First NXT-G video

Dave Parker

Sep 11, 2011, 10:43:11 PM9/11/11
to M Academy
Here is a first test video on NXT-G programming. Agonizingly slow, it
is the first my in my series "Programming for Morons". and is "Video
1-1: Make Sure You Have a Pulse"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFtL37VmM18

It is 9.5 minutes of your life that you may wish you had back
afterwards, but nevertheless, I know that there are some people out
there who need a very basic introduction, so here is the first in the
series.

Let me know what you think. Viewing it now, I am thinking that the
audio level is a bit high (too loud). And I might have fallen asleep
a couple of times during it. Other comments?

I used Clinton's intro slide template, reformatted for 16:9 and with
the colors tweaked a bit for better contrast, and then added an exit
slide of my own, where in the blank space at the bottom I would add
annotation links to the next video and table of contents video.

Note that in the YouTube video description (which YouTube only allows
a very short first line before it gets truncated to the point where
nobody will notice it), I put a link to robotvideoacademy.com.

-- Dave

Clinton Blackmore

Sep 12, 2011, 8:03:46 PM9/12/11
to m-ac...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

I like it.  It is very thorough!  While I'm not sure I could watch it more than once, anyone who does watch it should be able to understand the palettes, how to pull out a block, and download and run a simple program.  At the point where I was going to say, "Okay, show me the robot!", you brought the menus up on screen, and explained things with a great diagram.

I liked the end slide, too.  Why not get a little credit for making the videos?  (The name and URL on the opening slide are nice, but the last slide makes it clear who is making the videos and what it is about.)  [Now, if only I had content on my website to make it worth sending people to.]

Nitpicks?  I thought it was slightly odd that you zoomed in to show the 'X' button in the upper right-hand corner, but zoomed out before the mouse actually clicked on it.  In looking at it again, though, I imagine that was to more clearly show the effect of hitting the button and it was pretty clear where it was.

Oh, drat.  I forgot to send out a link to the free Futured font when I send out the powerpoint file.  Would you be willing to install it and re-do the starting slide part, so that that the lettering matches that in the logo and is consistent between videos?  Then I'll be more than happy to give my vote of approval for the video.

Nicely done, Dave.
Clinton