extracting submodules

Paul Zinn-Justin

Mar 3, 2022, 7:52:14 PM3/3/22
to maca...@googlegroups.com
This may be obvious but here's the question:
start from R=QQ[x,y].
Define a (possible infinite-rank) module over R, e.g., of the form
S=R[a,b,c]/(x*a^2-y*b*c)
S is infinite-rank, but the graded pieces (where the degree is here in a,b,c only) are finite-rank.
The question is, how to get M2 to extract these graded pieces as modules over R?

Frank Moore

Mar 4, 2022, 8:54:45 AM3/4/22
to Macaulay2
I believe something like this will work.  It computes the module you are after in degree d:

R = QQ[x,y]
S = R[a,b,c]
I = ideal (x*a^2 - y^2*b*c)
T = S/I
d = 3
-- the command is called 'basis' but really only returns a generating set in situations such as the two uses below:
degGenSet = sub(basis(d,T),S)
relsFromI = coefficients(gens image basis(d,I), Monomials => degGenSet)
M = coker sub(last relsFromI,R)

I haven't tried this on a more complicated example yet but perhaps this is good enough to get started?

Best,
Frank

Dr. W. Frank Moore
Associate Professor