin

Here is the log:

==> Downloading https://github.com/Macaulay2/homebrew-tap/releases/download/normaliz-3.9.3/normaliz-3.9.3.arm64_monterey.bottle.tar.gz

curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404

Error: macaulay2: Failed to download resource "normaliz"

Download failed: https://github.com/Macaulay2/homebrew-tap/releases/download/normaliz-3.9.3/normaliz-3.9.3.arm64_monterey.bottle.tar.gz

Here is my brew configuration:

~ sorin$ brew config

HOMEBREW_VERSION: 3.5.1

ORIGIN: https://github.com/Homebrew/brew

HEAD: 2258ba5797c1ea8149a49673b5c080011c366237

Last commit: 6 days ago

Core tap ORIGIN: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core

Core tap HEAD: c5e07e21cf2d50c32290eb45e27acc4c7ea4f61a

Core tap last commit: 11 hours ago

Core tap branch: master

HOMEBREW_PREFIX: /opt/homebrew

HOMEBREW_CASK_OPTS: []

HOMEBREW_CORE_GIT_REMOTE: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core

HOMEBREW_DISPLAY: /private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.Ry6W1cUqAB/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

HOMEBREW_MAKE_JOBS: 10

Homebrew Ruby: 2.6.8 => /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/bin/ruby

CPU: 10-core 64-bit arm_firestorm_icestorm

Clang: 13.1.6 build 1316

Git: 2.32.1 => /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/git

Curl: 7.79.1 => /usr/bin/curl

macOS: 12.4-arm64

CLT: 13.4.0.0.1.1651278267

Xcode: 13.4.1

Rosetta 2: false

Mahrud Sayrafi

Jun 13, 2022, 3:37:24 PM6/13/22
to maca...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It is fixed now.

I should say, currently only Normaliz is "bottled" for Macaulay2 on Apple M1 systems, so brew will build everything else from source (which should not require anything else from you, just takes longer).

You can also try the following, which is much faster:
brew install macaulay2 --HEAD
brew install macaulay2-common
The first command builds Macaulay2 without generating the documentation from scratch and the second command downloads only the documentation and puts them in the right directory.

Best,
Mahrud

mike stillman

Jun 13, 2022, 3:52:37 PM6/13/22
to Macaulay2
I need to remind myself (or have Mahrud remind me!) how to build the other bottles.  I built the errant one while at the M2 meeting in Cleveland.  Mahrud, do you know why it didn't work?  And what I should do to build the other apple M1 bottles?

Best,

Mike

Sorin Popescu

Jun 13, 2022, 11:12:28 PM6/13/22
to maca...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Mahrud and Mike!

Sorin
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macaulay2/CAA3cHpssafVr%3D7utmMrXHELvmdv4Dy-jPgj2%3DvPDJwvu%2BPXuGw%40mail.gmail.com.

Mahrud Sayrafi

Sep 23, 2022, 9:04:05 AM9/23/22
to maca...@googlegroups.com
Mike and I bottled M2 and its dependencies and uploaded them to GitHub, so installing M2 on M1 (specifically arm64_monterey) straight from a homebrew bottle (i.e. without compiling anything) should now be possible.

Best,
Mahrud