Best place to start with Mac Development

Adam

Jan 8, 2011, 8:43:33 AM1/8/11
to Mac Development - UK & EU
Hello,

What's the best place to start with Mac Development?

I've been trying to find the time for a couple of years to start
working on some Mac Apps but haven't really looked into it enough. I
got round to registering with Apple and then other events took over.

Cocoa? Is that the best thing to work in or is there better?

Some time ago I used to do VB programming and I'm use to PHP.

Any pointers greatly appreciated! Who knows, this year might be the
year I actually write the thing I want to!

Simon Maddox

Jan 8, 2011, 8:49:45 AM1/8/11
to mac-develo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Adam,

The best book, in my opinion, is Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass:

It's a brilliant introduction for beginners, and will give you the knowledge you need to start building both Mac apps and iOS apps.

Also take a look at developer.apple.com/mac, but the information there can often be a bit too in-depth for beginners.

Hope it helps!

Simon

Adam

Jan 8, 2011, 8:55:27 AM1/8/11
to Mac Development - UK & EU
Thanks Simon. Hilliegass rang a bell and lo and behold I have the
book :p Must have got further along than I thought. It hasn't been
read so that can go in with the pile of Christmas reading!

Nick Charlton

Jan 8, 2011, 8:55:49 AM1/8/11
to Mac Development - UK & EU
I'm a good way into Cocoa Programming by Daniel H Steinberg (http://
www.amazon.co.uk/Cocoa-Programming-Quick-Start-Developers-Programmers/dp/1934356301/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294494808&sr=8-2
or http://www.pragprog.com/titles/dscpq/cocoa-programming).

It's a good book if you're already competent developing for other
platforms, and so far has provided enough exercises, and handholding
to make learning relatively fast for me.

Nick.

Adam

Jan 8, 2011, 8:57:56 AM1/8/11
to Mac Development - UK & EU
Thanks Nick - will take a look at that one too.