LZ4 as binaries (license)

Keerthi Niranjan

Dec 6, 2017, 12:54:42 AM12/6/17
to LZ4c
`LZ4 library is provided as open source software using a BSD license`

Can anyone please let me know what's the license for using the lz4 as binaries?

Thanks in advance :)

Evan Nemerson

Dec 6, 2017, 11:48:40 AM12/6/17
to lz...@googlegroups.com
The same license governs the binaries; they're derivatives of the
source. While the libraries are BSD licensed, the executables shipped
with LZ4 are GPLv2. Both licenses address binaries.

The BSD license
(<https://github.com/lz4/lz4/blob/dev/lib/LICENSE>) is very easy to
understand, I'd suggest just reading it. Basically, you just need to
include a notice in the documentation for your program.

The GPLv3 is a bit more complicated, but the FSF has a pretty good FAQ
at <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html> which
answers most of the common questions.

-Evan

On Tue, 2017-12-05 at 21:54 -0800, Keerthi Niranjan wrote:
> `*LZ4 library is provided as open source software using a BSD
> license*`

Keerthi Niranjan

Dec 6, 2017, 11:54:54 AM12/6/17
to LZ4c
Hi Evan

Thank you very much for the clarification

- Keerthi Niranjan