Briefing with Rep. Sarbanes on HR1

Jessica Jones Capparell

Jan 30, 2019, 3:51:21 PM1/30/19
to lwv-money-...@googlegroups.com, lwv-redi...@googlegroups.com, League of Women Voters State Leaders

Many of you know that the very first bill in the new House is a bold and decisive groundbreaking reform package -- the For the People Act, (H.R. 1). It includes voting rights, campaign finance and anti-corruption ethics reforms. The League has been meeting with members of Congress, issuing action alerts, and supporting this bill wholeheartedly.

Tomorrow, the lead sponsor of the bill, Representative John Sarbanes (D-MD), will hold a call to talk with activists around the country about how they can engage on this legislation. You can sign up to join this call here.

The bill already has over 225 co-sponsors, enough support to pass in the House. But first, H.R. 1 must make its way through the committee process. It’s essential that we build pressure to ensure that the final bill is as big and bold as possible.

The fact that House leadership has made reforming the democratic process their priority speaks to the need and urgency of the moment we’re in as a country. We need all of us to work together in concert to keep the focus on the need for voting rights, campaign finance, and anti-corruption ethics reform, as embodied by the For the People Act.

What: Call with Representative Sarbanes on HR1, the For the People Act

When: Thursday, January 31st

Time:  8:30 PM ET/5:30 PM PT (you can also dial in by phone).

Sign Up Here! (You can join by video or phone only)

We hope you will be able to take advantage of this opportunity. Thanks for everything you do for the League!

Jessica

Jessica Jones Capparell (she/her)

Policy and Legislative Affairs Senior Manager

League of Women Voters of the United States

1730 M St, NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20036

(202) 263-1328 | jjonesc...@lwv.org

lwv.org

Facebook | Twitter

cid:image001.jpg@01D428E7.D9853850

Jessica Jones Capparell

Jan 30, 2019, 8:28:06 PM1/30/19
to Barbara Klein, lwv-money-...@googlegroups.com, lwv-redi...@googlegroups.com, League of Women Voters State Leaders
Great question Barbara.

After you register, you’ll receive an email with multiple ways to participate. The phone dial in is near the bottom.

Cheers,
Jessica

--
Jessica Jones Capparell