Disaster at the Border

Chris Carson

Jun 15, 2018, 9:33:03 PM6/15/18
to LWV Redistricting

This transcends specific policy focus. Please share with all members.

We’re attacking this issue from a few different angles.

  1. We’ve added the League’s name to two coalition letters. The first is from the Value Our Families Campaign and the letter opposes cuts to our family-based immigration system and the diversity visa program or ramped up enforcement measures that would further tear families apart as outlined in the Goodlatte bill up for consideration. The second letter calls on Congressional leaders to oppose actions that facilitate the Department of Homeland Security’s mass detention and deportation, especially of people of color, construction of a harmful border wall, or further border militarization. Specifically, it urges to significantly cut funds for immigration detention and enforcement within the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) budgets.
  2. Next week, we’ll be sending our own memo to the House outlining our opposition to the proposed immigration bills that are up for a vote and activating the Lobby Corps in targeted districts.
  3. Please also expect an action alert to call or email the House on this legislation at that time.
  4. If there are groups that you work with that are holding rallies or events in communities around this issue please get involved as you are able.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Jessica Jones Caparrell JJo...@lwv.org

Chris Carson, President/Chair

League of Women Voters of the United States

League of Women Voters Education Fund

1730 M Street, NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20036

Facebook: @leagueofwomenvoters    Twitter: @LWV

www.lwv.org| Making Democracy Work™ | www.VOTE411.org