Feedback requested for Headbot

Clinton Blackmore

Oct 24, 2011, 9:56:36 AM10/24/11
to m-ac...@googlegroups.com
Greetings, all.

Aside from trying to get Enchanting 0.0.9 ready, I've been documenting a headbot design.  I have some videos in progress, but would appreciate some feedback on the building instructions.

The aim is to make a really simple, modular robot that can be built and programmed in one class period.  I think that someone familiar with the NXT should be able to build the robot with a full base in under twenty minutes, without complications.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Clinton

Dave Parker

Oct 24, 2011, 12:58:50 PM10/24/11
to M Academy
Hi Clinton,

It looks like a quick build and a flexible way to have some fun
learning. Although my first impression was "What's a Headbot?" and it
wasn't really clarified until the end of BIs, and then still only a
guess. A human/animal head I guess?

My only feedback on the BIs, and you probably already realize this, is
that although using different part colors makes the BIs significantly
easier to see and follow the assembly, it can and will cause some
confusion finding parts. I have found that kids are extremely color-
oriented when trying to find parts. Color is the first thing they
notice when looking at the part, they assume that color = function,
and it is the main thing they scan for when looking for it. Amazingly
so, I have found, to the point where they don't even know the shape
they are looking for very well. Especially beginners to the kit, do
not understand that the critical aspect of a part is, say, that is is
a 3x5 angle beam, they really don't know what to think, so they take
the picture very literally, and after looking at it, only seem to
remember the color well. If you hear them pronounce what they are
looking for, it will inevitably be something like "a red thingy".
Lacking the Technic vocabulary (or experience), color becomes even
more of a focus.

So if you want to go this way, I think you need at least some kind of
warning or disclaimer at the beginning regarding the part colors.

-- Dave

Clinton Blackmore

Oct 24, 2011, 3:49:20 PM10/24/11
to m-ac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave.

I appreciate the feedback.  I've added comments inline.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Dave Parker <bl...@nxtprograms.com> wrote:
Hi Clinton,

It looks like a quick build and a flexible way to have some fun
learning.  Although my first impression was "What's a Headbot?" and it
wasn't really clarified until the end of BIs, and then still only a
guess.  A human/animal head I guess?

A headbot is a simple robot that turns its head in response to some stimulus.  (They aren't uncommon in BEAM-style robotics; I got the idea from "Junkbots, Bugbots, and Bots On Wheels".)  It is designed to be simple to control while letting you learn about using some of the sensors.  I particularly aim to show students how to use two or one light sensors to look towards/away from light, and to use an ultrasonic sensor to detect nearby objects.  I see that I should offer a definition in the videos, and, true enough, the building instructions did not show a robot assembled out of all of the modules.

[...]

Wow.  Thanks.  I have been concerned about the colours, and decided that, since they are different in every NXT kit, the best way to go it to use colours that are different from every kit.  I had contemplated doing multiple versions with different colours to match the different kits, and, even though it could be partially automated, I was hoping that the extra work would not be necessary.  Your comments make me think I'd best reconsider!

So if you want to go this way, I think you need at least some kind of
warning or disclaimer at the beginning regarding the part colors.

I suppose I'd better put a disclaimer for now.

-- Dave

Thanks!

And how are your videos coming, Dave?  Will we be seeing some more up at nxtprograms.com soon?

Cheers,
Clinton

Dave Parker

Oct 25, 2011, 7:05:19 PM10/25/11
to M Academy

> And how are your videos coming, Dave?  Will we be seeing some more up at
> nxtprograms.com soon?

Well, producing my videos is on hold for a bit. I have had my hands
full recently with designing some activities for the 9797 set, and
longer term, I am considering different options on how to deliver
these videos, which will affect what is in them, so I am holding off
on making more for a while. Given the amount of time it is going to
take to produce them, and that I am also working with LEGO Education a
bit on their teacher training, I am thinking about trying to kill two
birds with one stone here and am considering working with LEGO Ed to
produce a combined curriculum/video series, perhaps as a hybrid free/
paid YouTube/DVD series, or other options. It may take a while to
sort this all out, so not sure what to expect from me timeline-wise at
this point.

Is anyone else actively planning any videos?

-- Dave