Website is up!

1 view

Clinton Blackmore

Sep 14, 2011, 2:27:56 AM9/14/11
to m-ac...@googlegroups.com
Greetings, everyone.

We have a website up: http://www.robotvideoacademy.org/
(Okay, so it isn't pretty, yet).

After a failed attempt to modify and deploy the code used by Khan Academy, I've put up a Wordpress blog.

I will create 'contributor' accounts for anyone who would like one.  The contributor account is your gateway to the 'beta stream' of videos.  It'll give you a username and password.  Contributors are able to set up their posts and submit them for publishing.  They can also look at other people's posts.  When a post has been approved by two people other than the author -- for now we'll use the mailing list for that purpose (but I'm open to suggestions) -- then I'll go in and make it live.

(I recognize that my Ferris Wheel series of videos for Enchanting still require one more person to approve them before they go live, but I wanted to have something up for you to look at, if you are reading this and don't have an account.)

Good news:

- Wordpress is a very friendly blogging environment.
- The post provides the location for questions on your video.  Please disable comments on your youtube page.
- The blog should show recent comments in the left-hand corner, so we can watch for them and reply to them.  (I do believe individual authors are more fully notified.)
- Embedding a youtube video is super easy.  In the pane where you can type in data for a new post, you paste in the link to the video.  That's it.  Wordpress even automagically sets the size of the video to fit the page theme.

Bad news:

- It is not clear to me that we can automatically add 'previous' and 'next' links to videos in your sequence.  They may need to be done manually.

Other news:

- Please disable comments on you RVA youtube videos.
- Please choose a category and tags for your videos.  Your welcome to create new tags.
- If you need help with putting up a post, give me a shout.
- If anyone has some wordpress expertise, has thoughts on how things should be set up, or is willing to look for a good theme or beneficial plugins, I'd love the help.
- I finally have building instructions up.  I was going to annotate my video with an overlay that links to them, but you can only link to things on youtube.  (Darn!)

Cheers,
Clinton Blackmore

Clinton Blackmore

Sep 14, 2011, 2:42:29 AM9/14/11
to m-ac...@googlegroups.com
Once you have an account, the URL to log in is:

Cheers,
Clinton