Formal structure of Fairmaps/Fairdistricts organizations

Jennifer Bremer

Jul 9, 2018, 8:02:34 PM7/9/18
to LWV Redistricting
We're considering setting up a website branded with fairmaps or fairdistricts as we move toward broadening collaboration on redistricting. We know there are several out there and would appreciate guidance on your experience with each of the following:
  • website only (virtual organization)
  • c(3) organization:  League "owned"/managed or a separate organization with its own board, etc. or something else...
  • c(4) organization (same questions)
What have you found to be the advantages or disadvantages of going c(3) or c(4)?  Thanks!
Jennifer
Dr. Jennifer Bremer
Bremer....@gmail.com
mobile:  +1 301 955 6333
twitter: JBremerDevt

Please note that the gmail is my permanent personal address and that the order of my name is REVERSED (someone else uses jennife...@gmail.com).

Jessica Jones Capparell

Jul 11, 2018, 12:11:39 PM7/11/18
to Jennifer Bremer, LWV Redistricting

Hi Jennifer--

I'm happy to talk through this with you. Other Leagues have joined coalition efforts that support this type of structure, but there are many things to consider before moving forward. Why don't we set up a time to chat?

-Jessica

Jul 12, 2018, 9:40:47 AM7/12/18
to LWV Redistricting
For now we are tagging along with Fair Maps Colorado, an issue committee. We will set up our own issue committee - we think we have to because of state law - but probably won't have a separate website. We're trying to keep the messages for the campaign "controlled" so we are all saying approximately the same thing. We may direct people from our website to the Fair Maps website.
Toni

sschnee

Jul 12, 2018, 10:55:58 AM7/12/18
to LWV Redistricting
If you can continue to post the info you receive about setting up a web page, other states will appreciate access the information, too.
Sharon

Jennifer Bremer

Oct 4, 2018, 11:08:34 PM10/4/18
to LWV Redistricting
We have set up a very preliminary website within the LWVNC website (while we search for a volunteer webmaster). This can be accessed by going to www.fairdistrictsnc.org.  There are many good examples of much better websites, which you can find by searching fairdistricts or fairmaps. FairdistrictsPA is a very good one, I think. OneVirginia2021 is also good. See also Ohio's, Colorado's, Georgia's, Michigan's, New Jersey's, etc.
Jennifer